Have I just been unlucky... or are French Cars a bit Cr*p?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

vonsworld
My Cars: Citroen Nemo Multispace

Have I just been unlucky... or are French Cars a bit Cr*p?

Post by vonsworld »

Hello

I have owned a Citroen Nemo for about 6 years and I like the car when it's working, I also think the engine is very sweet and economical.

However even though I drive only 7000 miles a year with local trips only, during my ownership there have been a number of problems.

For example replacement of both coil springs, bearings, both CV joints, ball joints, tailgate lock, Fuel cap remote and the tracking keeps falling out of alignment.

Previously I owned a Mazda and had to a lot of long distance driving for work. Over 10 years I did 200,000 miles in that car and nothing went wrong with it!... apart from the obvious replacements like tyres, exhaust and battery. No suspension problems of any kind.

Have I just been unlucky, or are French cars (or just the Citroen Nemo) just a bit Cr*ppy? :wink: :)
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: Have I just been unlucky... or are French Cars a bit Cr*p?

Post by Stickyfinger »

Nope, you are correct but for one thing/one word... It is European cars that are all ***t, not just the French ones. :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Only comparable experience I have to your Citroen nemo is driving a little Peugeot Bipper van..

It had an awful bouncy ride, not pleasant :)

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

vonsworld wrote: 04 Dec 2019, 16:19 Hello

I have owned a Citroen Nemo for about 6 years and I like the car when it's working, I also think the engine is very sweet and economical.

However even though I drive only 7000 miles a year with local trips only, during my ownership there have been a number of problems.

For example replacement of both coil springs, bearings, both CV joints, ball joints, tailgate lock, Fuel cap remote and the tracking keeps falling out of alignment.

Previously I owned a Mazda and had to a lot of long distance driving for work. Over 10 years I did 200,000 miles in that car and nothing went wrong with it!... apart from the obvious replacements like tyres, exhaust and battery. No suspension problems of any kind.

Have I just been unlucky, or are French cars (or just the Citroen Nemo) just a bit Cr*ppy? :wink: :)
It's not really a Citroen!

These are rebadged Fiats (Fiorino), made in by Tofaş in Bursa, Turkey and also called the Peugeot Bipper, as well as the Citroen Nemo :-D

There's nothing French about them to be honest - all they will have is a few cosmetic changes to headlights and styling strips to make them look a bit different.

Look familiar?
nemo.PNG
bipper.PNG
Fiorino.PNG
Citroen NemoPeugeot BipperFiat Fiorino
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

While Japanese vehicles have an enviable reputation for reliability I think you've been very unlucky. All my French cars have been exceptionally good to me even though, at present they are all off the road: the 2CV needs a chassis (it broke its back in the Czech republic, but after being patched up I drove it back on the £50 engine I'd put in it the day before I went which was really only good for the trip); the C15 was as cheap as chips (from some backstreet we by any car type outfit) & after sorting out the brakes (well, adjusting the rears), the front end (both TCA's + track rod ends, while I was at it) & a precautionary cam belt, etc - at some silly mileage (after its 1st visit to Berlin) until now the only real problem was the clutch failing. Mega mileage (7,000 in last 3 or 4 months) on oil, filter & pad changes. The Xantia was even cheaper &, after a maiden voyage to Maastricht, has faithfully served as a family hack having only had one filter change + a 2nd oil change. When I removed n/s f wheel for some pre-MoT work (i.e. last year's advisories) I found a problem with the bottom swivel which, so far, has defeated me. Big disappointment that because we'd already decided that if it got through the MoT, we'd treat it to some tyres, have the n/s r wheel-arch patched up & keep it another year.

2 other big differences between our experiences: age of the vehicles & their use.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o