Mick's Motoring September Stroll

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Mick's Motoring March Meander

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Drat! If it is in the evening (and I have a peaceful day at work) I would definitely make the effort to be there.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

OK great !, I anticipate the early evening 6-7. The thursday is a bit hectic with a 7am depart from Shrewsbury and visits to Bloodhound and Didcot to fit in, though I'll be happy to miss Didcot to make the evening meet if necessary. The more the merrier!! :)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I hope to be there then!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Tonights plan changes the route to look like this:

Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 15 Dec 2019, 19:05 Henley on Thames might be nice, if somewhat expensive!
Henley isn't any more expensive than anywhere else if you stick to the standard kind of places:)

It's only 6 miles from me too.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Excellent then Henley it is. Just let me know the name of a pub that serves real ale, Breakspears in that area I guess, and that will be the place!!
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

I have now finished preparing the itinery to go with the route map I posted earlier. The plan includes 2 FCF meets at the moment but I'd love to include more if there are any more takers. It also occurred to me that it might be fun if anyone would like to join in for parts of the route as an FCF convoy!!

This is what it looks like at the moment: (Click on it to read clearly)
Own work
Own work
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

mickthemaverick wrote: 20 Jan 2020, 17:43 meander...etc
Mick are you just doing a drivepast at the Cathedrals, rolling the window down and poking the camera out! :-D

Lincoln is tremendous, but I'm afraid we....or should I say I baulked at paying an entrance fee! Too used to just wandering in and around at Durham!

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

Just a cautionary note from one who's done a lot of long road trips, many of them over the course of a period of days....

if this were my itinerary, I'd probably find it impossible and/or far from relaxing rushing from place to place with no time to stop.

You're obviously not me Mick, and it might work for you; but might I suggest you keep an open mind to significantly reducing your mileage and having contact information to cancel planned stops if you find that even your 'Should / Will Happens' are optimistic.
Puxa
NewcastleFalcon

If you drive as intended on tha A591 from Keswick down to Windermere, you will pass the AA box at Dunmail Raise on your left

https://www.google.com/maps/@54.4906638 ... 312!8i6656

This was first claimed by Richard W!
RichardW wrote: 25 Jun 2018, 12:45 Picked up my new car at the weekend from Kendal, south of the Lakes, which allowed a diversion via Dunmail Raise (under the pretext of climbing Helvellyn!), so only 4 left now!

Box in good condition and well kept.

Dark Grey 3008 is my new one. Photo bomb of Ioniq just collateral damage - it was a Hybrid, so doesn't qualify for the electric cars thread!
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 20 Jan 2020, 18:49
Mick are you just doing a drivepast at the Cathedrals, rolling the window down and poking the camera out! :-D

REgards Neil
In a word "Yes". Unlike most people I am not a tourist who likes to visit lots of places. I am a well and truly retired rally driver who does the trips for the driving, not the views. I take the pictures of known landmarks as evidence of my passing whereas I do stop and look at anything transport orientated, hence Mathewsons and Didcot. The bridges, ferries and tunnels are all about completing my "I've been everywhere" diary of driving experiences. That is why I set such a tight schedule to get the most out of the driving rather than the sightseeing! I have a flying trip to Mallorca on 8th Feb for final preparations for my mate's move to the mainland, followed by driving a van down to Mallorca on 22nd to move him to the Murcia area on the mainland and then bring a lot of his stuff back to the UK for sale!! I get back from that trip on 5th March and then final preps for the meander will take place. Its all about the driving!!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

You certainly won't see much of Whitby in fifteen minutes. It is very car-unfriendly and parking is a nightmare. Always has been and significantly worse in recent years, one of the main reasons I stay away, and I can park on my brother's drive. But from there it is a twenty minute walk into town.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur wrote: 20 Jan 2020, 18:58 Just a cautionary note from one who's done a lot of long road trips, many of them over the course of a period of days....

if this were my itinerary, I'd probably find it impossible and/or far from relaxing rushing from place to place with no time to stop.

You're obviously not me Mick, and it might work for you; but might I suggest you keep an open mind to significantly reducing your mileage and having contact information to cancel planned stops if you find that even your 'Should / Will Happens' are optimistic.
I hear what you are saying Puxa and appreciate your concern but the trip is all about the driving, not the sightseeing, however it is totally open to change should the reasons come up, but for me it really is about maximising the time behind the wheel to get the most enjoyment from it. My theory is that the times are AA route guide based so if I can legally reduce the travel times with enthusiastic driving I'll gain the extra time for the stops. That is the challenge!! However I'll always sacrifice both driving and viewing for the chance to meet fellow FCFers. :-D
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

myglaren wrote: 20 Jan 2020, 19:54 You certainly won't see much of Whitby in fifteen minutes. It is very car-unfriendly and parking is a nightmare. Always has been and significantly worse in recent years, one of the main reasons I stay away, and I can park on my brother's drive. But from there it is a twenty minute walk into town.
I remember how tight Whitby was last time I was there, so I am hoping to be able to make up enough time during the day to give me 30-45mins to get the pictures I want. I may put a folding bike in the boot to help me!! :-D
NewcastleFalcon

Now there is another AA box which you may be able to photograph. :-D

Its one of those which are not in their original location, but in a private garden.

Box Number 446 Would have the Location Board Handley and a telephone number of Tattenhall 271, and was originally situated on the Whitchurch - Chester A.41 / 7 miles south of Chester.

Its now at Sleaford, just over the railway crossing near the castle, and less than half a mile off the A15 up to Lincoln. Sleaford has a "Handley Monument". The box has a location board with "Handley" on it (i.e. Handley in Cheshire). Must be part of the story of why it has ended up where it is.

Here's the google street view......you can just see the box through the foiliage of the tree.

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.9967809 ... 2!1b1!2i50

Your current route doesn't go through Sleaford but Boston-Sleaford-Lincoln via the A15 is possible.
screenshot
screenshot
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey