Self Drive Cars

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: Self Drive Cars

Post by Gibbo2286 »

We were never fortunate enough to get into Cairo, Ismailia and El Kirsch were our on road localities along the Suez Canal road, most of the time we were in the desert.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

Just remembered, in a lovely, tree line square in a colonial residential area I found - an abandoned CX! Looking a little sorry for itself under a blanket of leaves but completely unmolested. Made quite an impression at the time - & I wasn't even into Citroëns then.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Just when you think Nissan have lost the plot out comes the Leaf and does the UK s longest autonomous drive from Cranfield to Sunderland

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/uks-first-aut ... fkOdXRKTnO

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 19:14 Just when you think Nissan have lost the plot out comes the leaf and does the UK s longest autonomous drive from Cranfield to Sunderland

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/uks-first-aut ... fkOdXRKTnO

Regards Neil
That report is definitely a nail in my coffin. If you want to live in an automatic world then they should have asked Gerry Anderson to design it in the 60's instead of wasting his time on Thunderbirds etc. I'm off to room 101! :( :(
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

doctle wrote: 27 Jul 2019, 22:42 Ireland has the worst, stupidest and most discourteous drivers in the galaxy.
You've clearly never driven in Bogota, Sao Paulo or Athens. I have....

I've also driven all over the Rep of Ireland, never once had a problem.
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 19:14 Just when you think Nissan have lost the plot out comes the Leaf and does the UK s longest autonomous drive from Cranfield to Sunderland
FML.

I DON'T WANT A SELF-DRIVING CAR. I LIKE DRIVING!!
NewcastleFalcon

This Clean Technica Account of the Nissan Leaf's Automomous drive from Cranfield to Sunderland gives a few more details

https://cleantechnica.com/2020/02/08/ni ... ous-drive/

Including its stop off at the Crathorne Hall Hotel near Yarm just off the A19. It did its journey on November 28th 2019, and a mere 6 days earlier our very own bargain basement Leaf called into Crawthorne Hall Hotel and found the chademo charger out of order and reported it :-D. Our contribution to the "record Breaking drive".

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 23 Nov 2019, 21:56
To keep it Visual, Nice picnic site at Crathorne Hall, but the first experience for us novices, of turning up at a charging station which was out of order. Had 20 miles in the bag, but had to go back on ourselves to the Instavolt at Bannatynes Health Club at Ingleby Barwick.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Rather a crass opening paragraph to this but it is entitled

Self-driving cars on UK roads in 2021. What’s the latest?

On the back of the philosophical discussion started by Richard C here , probably worth seeing what is the current-ish state of play in the UK.

Regards Neil

PS well here's one thing I learned from the article. The UK has this

Automated and Electric Vehicles Act 2018
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Well Legislation is as dull as ditchwater, but look at how the provisions of The Automated and Electric Vehicles Act attribute liability where an automated vehicle is driving itself in Great Britain. If it is insured then it is the insurer, if it is not insured it is the driver.

What price the insurance of an automated vehicle? Clear enough statement. So how do the insurers get out of the liability. 1. Assert that the driver was not using the automated vehicle mode correctly 2 Prove that the manufacturer's automated vehicle system was at fault.

I would think that 99.9% of all cases would be 1 or 2, and the insurance companies would be unlikely to "pay out" without challenge on either case. The softer target would no doubt be the motorist, technically proving that a hideously complicated self-driving system was a fault of the manufacturer sounds like an immense cost route through the courts. Logically though, blame has to lie with 1 or 2 not the insurance provider.
2 Liability of insurers etc where accident caused by automated vehicle
(1)Where—
(a)an accident is caused by an automated vehicle when driving itself on a road or other public place in Great Britain,
(b)the vehicle is insured at the time of the accident, and
(c)an insured person or any other person suffers damage as a result of the accident,
the insurer is liable for that damage.
(2)Where—
(a)an accident is caused by an automated vehicle when driving itself on a road or other public place in Great Britain,
(b)the vehicle is not insured at the time of the accident,
(c)section 143 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 (users of motor vehicles to be insured or secured against third-party risks) does not apply to the vehicle at that time—
(i)because of section 144(2) of that Act (exemption for public bodies etc), or
(ii)because the vehicle is in the public service of the Crown, and
(d)a person suffers damage as a result of the accident,
the owner of the vehicle is liable for that damage.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 02 Feb 2021, 14:08 Rather a crass opening paragraph to this but it is entitled

Self-driving cars on UK roads in 2021. What’s the latest?
There's a wildly optimistic paragraph in that article:

"A lot of drivers are concerned that self-driving cars might fall victim to hackers. To ensure automated vehicles are secure, the government and industry have invested £1.5 million in the Centre for Connected and Autonomous Vehicles (CCAV). This is working on cyber security to ensure that cars can’t be hacked by third parties for illegal reasons."

I think it should read:

"A lot of drivers are concerned that self-driving cars might fall victim to hackers. To ensure automated vehicles are secure, the government and industry have invested £1.5 million in the Centre for Connected and Autonomous Vehicles (CCAV). This is working on cyber security to ensure that it's a bit more difficult for cars to be hacked by third parties for illegal reasons."
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Most of the marketing BS towards self drive cars seems to aimed at selling them as being safer. Wouldn't an awful lot more lives be saved if all cars were restricted to (say) 80mph ? It wouldn't take shedloads of research and £Millions of investment to implement. Just think of the lives it would save :-k
If car manufacturer's first priority was making their cars safer, then surely they'd be happy to implement it. I can only assume safety isn't their first priority - who'd have thought it, eh ? :lol: 8-[
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

bobins wrote: 02 Feb 2021, 16:54 Wouldn't an awful lot more lives be saved if all cars were restricted to (say) 80mph ?
If that did happen then sales would plummet as the majority, even though they may never use the available performance, like to know that their car can...

It's all about the big pi$$ing competition so many partake in throughout life... 'Mine has to be bigger and better than yours...' and so on... You know what I mean ;)

It's one reason big aggressive SUVs find a good market and big, high-performance 'Need for Speed' or 'Grand Theft Auto' cars find a large market...

Humans are basically insecure and need their crutches... Cars are just that for many... A status symbol and a show of virility...

Those of us that are fully secure and happy in our own skins fully agree with all you say but if car makers majored on safety and made cars for the likes of us it would be commercial suicide, sadly...

I'm happy to travel around at a moderate pace in a little 1100cc car that has adequate performance and perfectly suited for the job of travelling from A to B in reasonable safety and comfort but it's clear few agree as I seldom ever overtake anything! Everything else invariably overtake me in their headlong rushes to demonstrate how they're so much bigger and oh so superior to me :roll: :twisted: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Only slightly tongue in cheek - I wonder if they could successfully market a car towards 'The driver who feels they don't have anything to prove". It'd have moderate power, not go above 75mph, be comfy, and have a useful and functional dashboard that's not full of gizmos. I'd buy it !
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

bobins wrote: 03 Feb 2021, 10:03 Only slightly tongue in cheek - I wonder if they could successfully market a car towards 'The driver who feels they don't have anything to prove". It'd have moderate power, not go above 75mph, be comfy, and have a useful and functional dashboard that's not full of gizmos. I'd buy it !
Unfortunately such a vehicle will not have any front seats. What it WILL have is a large and secure dog bed. This is for the large and mostly friendly dog that comes with the car. This dog has a microchip (so it can be tracked should it go missing) that interfaces with the immobiliser circuit (so if the dog is not in the car it won't start). The dog is (as I said) mostly friendly, but if the owner attempts to manipulate the controls the dog will have their arm off!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

That would be something like this then bobins? :-D
BFTW
BFTW
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!