Peugot 307 SW - Fix it or scrap it?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

thisismyusername
My Cars: Peugeot 307 SW 2004 2.0L AT

Peugot 307 SW - Fix it or scrap it?

Post by thisismyusername »

Hey Peugeot people. I'm tryna figure out whether it's worth trying to fix my car or whether I should just scrap it. It's a:

Peugeot 307 SW (2004, 2.0L, Automatic)

Here's what's happened:

An engine check light had been on for a few days (which I'll never put off addressing again..)
I was driving normally on the flat and then lost acceleration (car would accelerate, but not move forward/backwards no matter which position the gearstick was in, it's like the transmission won't 'connect').
I then towed it home and let it sit for a few months.
I then mistakenly disconnected the battery incorrectly and charged it. After reconnecting it, whenever I would try turn the car on it would (and still does) go into economy mode.
I then broke the key fob (the blade is undamaged), and ordered a new one which I meant to program. I got a bit mixed up though and followed a tutorial showing how to resync it by accident, not reprogram it...
I was going to try follow some (rather incomplete) advice on a forum, but it requires me put the window down in one of the steps, and now the windows won't go down..
Since then, I borrowed and ran a diagnostics using one of those cheap obd2 with an app on my phone, and got these faults (I actually ran it before taking the battery out too, before I was getting the economy mode and got the same errors but without the p1622 fault).

I'm not sure if it's not starting because of the key, or because it's in economy mode, or if it's because I might have been using a battery who was lacking the volts despite being fully charged, or what. I'm just reading random forums getting confused at this point.
faults.png
I'm not sure where to start/how to eliminate possibilities. I wasn't sure if I should test the fuses first, or maybe download the pp2000 software on my laptop, buy a cable to connect it to my car, and then run a diagnostics and see what it says. Most the cars in my country are Japs, so advice I've gotten from people has been rather limited/they were just guessing.

Any guidance or advice super appreciated.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Peugot 307 SW - Fix it or scrap it?

Post by GiveMeABreak »

All those issues could easily be related to a knackered battery.

If you battery is older than 5 years, then it's probably not holding a full charge / cannot be recharged to full capacity. These cars are very electrically sensitive, so either get your battery tested, and if that is tested as good, then check the battery terminals / alternator.

This is the procedure for the battery disconnect / reconnect (there are nits in here for keyless entry vehicles - just ignore that speciofic part as is states):

BSI Reset / Battery Disconnect / Reconnect Procedure

If the battery has also been disconnected and reconnected improperly, then it can also lead to electrical issues including the immobiliser.

You should not need to pair the fob - just resynchronise as you have stated, but this won't do any good if the battery is shot.

If you have an issue with economy mode kicking in straight after a charge, then the battery is probably shot and there is not enough sustainable power to operate all the ECUs. As far as the procedure is concerned - get a good battery on and follow the procedure - but as far as the windows go, ignore that part, but instead manually flick the driver's door catch to fool the car into thinking the door is closed. If you don't it will prevent the data network from shutting down, which is what you want to do.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Did you transfer the transponder chip to the new fob? (this may not have been possible as some fobs don't have a separate transponder chip)
Economy mode won't prevent the engine starting, nor (in my experience) will incorrect battery connection procedure prevent the engine from starting.
There will be an immobiliser light on the dashboard, is that going off after the ignition is switched on?

Can you post your VIN so that we can look up which engine/transmission combination you have?
thisismyusername

The battery I was using to try get the car going last was supposedly a good battery but I had no way of verifying that at the time. I'm assuming I should be able to use a multimeter to make sure it's got enough volts this time around when I try it. Thanks for that tutorial GiveMeABreak, I'll try going over those steps. And thanks for the part about the door, I never knew you could do that.

@xantia_v6 I never transferred the chip no. I'll check whether the light comes on next time I start it. I'll also get the VIN too. Thanks for the help.

I'm getting that P1622 fault and "Immobiliser ID Does Not Match" message because the key isn't sending a security code because it hasn't been programmed, is that right? (I'm just getting my head around all this, I've been rather confused about it)

I was under the impression that programing the key fob was something I could do (the tutorials look simple enough at least) without going to a locksmith, am I right in thinking that?

