P1457 fault code

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Rock of sense
My Cars: C5 mk1
C5 facelift
C4 grand picasso
C5 mk1 estate
Ax

P1457 fault code

Post by Rock of sense »

Hi all , just a bit of info for those who may be experiencing p1457 fault code with 1.6 hdi models , this code refers to 'evap' system , I spent lots of time trying to find all sorts of parts that refer to this code on my c4 , this 'evap' system does not exist on 1.6 hdi models. The p1457 code is 'pressure differential sensor ' which is located just above the alternator, two small pipes sticking out of it with push in electrical connector . Part is about €30 , fitting is simple DIY job just plug and play . No need to reset with lexia .
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: P1457 fault code

Post by GiveMeABreak »

What you have posted is not entirely correct - in the sense that you have the wrong code description for this fault as it applies to 1.6 HDi engines and also 2.0 HDi engines. Fault codes can have slightly different meanings for different engine management systems.

For PSA vehicles, code P1457 for the Bosch EDC16C34 engine ECU for example is related to a 'Holed or missing Particulate Filter'. There is no mention of an evaporation system in the official interpretation of this code. It is the same for other 1.6 HDi engines and indeed 2.0 HDi engines using the Delphi Engine ECU.

You have probably used a generic third party code reader that cannot provide correct interpretation of the fault codes. A Lexia or Diagbox system would have provided the correct fault description.

You will find that most THP petrol engines have a Canister Depollution Absorber (ESS Vapour Absorber) - item (1) below, but these are not used on PSA diesels - so code P1457 is relevant to HDi vehicles, but has nothing to do with the fuel vapour purge system as they don't have them. If you get this fault on a Diesel, you need to be looking closely at your particulate filter integrity and do not ignore the fault!
Vapour.PNG
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Rock of sense
My Cars: C5 mk1
C5 facelift
C4 grand picasso
C5 mk1 estate
Ax

Post by Rock of sense »

Many thanks for your detailed description . I originally used a hand held code reader to diagnose the 'evap ' issue ( I had never come across evap on my previous citroen cars ) since then I got lexia in an effort to pinpoint emission fault , it was long overdue in my arsenal of tools . I couldn't find information on whether the car had a charcoal canister and despite removing panels from the car I eventually cottoned on that this applied to petrol picassos . I was hoping to save readers the grief of searching for canister and purge valve etc . The fix was a relief as I had spent so much time on this issue ,
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow