GTI Turbo on Motec or other...?

An area for all matters concerning the Citroen CX.

Moderator: RichardW

Bilkob

GTI Turbo on Motec or other...?

Post by Bilkob »

As I'm easily bored I MAY be about to start a project I've long wanted to.....
A really up to date, modernised GTI Turbo with aftermarket A/C, a bit more grunt, 16"wheels, revised 'heating' system, etc, etc.....
Does anyone have any knowledge, links, thoughts about putting the whole of the engine management onto a different system, I'd welcome any suggestions
Cheers Chris

Stickyfinger
Donor 2016

Re: GTI Turbo on Motec or other...?

Post by Stickyfinger »

Bilkob

Post by Bilkob »

Ok, so progress, rather exciting in fact! I have found an ECU and tuning company who almost unbelievably have a GTI T2 belonging to one of the staff, that they’d long thought about modernising.
So, they have worked out how to get the single crank trigger to ‘talk’ to their kit ECU and are currently re-writing software to suit.
If all goes well.......I should soon have a complete plug and play ECU and loom solution that replaces ALL the Bosch, AEI, loom, etc......! and it will be tuneable...
If it works I’m wondering if this will be of interest to other Turbo owners as it should be very repeatable.
I’ve have a new replacement turbo built with 360 deg bearings, a new larger cored radiator is underway and I’ve been cleaning 30+ years of crud out of the engine bay
Next big jobs are probably engine out and new clutch and complete re-pipe of hard to get to hydraulic lines, etc...
There’s a LONG way to go but I’m determined to see this through

jamesnoble

Post by jamesnoble »

This is really interesting. The CX is capable of much more power from the standard Turbo if the ECU is modified as with the Makonics (have I spelt that right) conversion when the CX was in production. Apparently the Makonics conversion was actually very simple but Ive not found out what was actually modified on the ECU back in the day. The problem with aftermarket tunable ECU's has been the crank sensor signal on the CX, apparently due to the odd number of teath in the flywheel. CGAT I think overcame this somehow either by taking a signal from the other end of the crankshaft at the timing chain end or drilling the flywheel to create the trigger points. Anyway if your company works out a way of doing it then I for one could be interested.

Fascinating...

Bilkob

Post by Bilkob »

So, they now have the ‘sparks’ side of their T2 running from their kit ECU, meaning that their software rewrite to accommodate the CX crank trigger/flywheel tooth count works. They are working on the fuel side of the equation this week, their car already has coil on plug units, so that’s more crap out of the way
Next step is to put their car on the rolling road and get a base map, then ‘tune’ it...😬
In the meantime I’ve stripped away heater tower, bulkhead sound deadening, etc, in prep for a trial fit of the heating/A/C unit that I’m going to replace ALL of the woeful CX ventilation and ludicrously complicated wiring with
I’m not going to run an under bonnet spare wheel, or metal plate, or bent metal brace, and hopefully most of that shocking loom that runs across the top of the bulkhead will be gone too
It’s still early days, but I’ve wanted to do this for a long long time now and I think it’s do-able....
If people want, I’ll keep posting and add a few pics...

white exec
Moderating Team

Post by white exec »

Do post lots more, and some photos as things progress.
New location for the spare?

Bilkob

Post by Bilkob »

I’m probably just going to carry a repair/ inflation kit or worst case put a spare in the boot

white exec
Moderating Team

Post by white exec »

No room under the back end?

Bilkob

Post by Bilkob »

F041373F-CD14-4A35-8A76-F9B10B98E8E6.jpeg
So, a bit of progress, new hoses and clips and some cleaning...

Bilkob

Post by Bilkob »

So, a bit more progress. I’ve just had an email from the ECU developers and they now have the car running completely independently of the Bosch and AEI ‘ECUs’ proving that modern engine management can be made to work on a CX. I may well be able to get mine up and running on the first ‘customer’ kit quite soon!
I’ll keep adding updates as and when.....

Bilkob

Post by Bilkob »

So, significant progress. The company developing stand alone wiring and ECU, software now have their GTI T2 up and running completely on the new kit, ECU, wiring, base map! The first rolling road run on std boost yielded 194 bhp and 247 lbs-ft of torque.....
Hopefully, this week is engine out, engine bay re pipe and new clutch on mine......

Bilkob

Post by Bilkob »

Well, engine now out

Bilkob

Post by Bilkob »

0C8B1468-95CF-4FEF-9DA4-A3B4B19D094F.jpeg

Bilkob

Post by Bilkob »

Well, taking the engine out of a CX was as much fun as I,d anticipated... :rofl2:
There were a couple of reasons for taking it out, one, it just seemed the right thing to fit a new clutch, and I also wanted to completely renew all the engine bay hydraulic lines, so in that vein, the car is off to Plaeides sans engine. I also plan to fit a DTR T2 ‘box.
It’s a good job I did take it all out as it’s revealed that someone has secured the L/H driveshaft with a jubilee clip that has munched through the gearbox casing.... :shock:
63C37758-3003-473D-A900-B2138B6009EA.jpeg
3ECDED09-BCAA-4D7F-BCC3-C95290F2F3C4.jpeg

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Bilkob wrote:
14 Jun 2020, 07:40
Well, taking the engine out of a CX was as much fun as I,d anticipated... :rofl2:
I have long desired a CX but held off, mainly due to derisory finances but also fear of bank-breaking problems.

Your quoted sentence above was a lightbulb moment. I was in a local Citroen dealers (Grimshaw Leather) years ago to get a GS brake caliper opened up. The workshop was upstairs and very impressive for the time, almost empty and the whole of the second floor, all newly painted including the floor. In the middle sat a CX in a fairly advanced state if strip down, engine and box on the floor, which was flooded with an impressive amount of LHM and coolant.
Mechanic nodded to it and said it was in for a new clutch.

Having replaced a few clutches I thought that that was a bit too much to take on. Hence no CX although that has been forgotten until I saw your post.

Still think they are possible one of the best cars ever made, if only they were not so problematic.