I'll post back soon as I can.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

If you have a key that has not been coded to the car, then there are two methods.
1. You can transfer the tranponder chip from your old key
2.. You can use the Diagbox configuration tool to program the key (but you need the confidential programing PIN code for the car)
3. A locksmith with the right tool can clone the transponder from another key that is programmed to the car (but you have to have a key with working transponder). That will cost you about NZ$100

Your best course of action depends on whether your original key has a removable transponder chip.
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 109k one of two remaining
'03 206 GTi180 - 97k in pieces being brought back up to snuff
'03 206 1.9TD - home-built veg-fuelled B-road bruiser
'99 306 SE 2.0i cabriolet - 92k awaiting service work ready for next summer
'97 306 XS 1.6i 3 door, Bianca White, from dead 12 years & seized solid to road legal in 7 days

Post by ekjdm14 »

Agh i do hope you still have the original broken fob, really feel this is going to be (the immobiliser part at least) down to the correct transponder chip not being in the new fob. They're not the same as the circuit board, that's a "plip" for the locking/alarm, if it had a transponder then it'll probably be a small black chip that's clipped into the plastic case of the fob.

Was quite a common thing for people to replace 206 key fobs because of broken buttons & accidentally throw away the transponder with the old one. Fingers crossed you can sort that part, the rest is/was likely down to an ailing battery with any luck.
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 109k
'03 206 GTi180 94k in surgery
'03 206 1.1S XUD9TE/veg project :mrgreen:
'99 306 2.0SE cabriolet 95k summer toy
'97 306 XS 1.6i 99k sat 12 years, fixed in 7 days, 150mile maiden voyage :rofl2:
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

Note that some original fobs don't have a removable transponder chip (e.g. the ones for my 308), the transponder function on these fobs is on the pcb, you can see the antenna coil.
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 109k one of two remaining
'03 206 GTi180 - 97k in pieces being brought back up to snuff
'03 206 1.9TD - home-built veg-fuelled B-road bruiser
'99 306 SE 2.0i cabriolet - 92k awaiting service work ready for next summer
'97 306 XS 1.6i 3 door, Bianca White, from dead 12 years & seized solid to road legal in 7 days

Post by ekjdm14 »

xantia_v6 wrote: 15 Jan 2020, 09:54 Note that some original fobs don't have a removable transponder chip (e.g. the ones for my 308), the transponder function on these fobs is on the pcb, you can see the antenna coil.
Ah, yes do note that! Apologies if my post was misleading, my experience isn't so focussed on the newer models.

I wonder, was this change an attempt to negate the possibility of the chip getting mistakenly thrown out? And if the PCB gets broken on the newer type, does that render the chip dead?
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 109k
'03 206 GTi180 94k in surgery
'03 206 1.1S XUD9TE/veg project :mrgreen:
'99 306 2.0SE cabriolet 95k summer toy
'97 306 XS 1.6i 99k sat 12 years, fixed in 7 days, 150mile maiden voyage :rofl2:
thisismyusername

I've lost the transponder/body part of my key fob unfortunately, so only have the blade. It wasn't a removal one anyway as far as I can remember.

It sounds like I'll need to get the replacement key I ordered programed, which means I'll need the pin to get into the ecu (from what I've read) which is what I'm trying to figure out how to get now. I was going to order an lexia3 cable and download the pp2000 software and try program it that way/get a better diagnostics to go off. Does that sound like the right approach?.. I would consider just paying to have a new key programmed if not for the usefulness of being able to use the pp2000 software.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You will need the confidential customer code to programme any new fob, and will also need to programme all existing fobs you intend to use with the vehicle again in the same session. Not doing so will lock out any fob not included.

If you don't have your confidential code (usually contained on a credit card sized key card), then you can obtain it from Peugeot, for a fee of about £20-25, along with proof of vehicle ownership, identification and something with your address on.

If you get the dealer to do it for you they will charge you diagnostic time a la £90 an hour ish over in the UK, or equivalent in NZ dollars. There are at least 3 Peugeot dealers in Auckland.

Or get a Lexia kit and laptop yourself or try and locate a member in NZ that may have one who will be willing to do this for you.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

Last year we thought that we had lost both keys for our 308, and the dealer wanted an exorbitant price to supply and code replacements. Fortunately we found both keys before we got that desperate.

I recently had a (not remote fob) spare key cut at a local locksmith ant it was NZ$40 to supply and cut the key blank and an extra NZ$140 to supply and clone a transponder chip. They did not have the equipment to program a key using a Lexia.

As you are in NZ, it is significantly cheaper to buy a Lexia VCI direct from china than from the UK. I can find the details of the vendor I used if you want them.
thisismyusername

I'm gonna go to a Peugeot dealership and pay for the pin code. I'm going to order this lexia3 cable (does this looks right? -> https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1000001 ... 6aabG2uDDN ) so I can program the keyfob myself and do a diagnostics too, because there's still the main issue being the transmission fault.

Here's my VIN btw: VF3**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Cheers guys
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

That appears to be the same vendor I bought mine from, which works fine on my 308.