The PITA Electrical Connector

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Re: The PITA Electrical Connector

Post by Paul-R »

Did the blue plastic fingernail manoeuvre also involve loss of said fingernail?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

No I must have used one of my stubbier ones. Useful tool the fingernail though, it has a great deal of "feel" and you can tell whether the little plastic connector was moving in the right direction or about to break :-D

Now faced with the dilemma now the dpf is off. Should I put the hosepipe through it or leave well alone. That one has done 197,000 miles, and sooner or later will require replacing ( around £200 ish for the new part) but could I stretch another 20,000 miles from the old one with a flush out.

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Has it been backflushed before? Regardless, as it's off, I would give it a go!
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
NewcastleFalcon

Never been backflushed and never been off the car before. For now I have decided just to put it back together because the car needs to be back in action. At least when I come to fit a new DPF all the bits will come off better now and I will know how to disconnect that PITA Electrical connector.

I have watched a couple of videos on jetwashing the DPF. I would think £200 on a new one isnt too bad for a consummable part. Its not that difficult to fit once you have dealt with the rusted on nuts and the tail end of it being welded to the centre section of the exhaust. Literally a six nut job.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

The PITA Electrical Connector

One end of this is well qualified for inclusion in the thread. A 20 minute fiddle to press/pull the right bit to get it undone.

Yes its from the Vectra but by no means unique in the world of PITA Electrical Connectors.

Why the over engineering? Whats the idea of the plastic ridges....cooling fins? surely not. Basically its a two conductor wire, joining onto another 2 conductor wire.
nf own work
nf own work
Quite chuffed with myself so far. Got the multimeter out and found the problem with the ABS front right sensor/wiring. Wiring fine from ABS Ecu to under wheel arch connection, ABS hub Sensor fine, and although appearing intact, that intermediate bit of wiring with the connectors either end has no continuity on one of the conductors.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

I have to agree with you on the PITA connector engineering. I have got so fed up with them I never waste time if they don't separate straight away. Its out with the cutters on both sides of the connector leaving small tails to identify which colour is connected to which on the bench with the meter and then when refitting solder heatshrink and self amalgamating tape to finish. If I have to break it again in the future its the same procedure. Also it does eliminate dodgy connections like the infamous airbag issue under the driver's seat in Meganes. 8-)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Just been fitting a lamp that my son bought from IKEA.
They always need altering as the continental system uses a ceiling hook to support them and a plug that goes into a socket in the ceiling.
A system I like better that the British one.
The plugs have changed. I was just going to cut the cord but spent ages pulling the plug to pieces to avoid cutting and stripping the leads.

Ended up cutting about three feet off the cord and stripping the leads anyway or the lamp would have brained him every time he went into the kitchen.
NewcastleFalcon

Another example of the PITA Electrical Connector

This one from an O2 Sensor. As well as being of itself a PITA, its at a PITA location. Some may have perfected the one-handed disconnection of a PITA electrical connector.....not me. The only position I found to get 2 hands at it was to lean over the engine bay and stuff a hand/arm down either side of the back of the engine.

Its a bit of a double fiddle press action. The first releases the connector from the mounting, and the second after much fiddling releases the plug from the socket.
PITA Electrical Connector
PITA Electrical Connector
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey