Peugeot 5008 2.0 EGR valve causing issues

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wattsey4u2day
My Cars: Peugeot 5008 2.0Hdi 2010

Peugeot 5008 2.0 EGR valve causing issues

Post by wattsey4u2day »

Last year, my Peugeot 5008 had a new turbo and EGR valve (along with alot of other things totalling £3000!) its currently on 236,000 miles and going strong, but for about 6 months, the EGR valve has been causing problems with juddering. When you accelerate moderately or hard, there is a jerk or what feels like a misfire at about 2k rpm. You can hear the air trying to pass through the EGR before hand and sounds like a split turbo pipe. I unplugged the EGR valve and took the car for a drive and there was no problem and acceleration had greatly improved! For a brand new EGR valve that has effectively done 12,000 miles, surely it cant have gone wrong? The one they replaced it with only had one electrical connector on it so they had to do a software update to get it to work properly. I have changed the MAF, MAP and exhaust pressure sensor aswell but no change. The only thing I cant do is reset adaptations as i dont have the software to do it. Any suggeations as to why the EGR may be playing up?
wattsey4u2day

Re: Peugeot 5008 2.0 EGR valve causing issues

Post by wattsey4u2day »

Sorry I forgot to mention, my engine is the DW10CTED4
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Hi and welcome :welc: . Post your VIN up which will only be readable by the Admin staff and someone will be here to help you pretty soon. Meanwhile have a look around the forum from the Board Index above and join in whatever threads grab your interest. :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
wattsey4u2day

Post by wattsey4u2day »

Hi yes sorry, my VIN is VF3**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok so you have the DW10CTED4 engine and I am very surprised / concerned to hear what you said about modifying the software as the replacement EGR did not have the correct number of connections!

I would be very concerned about that to be honest as the 2 plugs are there for a reason with this engine:
DW10CTED4 EGR A.PNG
(1) Electrically-controlled exhaust gas recycling valve (With integral position copy sensor).
(2) Exhaust gas recirculation heat exchanger .
"a" 3-way blue connector (Position copy sensor for the EGR heat exchanger by-pass flap).
"b" 5-way blue connector (Electrically-controlled exhaust gas recycling valve ).
"c" Control capsule (By-pass flap with integral position copy sensor).
"d" Exhaust gas outlet.
"e" Water entry.
The 5 pin connector "a" is for the engine system fuelling + or -, the sensor signal, earth and sensor supply.
The 3 pin connector "b" is the bypass connector / EGR Heat exchanger, Supply, earth & signal. So I cannot see how they can simply not connect this up - or it will not operate correctly under certain conditions.

Please don't tell me this was a Peugeot dealer that replaced it? Every single one of these I have seen has the 2 connectors present!

Part number 1618NQ

Here's a Valeo one as you can see:
valeo EGR.PNG
A diagnostic session to obtain any fault codes would be useful - but to be honest, I can't accept that excuse for fitting the wrong one in the first place and would reject it.

I would therefore be a bit hesitant to spend time fault finding when you know the wrong one is fitted. These come as a complete module with the heat exchanger built on (item "2" in the diagram) and are assembled and mated at factory as disassembling the EGR module alone will cause problems.

When the EGR is replaced, there is a replacement parts option in Diagbox to inform the engine ECU the EGR has been replaced. This should trigger any initialisation procedure.

If it was me, (fair enough I have the ability to check and identify the correct parts), I would of point blank refused an incorrect one. If it's a dealer, I would demand the correct one is fitted and that they pay for the remedial work or complain to head office.

I simply cannot see how you can fit this and have either the EGR valve not working ("A") or the Heat Exchanger / bypass not working ("B") as those are the only 2 electrical connectors.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
wattsey4u2day

Post by wattsey4u2day »

Hi Marc. Thank you so much for your reply. Its connector A that isnt on my EGR valve. I hve only owned the car since its had all the major work done on it as it was an ex company car. I think in a cost cutting excercise, an aftermarket valeo egr was fitted which didn't have the heat exchanger sensor on it. I dont know how a software update would have stopped the EML coming on. Ive come to accept that I will need to have it replaced at some point. When the EGR was replaced, it was done at a repair garage, not a main dealer
Last edited by wattsey4u2day on 29 Dec 2019, 09:00, edited 1 time in total.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Well I'm pleased about that - as it would be quite worrying if this was from a dealer. The Mickey Mouse outfit obviously didn't get the correct part and couldn't be bothered to return it no doubt.

It is an integral part of the function of the EGR system to cool the temperature of the gases as needed, determined by the engine ECU:
  • Cooling of the exhaust gases enables the emissions of nitrous oxide (NOx) to be further reduced.
  • The exhaust gases are able to be cooled, in order to prevent the total mix of air from reaching too high a temperature (Mixture of inlet air and recycled exhaust gas).
  • In certain operating phases, the exhaust gases do not have to be cooled before being admitted into the combustion chamber (Notably during cold starts, to allow the engine to warm up more rapidly).
  • The engine ECU, by means of a pneumatic electrovalve, operates a by-pass by which the exhaust gases go directly to the air inlet without passing through the EGR exchanger.
My concern now is what exactly these monkeys have done software wise... If they have illegally mapped it out, then your emissions will increase and that could be bad for the MOT at some point.

Marc
wattsey4u2day

Post by wattsey4u2day »

Ive had a look at some replacement valeo EGR valves and alot of them dont have the blue connector on them. You make a good point at how the engine knows where the egr cooler position is. I think maybe i should get it replaced with a genuine egr valve from peugeot with the connector A. Its a shame they dont do the sensor part separately so i can add it on. I dont think Peugeot would have released a technical bulletin or update to map connector A out of the equation. Il have to see what the garage did
wattsey4u2day

Post by wattsey4u2day »

I managed to pick up a knackered EGR valve for next to nothing today. The EGR i wasn't interested in, but the vacuum pot with the built in sensor was which was perfectly fine.

I swapped the non sensored pot on the cars EGR valve with the sensored vacuum pot and plugged it all in (was very easy to remove and replace with just two screws). No engine light so thats good. Its still jerking and sounding hissy but I expect no instant miracles. Should I go into Lexia and go to replacement parts to start a new EGR initialisation?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Well it can't do any harm at this point! :) Give it a go - but you may have to wait for a while for the engine ECU to make adjustments - so probably go for a drive and see how you get on.

Marc
wattsey4u2day

Post by wattsey4u2day »

Thats what I thought, it may take a while for the ECU to see some new values with the sensor. To be fair, i drove the car home from work, fitted the sensor and 15 mins later took it for a short drive. It hasn't had a cold start yet with the sensor. Il report back next week and fingers crossed, its good news!
wattsey4u2day

Post by wattsey4u2day »

Finally got my Diagbox working. I had to buy an old laptop that had XP on it! I went into Diagbox, went to repair, replacement parts and told it that the egr valve and egr exchanger had been replaced. I then had to turn the ignition off and then back on and it said it was learned. Although it feels a bit more pokey, i still get the jerk at about 2k rpm from time to time. Arghhg
wattsey4u2day

Post by wattsey4u2day »

So its been a week but sadly the EGR valve is still causing a jerk/misfire even after an EGR reset. It then occurred to me that when I had some injector work done on the car recently, they mentioned that there is signs of sooting from the exhaust near the DPF and flexi pipe but cant diagnose it without taking things apart. If the fans are set to external air then you get an exhaust smell coming through the cabin (hence why I keep air re circulation on instead!). There are two pipes that come off the DPF filter to the sensor attached on the brake booster. If one of these is split or leaking, could this cause issues with the EGR valve? I have already replaced the sensor itself about 6 months ago