Self Drive Cars

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Self Drive Cars

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Does anybody know where I can get hold of a fully functional Knight Industries Two Thousand? :D
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

the "Click" programme this morning had a special on self driving cars. Worth a watch, quite revealing about the "human" element of a fatal collision involving an UBER Volvo self driving car and a pedestrian.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... revolution

Chandler Arizona is a major centre for the testing of self driving cars due to its "grid" system of roads and a very welcoming Arizona State Government.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
doctle
My Cars: 2008 Laguna 1.5 DCi

Post by doctle »

I hope there really will be self drive cars. Self aware cars too that wont go on the road with one headlight or no brake lights. Perhaps they will indicate at junctions, use fog lights only when there's fog, not accelerate out of a side road so they can crawl ahead of you, not park against the flow of traffic and stay off their damn phone.
Oh buggle
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

I've mentioned on FCF before, but once the self driving cars reach a critical mass, then will they be able to start building cars that are a lot simpler and don't have to be built with sfatey and crash protection in-built as the likelihood of a car crashing will (theoretically at least !!) be a lot less.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

The evangelists speaking on that Click program dont just want individual self driving cars tootling around in spendid isolation, but want them to learn from each other. They want all the data from all the self driving cars around the world so that should say a group of tigers escape from a zoo and a self driving car inadvertantly hasn't learned all the random behaviour of a group of escaped tigers, following the escaped tiger incident the whole world of self driving cars learns from that incident and is better able to take the correct action should tigers escape somewhere else. :-D (my interpretation)

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
doctle

Post by doctle »

Ireland has the worst, stupidest and most discourteous drivers in the galaxy. Self driving cars would raise the standard but it won't happen here in many years. For that you need broadband, fast reliable broadband and that's not available. There are plans to bring fibre to every house in the country mind you that was to be completed in 2013 but it's been pushed out until 2025. No broadband no investment in the infrastructure needed for self driving cars. 5g which by 2025 will probably be superseded by 6g would be the logical way in my mind. I heard the UK is going to get fibre broadband to every home as well, no doubt more people will turn blue from holding their breath.
Oh buggle
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

doctle wrote: 27 Jul 2019, 22:42 Ireland has the worst, stupidest and most discourteous drivers in the galaxy.......

You ever been to Belgium ? :rofl2: :wink:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

We've got fibre to the cabinet broadband here, seems fine, not sure if 'to the home' is really necessary.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Fibre to the Premises (FTTP) is not so much of a choice but the only option for some like us.

We have a direct fibre connection coming into the house as there is no Fibre To The Cabinet infrastructure (fibre to the cabinet and then copper wire to the house) where we live and we can't get standard broadband as we are too far from the exchange. We therefore have a direct fibre optic cable connection that goes back to the distribution node at the exchange. So 75Mbps Download and 20 Mbps upload.

We have no other option and the further downside is that there are no other providers apart from BT for us to choose from, as it is BT that funded the infrastructure and no other providers have access.

Not moaning - grateful we have it - but it's that or the WiFi radio link with a max 5 Mbps that we used to have for £30 a month! No brainer.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
doctle

Post by doctle »

Luckily you at least have an indigenous company Marc. Ireland sold off the national phone company many years ago its now owned by an overseas conglomerate but that matters not a jot! The gubbermint is giving a €3 billion contract to an American consortium. Needless to say this consortium has no experience in any form of telecommunications or the needed infrastructure.
I look forward to massive overruns, the money isn't capped, poor if any service service and having my first pint with my grandson who's starting primary school in September before it's up and running.
Oh buggle
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I really hope that the opposite comes to pass and that they go guns blazing at it - our new PM has cited that he wants fibre rolled out here in the UK en masse as it remains a flipping joke to be honest with miserable coverage. Of course, priority always goes to the cities first at the expense of rural areas - despite a lot of SMEs being created in these areas, yet derisory to non-existent broadband for many.

We don't even have a mobile signal where I am (forget 3g & 4G and the soon to be *5G) - but thankfully with the Fibre access we now have, my iPhone uses the WiFi calling feature to allow calls to and from my phone using the router instead.

* That's another story - we have the anti 5G brigade going round saying we're all going to die of radiation sickness and jellied brains as they are using it on the streetlamps soon for some nefarious purposes :roll:

And to at least put something here that is thread-related - I would like to see how self-drive cars cope with rural country lane conditions - foxes, sheep, bulls, tractors and rally drivers round here.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

You forgot cyclists Marc, they've been a right pest around here during the last month or so pretending they're on the Tour de France.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

Funny, 2nd thread I've looked at this evening that I posted on last night & it's not to be seen, yet a couple of later posts seem to make oblique references to it.

I've driven a lot more in Belgium than Ireland but neither have ever registered as difficult places to contend with the locals, I'd nominate Northampton, Cardiff, Rome - & India, although, in fairness, bus drivers aside, those adjectives don't really apply, it's just they abide by a completely different set of rules, & I don't mean the Indian Highway Code!
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

As a British soldier driving in Egypt was quite interesting, our RH drive trucks driving on the right, Egyptian truckers with no dipping headlamps (they just switched the lights off) and the cotton lorries stacked 30 feet high with bales, they would get alongside and deliberately sway the load to try to knock you off the road.
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

Ah yes, I remember Cairo as being the place where crossing the road was a spectator sport.

As I understand the way the local rules work, I wouldn't drive there other than in a Hummer - with a locomotive air horn!

Then again, wasn't it British lorry drivers who objected to the use of headlights being mandatory?
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o