Sorting out the locks, 05 Dispatch

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nginmu
My Cars: Jan 2005 Dispatch 815D Enterprise

Sorting out the locks, 05 Dispatch

Post by nginmu »

Buddy has a 2005 Dispatch, 2 keys, and a round 'pebble' remote.

Key 1 works the ignition & the petrol cap

Key 2 works the 2 front doors & the back doors. It just spins in the side loading door locks & doesn't engage any manual or central locking action.

In either front door, key 2 operates central locking which locks the opposite front door as well as the front door the key's actually in, and also both side loading doors. However in neither front door, does key 2 operate central locking on the rear doors.

The rear doors are lockable with key 2, and one can hear a sort of electrical servo type noise (like a motor being forcefully driven manually by the shaft) when the key is turned. However, turning key 2 in the rear doors only results in the rear doors being locked or unlocked, there is no actual response from the central locking and all other doors remain locked or unlocked, in whatever state they were in to start with.

Key 1 sometimes 'sticks' in the ignition barrel such that if the operator doesn't have 'the knack', they cannot start the engine or release the steering lock. I can occasionally with trouble undo the steering wheel and start the ignition; the owner simply can't, he's too ham-fisted & just doesn't have the mechanical empathy required.

The 'pebble' remote supplied with the vehicle (by way of it being left in the glovebox by the last owner, but never actually referred to during sale) lights up green when either button is pressed, but it does not seem to engender any response from the vehicle. Tried walking round the vehicle closely, twice, whilst alternately pressing each button - nothing. Checked it's batteries, together they give 5.7V total.

Key 1 has a red insert on the edge, I don't know if this is access for an ID chip of some sort

In the image, key 1 is on the left.

Any suggestions that might help me get the locking system on this vehicle fixed up to a usable standard would be good
Attachments
pauls_dispatch.jpg
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Sorting out the locks, 05 Dispatch

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Before I even attempt top sift through that, I'd have to have the VIN to see what type of Carlos Fandango system is fitted - but I suspect that there may have been some 'customisation' going on here from the look of Key 1 and the sound of things - but these can have a weirs type of setup depending on commercial application. I.e. having some doors open or not is essential for the security for delivery drivers etc.

As it's a mate's van, if you don't have the VIN to hand then get the Reg. for me and I can get it from that, as there are a hundred different configurations of these vans.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
nginmu

Post by nginmu »

I used to own this van 10-odd years ago, it just recently came up for sale again & mate needed a van so I made a beeline for it, having already half a handle on it's history. Just sent it through a basic service, it's had all the usual service stuff including a cambelt & a front lower crossmember.

VIN VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Keys were not the same when I sold it 10 years ago, ISTR they were were pretty standard 'as youd expect from new', the guy I bought it from the other week did say he'd had some different locks put on because the locks had gone faulty.

He was just a private guy doing a gardening job, doesn't look like the van's gone into any corporate sort of environment since I last had it.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so as I suspected the keys are not originals, These are the ones originally supplied back in 2005:
Dispatch Keys.PNG
They even supplied spare button diaphragms back then. :shock:

Anyway, from what I can see it had simple central locking and no BSI or multiplexing, so no fancy door opening options back then. So it looks like a separate lock / locking system has been installed for one reason or another - and that is going to make it difficult to work out what has been wired into where - but evidently it has impacted on the locking system.

When an aftermarket solution has been installed it can have unintended consequences on the other locks, as from what I can see they are all supposed to open from the central locking system using the original keys.

It may of been that there was a break in the wiring to one or more of the doors and this other aftermarket unit has been fitted and wired into a power source that has its own receiver / lock.

Marc
nginmu

Post by nginmu »

Thanks. I'll do a bit more research, maybe speak to the guy who's had it for the last few years, try and find out more about what's been done. All I recall him saying when I last saw him was "It's had some new locks".

Judging by the logo on key 1, these are the guys who supplied it: http://www.jmakeys.co.uk/

What is the barrel like, mechanically? does the standard item contain a pickup coil or anything like that? or is there a pickup coil seperate to the barrel?

I'm wondering if I could replace it with a barrel / key from another vehicle. This might do nothing for the central locking, but I was wondering if this could work to solve the sticky ignition key issue (I guess, as long as I left the working jma key 1 hanging from the keyring or maybe taped it near to the barrel.. so the pickup in the steering column could still see a valid chip)

I guess this depends on how 'original' the system still is.. maybe the only change has been the provision of a cloned key?

A lot of guessing at this stage I know.

I think the vehicle does have a canbus, I had to splice into it years ago to get an aftermarket stereo working with the steering wheel volume switches or something like that IIRC, but comforting to know about the lack of BSI
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No CAN network on this (traditional electrical architecture). That harness was just a standard interface to the steering wheel controls.

Here are the locking components - some parts no longer available, but item (21) - Cylinder Block is available (part 9170AY random combination) or part 9170AZ for combination specified on ordering (to match keys).

The front locking module (1) is also still available
Dispatch Door Lock.PNG

Marc
nginmu

Post by nginmu »

No CAN network on this (traditional electrical architecture). That harness was just a standard interface to the steering wheel controls.
Ahh right - thanks.

I'm forming the impression all I might have to do, would be order a 5 door lock barrel & key set (seen them on ebay around £16), an ignition switch lock barrel & key set (also ebay around £16), and try to figure out why the rear doors central locking isn't responding? No need to get too involved in recoding things? Unless maybe I wanted to go the whole distance & get the remote central locking working too.

Im maybe overthinking this & getting confused by my recent experiences fixing the same guy's old 2005 berlingo locks, which had a pickup coil in the ignition barrel and transponder chips in the keys etc. If the dispatch is simpler then happy days :-)
nginmu

Post by nginmu »

Managed to fix up the ignition by stripping the barrel & removing a worn pin pair. Key turns fully now with ease on every insertion & starting is easy.

Temporary fix until I can get a new barrel & key.

Did notice that there's a pickup coil that clips around the barrel. With everything dismantled and access available to the ignition rotary switch itself, I noticed The vehicle will start fine just by turning the rotary switch, as long as I place the key inside the now dangling pickup coil.

If I don't have the key anywhere near the pickup coil, the vehicle will start with a screwdriver in the switch only so long as the pickup coil has 'seen' the actual key within at most the last 20 seconds or so.

So I figure not only will I need a new ignition barrel, but also one with a key with a transponder coded to what the vehicle expects?

The pebble remote that had been left in the glovebox & which I'd hoped was for central locking, still doesn't make the vehicle repond in any way despite new batteries. So I guess I'll new to find out how to source a new remote.

The ignition barrel and key reader/pickup coil look like the ones in this ebay listing: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCUDO-EXPERT ... Sw-EhdvFPb