Bargain Basement Motoring

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Re: Bargain Basement Motoring

Post by Timmo »

The 240 was the 'Small' estate though wasnt it? The 740 being the grandaddy? Not so clued up on the volvos,
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I don't actually think that the 780 was any bigger (or was it 760), I may be wrong but that's what I remember. The CX was huge with something like. seven feet of length with the seats down.

Peter
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Micra's got a starter motor! Cost £9 less than the whole car!

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 03 Oct 2019, 21:20 Micra's got a starter motor! Cost £9 less than the whole car!

REgards Neil
Sounds a bargain, it probably has almost as much power :rofl2:
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

Just passed the 10,000 miles since I paid £100 for it back in February cant complain!

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

The return of the £100 Micra......

Got it back again as it has now served its purpose out on loan, so took it out for some fresh air in the countryside. Still a bit of the white stuff on The Cheviot.
MIcra enjoying the view from Corby Crags
MIcra enjoying the view from Corby Crags
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Well I think my £100 Micra has already been more than well worth it....over 10,000 miles on it and not much more than oil changes and a starter motor and an ignition switch.

I stumbled across PetrolBlog in connection with his musings on the Matra Murena/Bagheera. I like his stuff.

Amongst his fleet is a £100 Renault Laguna, and in a strange coincidence it has a few painty hand prints on it, which my Micra also has as an inherited patina from its previous ownership :-D

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

One of my mates who worked countrywide installing supermarket pos checkouts had one of those, he did over a hundred thousand trouble free miles in it in under two years.

He's had more trouble with his two recent Mercedes and a Jag X type that were constantly at the dealers at huge expense.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Doesn't noticably affect the running of the Bargain Basement Micra, but I got a new 02 sensor for about £18 delivered from ECP so I thought I might as well replace the old one. I knew it was "loose" but it was more loose than I thought.....completely detached and the hex bit left behind on the downpipe.
bank 1 sensor 2
bank 1 sensor 2
Exhausts I have come to the conclusion are not worth bothering about home-mechanicing wise. An absolute piece of cake relatively speaking up on a lift at the garage, but working "in the street" whether on ramps or jacking it up as high as possible and putting it on stands there is "never" enough room for it to be anything other than a PITA job.

That hasn't stopped me over the years saving the odd £50 or so doing them myself, and spending uncomfortable hours, grinding off rusty nuts whose hexagons have turned into circles, and fiddling about usually at arms length flat on your back to dismantle and reattach the pipes and unions.

So I have with the Micra a job of replacing the downstream O2 sensor. Only the most optimistic of optimists imagines that the hex bit of the O2 sensor is going to be removable "in situ". No the front downpipe...and its an overly long bit of convoluted tubing....needs to be removed. Joint number 1 after the cat is right at the front of the car. Joint number 2 is behind the engine up and over the subframe and right in the middle of the car. On a lift childs play, on ramps right at the bit where your head is beginning to be very very close to the bottom of the car more difficult. From the side....right at the extremity of an arm length.

Still almost do-able, and shopping around a downpipe is maybe only £30. Let's see what state the mounting nuts/studs/bolts are.....start at the easy ones the front. Looks like the hex is about a 15. Yes it is but only before the flakes of rust disintigrate. Try a 14....not much better. Looks like a hammering on of a 13mm or half inch hex would be the start of the dismantling nightmare, followed no doubt by grinding/hacksawing/swearing.

No just accept that a garage will charge you more for the downpipe and make a bit of profit on the part. They will also put down at least an hours labour....(quite reasonable compared to my own unspecified hours of rusty nut/bolt/stud wrestling and discomfort) but I will end up paying considerably more than £30 to get the job done, anticipating £80-£100.

I'll muse over that one but I have already decided if I do get the downpipe replaced its worth the extra at the garage. The car is just a back up, and a receptacle to be used for trips to the tip, and collecting DIY stuff so not a critical job to get done.

Currently the downstream O2 sensor is completely disconnected at the plug from the loom, and the car starts idles and runs OK.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

They exhaust got solved a few weeks ago now, and new sensor fitted and working fine. The temporary rear silencer replacement, a section of straight pipe gives the micra quite a sporty note :-D

I'm finding the Micra quite useful for lugging the bike in the back and taking it into the wilds.
Shiny Silver Micra<br />(living up to its name!)
Shiny Silver Micra
(living up to its name!)
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Neil's MicraMicra_1.jpg
Found it, Neil, but it's smaller than I expected... :?
Chris
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

My most interesting exhaust job was when I was working back in Birmingham.

We had a customer arrive in a Mercedes, a 300 I think, he was an army RSM and somehow had acquired King Hussain of Jordan's Merc. it needed a new exhaust right through.

He arranged the parts from Merc direct, it came in five pieces which all had to be welded together, no slip joints and clamps just butt welds and aligning it all to the undercarriage. :shock: Not a one man job.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

This Thread reminds me of a couple of Youtube vids I watched recently: the VW Golf and Toyota Corolla concerned are not very French, but definitely represent Bargain Basement Motoring

Unfortunately, you don't get to see him drive the cars, but the vids are entertaining anyway.
Puxa
NewcastleFalcon

BB Micra on a tip trip
BB Micra on a tip trip
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 15 Jun 2020, 19:08 BB Micra on a tip trip
One way?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​