207 mounting bush (pivot bush)

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

V8Sam
My Cars: Peugeot 207

207 mounting bush (pivot bush)

Post by V8Sam »

Hello peeps been searching around for an answer to this but havent had much luck so thought id ask it myself.

the rear mounting bushes on my 207 hdi GT have worn and as a result are knocking anytime you go over a bump.

i have the new bushes to replace and a pair of bolts that hold them into place as looking at my current rusty ones i think im just going to cut them out instead of trying to undo and inevitably round them off.

however i was wondering if this job is able to be done with the subframe i situ? instead of removing all the suspension and brake lines etc.

i was thinking of undoing the 4 bolts either side that mount the axle beam to the car and lower it down far enough away so i get remove the bushes, or is it only a subframe off type job?

also, the bushes that are in there, is a press needed to removal/install? or can it be done another way?

any other tips/tricks would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Sam
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: 207 mounting bush (pivot bush)

Post by RichardW »

Welcome along!

Not 100% clear -are you talking about rear axle mounting bushes, or rear mounting bushes on the front suspension somewhere?
Richard W
V8Sam

Post by V8Sam »

Ah, yes! My bad, the rear axle mounting bushes.

The ones that attcach the trailing arm/axle beam to the mount.

These ones
These ones
These ones
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

rearsusp.JPG
Item 3? Not in English... (it's a 307, but it's basically the same)

[Video No Longer Available]

the OS you need to remove the mount from the car as the through bolt fouls the tank. Note that you need to mark the mount on the car before dropping it so it goes back in the same place - there are officially pins to locate it, I have heard of it being done with AA batteries wrapped in Gaffa Tape....
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 14 Sep 2021, 10:22, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed Video Link - Video Unavailable
Richard W
V8Sam

Post by V8Sam »

Peugeot 307 are the same then eh? handy to know...

and yes, item 3, both sides i will be doing. what part am i supposed to be marking the mount with the 4 bolts holding it to the chassis? is this just to help relocate it or is it to do with wheel alignment etc?

i had a quick look at the job today, gonna need to cut out the bolt that goes though the bush anyway as that seems to be sized within the bush and what not. so hopefully wont foul the tank if its going to be cut.

whats the tool hes using called? or can it be done with another type of tool?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

I expect there's a proper tool for the job, but AFAIK the bush is not that tight, so a bolt / length of bar and a few spaces / sockets should do the trick to pull it in.

The mount with the 4 bolts has slots, and the position of the bracket affects the wheel positioning - I would imagine that 3 or 4 marks with paint will ensure you get it back where it was (there might even be a sufficient witness mark on the car body itself).
Richard W
V8Sam

Post by V8Sam »

Thanks for your replies buddy.

So, it's just a case of getting a very long bolt (as long as it fits through the bush) M14 or m12 of what ever it is...

Put a nut and washer on the end and screw that up so as it tightens it pushes/pullsthe bush into its holder?

Once I have removed both bolts securing the beam onto the car, do you know if it will drop down enough in order to remove the bushes?
V8Sam

Post by V8Sam »

Changed bushes today, pretty simple job.

Knocking noise is still there, so now I'm double confused? Shock obsorber maybe? Is there anything in these that can cause.knocking? Look simple to me, two bolts one at top one at bottom?

Or is there something else I'm missing?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Could well be one of the bushes in the damper. I had a knock from the back of my 307 that turned out to be the upper damper bush - only worked out when it eventually parted company with itself! Different design to yours by the look of it, mind you....
Richard W
V8Sam

Post by V8Sam »

So new shock you reckon? Don't think you can swap bushes out on shocks can you?

Can't think of it to be anything else?

Shocks looks pretty easy to swap out.