Please can anyone suggest a Xantia replacement?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Dollywaggon
My Cars: Xantia 2.0l HDI
Saab 93 estate

Please can anyone suggest a Xantia replacement?

Post by Dollywaggon »

Has anyone here found a car that can match the Xantia 2.0l HDI for comfort, performance size and economy?
We have driven diesel Citroens for the last 25 years. 3 BXs and 2 Xantias. Total purchase cost of the lot circa £6500.00 so not shiny new ones. All but the previous Xantia were killed by rust and one of the BXs had done 330000+ miles before it was pensioned off. Hours and hours of happy, cheap and relatively trouble free motoring. Anyway enough of the reminiscing. I think you get the picture.
Sadly we now have to acknowledge that the surviving Xantia (the only car we have, HWMO has a Relay van) has reached the end of its life and finding it's replacement is proving to be a challenge.
We haven't found anything to match it yet and we have a new problem with the choice because since I have retired, we only do around 8000 miles a year so anything with a dreaded DPF has to be ruled out. We don't have many dual carriageways in Norfolk let alone motorways.
So, a diesel car old enough not to have a DPF or, heaven forbid, a petrol car. Must be a hatchback or an estate of a similar size.. Back problems make comfort a priority and our winding country lanes make handling important if driving is still going to be fun. As you can gather, the budget has never been high for car buying but we would stretch it if we could just find something sensible that we really liked.
Any suggestions from those who have solved the same problem would be gratefully received.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Re: Please can anyone suggest a Xantia replacement?

Post by white exec »

Difficult decision. How to avoid all those dreaded 3-letter recent nasties...
ZX probably too small (estate?), or 306 (ditto), maybe too old.
406?

There is a solution to hatch, space, amazing comfort, diesel economy, great handling, and not significantly more complicated than a Xantia . . . . . . . XM ! Norfolk is a particularly well-supported spot for these.
Chris
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

While it is more complicated (due to the electronics) a Mk1 C5 estate could be worth a look. There is not a DPF fitted, the tax (because it is cleaner and comes after the cut-off date) is lower then an equivalent Xantia HDi, and it is pretty comfortable. Yes, if you intend to maintain it yourself you would find a FULL chipset Lexia system to be useful, but it is a nice car (and pretty economical as well).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The Mk3 C5 may be to big for you but its a lovely car, The simplest and most reliable is the 2.0. Hdi VTR manual which has steel springs but the ride is superb, its also very quiet and economical, driving granddad style, as am and do, it can do 70 mpg on the motorway.

Mine are both estates, I paid around 1500 pounds for them but the saloon would be cheaper.

Peter
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Having owned 3BX's, a ZX, 2 Xantias, a Xsara, 2 XMs and 2 previous Mk1 C5s I have now attained the best car I have ever had. It is a Mk 1 C5 2.2HDi Exclusive SE with leather, heated seats, aircon, sunroof, satnav, multi CD, and loads more. I had to replace the aircon compressor and condenser and the roof arial to bring the car to Fully working condition. It is a 2001 with 82000 miles when I bought it off ebay for £550 and the parts cost me £380 in total so for £930 I have a fantastic car which gobbles up motorway miles amd zips round the lanes with the suspension in sport mode. The boot is huge, though the estate of course is even bigger but most estates have a harder life so I went fot the hatchback which even looks a bit like a saloon from the side. By far the best overall Citroen I have owned {and the second Xantia was an Activa} and I intend it to last as long as the law will allow me to drive it!! I am now coming up to 118000 miles and 9 months ownership and I love it!!! Just saying.......:-D
Last edited by mickthemaverick on 26 Jan 2020, 09:34, edited 1 time in total.
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

Pre 2008 Skoda Octavia 1.9 or 2.0 TD will also fulfill your requirements.
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Theres always a Xantia, petrol though, and although it doesnt state it in the details, looks like its an oddity...an automatic.

Didn't sell at the December auction and overpriced despite its 21,806 miles and its "time warp" status. Can't be many buyers out there for that spec of vehicle. I expect it wont sell again at the Feb auction after which it may be open to negotiation.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

My C5 II 2.0 litre HDI VTR automatic estate probably fits the bill but it does have DPF not that I see that as a problem, it's a dream to drive.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

One thing not mentioned here about the C5 MK I and II is parts - now becoming extremely hard to source and especially suspension struts - which are no longer made and not generally available new. Second hand sources are drying up as people realise this. So ALthough I've owned both, it simply is a non-starter to consider purchasing one of these now IMO.

If you want Hydractive suspension, then a MK III C5 Exclusive is a realistic choice, but these do have their share of problems - steering racks are a known failure - consult the member poll here for faults amongst members' vehicles:

viewtopic.php?t=59630

They are a very comfortable car and generally very reliable apart from known issues and the last ever Hydractive Citroen to be made.

Or, hang on for a while and get a second hand C4 Cactus, these are quire rugged, have lots of room and space.

My next will probably be a C5 Aircross in years to come when they've ironed out the bugs, but will be avoiding any DS branded vehicles due to the total unreliability of the electrics and poor ride.

If you want versatility on a budget, consider a Xsara Picasso - there are still loads of these on the roads, they are cheap to purchase have room for a pony, seats can come out very easily of needed, good driving position and parts are still plentiful.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 26 Jan 2020, 09:41 Theres always a Xantia, petrol though, and although it doesnt state it in the details, looks like its an oddity...an automatic.

Didn't sell at the December auction and overpriced despite its 21,806 miles and its "time warp" status. Can't be many buyers out there for that spec of vehicle. I expect it wont sell again at the Feb auction after which it may be open to negotiation.

REgards Neil
That's the stuff of nightmares!! Expensive tax, certainly on the slow side of glacial, and uneconomical as well at any speed over .. idle.

I once had one as a courtesy car while my Activa was having work done. I was glad to get the Activa back as it was considerably cheaper to run!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

If it doesn't have to be Citroen, the Peugeot 406 is a nice comfortable car with a lot of internal space for its size. Parts are still readily available and quite cheap, also no DPF, or at least the 2.0. hdi doesnt.

Very well made and reliable cars, I ran them for about 10 years before I had the C5s. They made them up until 2004. 2.0. engine is virtually bombproof, very good on fuel too.

Peter
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

So 406 parts are still readily available - but Xantia parts aren't (so I keep reading); confused!
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Possibly as there were far more 406s produced that Xantias?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I would think so Steve, 1000s of them were used a taxis. I would probably still be running a 406 now except that when my wife drove the C5 she wanted one. Also the 406 developed a faulty brake servo, replacement requiring removal of the cylinder head or engine to get to the linkage as the servo was on the left, by this point it had done well over 200,000 miles.

I have never had or heard of another one failing so don't let it put you off. Otherwise the car is quite easy to work on.

Peter
andy5
(Donor 2022)

Post by andy5 »

Don't assume you can't find another decent Xantia

I spotted one on eBay on Saturday afternoon - HDI SX, 75,000 miles, just had front and accu spheres rear calipers brake discs and pads all round, reluctant sale, £995

I was wondering whether to send a tentative query, why sell it if it's just had that work done and should last a while, but I might talk myself into being interested, having two might not be daft ...

Too slow. It disappeared by last night, no longer available.

Maybe they decided to keep it, or another fan will keep it going for some time.