C5 problems - Here we go again

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mikal
My Cars: 2008 C5 auto diesel saloon, Civic runabout and my Yamaha FJR.
No sports car anymore, TVR...gone, MGB...gone, Boxster...gone. Might get something in a yr or two!

Re: C5 problems - Here we go again

Post by mikal »

Thinking it might be a dpf related problem. I turned it on, wedged a brick and kept the revs at 3000 rpm. It spluttered and cut out after 2 mins. Waited 5, same again...waited 5...same again, except this time two extra lights came on just under the water temp...not seen those b4. Started up again and it revved quite happily at 3000 rpm for 1/2 hr, sat inside, up to 4500 rpm for 5 mins, back to 3000 rpm for 1/2 hr, back up to 4500 rpm for 5 mins, back to 3000 rpm for 1/2 hr, to idle for 5 mins and then went out for a drive. Stuck in 1st gear. All the lights on SERVICE, engine man esp etc. Wouldnt change in auto or manual. Home, switched it off. 2 hrs later, started it up. All warning lights off except engine man, the tiddly engine looking job. Changed gear really nicely, it even had a bit of zip to it.. WTF.
So next week up for a diagnosis and local garage.

Any ideas!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I don't think you are doing it any favours keeping it revved up like that when static. If you have an issue with anything related to the air or fuel system then a downgrade mode will likely be applied which will limit the power and / or deactivate other systems on the vehicle until the conditions that caused the fault revert back to normal.

You would of saved a lot of strain on the engine and systems if you just got it diagnosed and the fault codes read at the start. When you do get any codes, post them up here and we might be able to help further.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
mikal
No sports car anymore, TVR...gone, MGB...gone, Boxster...gone. Might get something in a yr or two!

Post by mikal »

Will do Marc. garage closed til next week. Was told by a mate that thats what garages to for a forced regen.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Not entirely true and I'm not surprised to be honest.

The diagnostic tool is used to perform a forced regeneration. This takes a some toll on the engine components and is not really recommended except when absolutely essential as the vehicle is not getting any air cooling and the surrounding components are subject to extreme temperatures as a result. But the diagnostic tool will also adjust the air and fuel systems as part of the procedure - so it's not just a matter of keeping your foot down.

It's essential to remove the under engine protection and ensure there is nothing plastic or flammable near the underside or surrounding the car. You need to have at least 20 litres of fuel in the tank, check the oil level and also the turbo hose coupling (as this can be blown off) - but you get the idea....

Let us know what you get code-wise and we'll see what they say. :-D

Marc
mikal

Post by mikal »

"It's essential to remove the under engine protection and ensure there is nothing plastic or flammable near the underside or surrounding the car. You need to have at least 20 litres of fuel in the tank, check the oil level and also the turbo hose coupling (as this can be blown off)"

Did all that Marc.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

:-D Good - let's see what the fault codes say.

Marc
mikal

Post by mikal »

OK Marc .....and were off. Started it up, nothing nada, no warning lights bings or bongs, no engine ML. Drove perfect.....bloody frog machines. At the garage explained past probs re the ABS and the pollution lights/limp mode. After diag, just a few problems re communication and ...the ABS ecu. Thats the same prob as b4, when after I brake too hard it throws a hissy fit and the cruise goes as well as the esp/abs and probably a couple of other minor probs.

So what to do. We bought the car to pull a 1500kg caravan around the EU and a few long trips 3/4 times a year in 2012. Caravans gone and long trips now once a year. I now drive less than 2k a year, all local trips delivering wood as part of a community project. Then maybe an occasional 20/30 mile trip once a month.( We have a 2003 petrol civic thats a rat car.) The cars got a couple of dings and dents, (Cornish hedges will always win). If it was perfectish, I'd get what 2k/2.5k maybe. 81,000 miles now. Tyres are 50%, interior fine. Do I fix the ecu....how much...and then drive it into the ground OR try and trade it in for a petrol Sportage/CRV/CX5/RAV4 as my car for the next 5-7 years. Price around 10k, (I have the cash). My back is a bit wonky and getting in/out of the C5 is OK ish, now. We are also thinking of buying a campervan for around 10k. (Which we will use for maybe a year or two b4 selling on) First world probs I know but I'm known as the family ditherer. Say as you please.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Personally I'd give it a good long run in daylight, a couple of hundred miles non-stop.
If you have the means to do it, give the battery a 24-48 hour charge before setting off, observing the battery disconnect procedure.
Chicken soup for cars.
mikal

Post by mikal »

myglaren wrote: 07 Jan 2020, 14:35 Personally I'd give it a good long run in daylight, a couple of hundred miles non-stop.
If you have the means to do it, give the battery a 24-48 hour charge before setting off, observing the battery disconnect procedure.
Chicken soup for cars.
Errrrrm OK?
mikal

Post by mikal »

Any thoughts Marc??
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I'm not sure if there was a specific question there! :-D

I was waiting for you to get the actual fault codes after the session at the garage for me so I could look at these - 'ABS ECU' and 'Communication' don't help me - I need he fault codes to help you.

As to the trading in issue - I can't really suggest anything until we know what the fault is - it may be nothing to do with the an ECU at all. That's garage cop out talk when they can't be bothered / or don't know how to fault find. I appreciate a lot of items are 'plug and play and throw away' today, but the ECUs are generally very reliable components. It's the connections to and from them (wiring) or connected sensors that tend to be the issue.

Personally speaking, if you like the car and really haven't got a definitive answer on what the fault(s) are yet, you can't really make that sort of a decision. An ABS wheel sensor for example will deactivate the ABS and all ESP functions (including cruise control), hill start assist etc., for safety reasons - so all those warnings are related and can be down to a faulty ABS wheel sensor or the wiring harness connecting it (I have heard this happen recently where the ABS wiring was gashed by an over-zealous mechanic). This can happen if it has been damaged when the brakes or discs have been changed by not taking proper caution or some grease monkey taking a hammer to the disk / caliper for example.... but you get the drift, we need the specific fault codes really to assist.

Marc
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Not 100% sure what to say.
12 years old not perfect maybe worth £1k ish tops without faults, trade in maybe £500.
Apologies to our female members and visitors but having been married for 25 years ( this year ) a Citroen with an intermittent fault is like a marriage, sometimes the fault is there, sometimes not, but rest assured unless it is diagnosed ( discussed ) it will reappear when you think it has sorted itself out all by itself :)
You can maybe get a full and legit diagnostic session done for £100 ish at main dealers, maybe a little less at an indie but it needs to be a full and proper diagnostic report and you need a printed report of both before and after faults have been read,cleared and a test run and a second diagnostic report.
mikal

Post by mikal »

cheers all