Cambelt change on an automatic c5 tourer 2010 2.0 HDI

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

moizeau
Donor 2024
My Cars: 91 BX TZD Estate. Dead but loved
407 HDI 136 auto
C4 2l petrol coupé
2010 Dispatch III HDI 90
AND a 1980 Z1000ST
AND a 1983 GPz1100 inj
AND a 1995 Zephyr 1100
AND a 1980 Z650 (my moped)

Re: Cambelt change on an automatic c5 tourer 2010 2.0 HDI

Post by moizeau »

Sorry, not answering your post but, how did you undo the crank pulley bolt, was the car on the ground? Cheers
Regarding your post, have you got access to a Lexia ?
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

AJM C5 wrote: 28 Jun 2019, 16:38 Hi there,

I've been studying this cambelt thread for weeks with the view to doing the belt change among other service items missing from the vehicles history file. Being ex-Land Rover, I know how incredibly useful forums can be, as is this thread but I now appear to have a problemo, so here goes...

Its a C5 (X7) 2.0 HDi 2009 Tourer, manual GB, and quite a nice car it is too. 220,000km but you'd never know it. All worked well, only had to show it the key and it was like a dog off the leash. Issues with self levelling, but I could work around it and that was fourth on the list of jobs to do.

I followed Marc's detailed description and instructions on what to do, and and other input, and also viewed the helpful video someone put up (thank you), excepting disconnecting the low fuel pipes and removing the suspension brackets and arm. And also the manual fuel pump, but the pipes were not disconnected anyway, so.

The crucial things of locking the cam sprocket and crankshaft were done 100% perfectly, which I did when the tools arrived on Tuesday last. There is no mistake on that.

After replacing the tensioner, pulley, waterpump, and cambelt, then the aux belt, oil & filter, I slowly reassembled everything.

Performed the manual engine turnover and all is fine, as expected no horrendous crunches.

The moment came to start the engine; I took the advice and prayed.... The engine turned and sounded nice, only there was a new error message about the handbrake... A 'failure'?! Oh and by the way, the engine would not start. The HB is now a fault, even though on both settings I can hear something happen when disengaging and the display says so, my question is, although I chocked the rear wheels for safety, does the system stop ignition if there is such a fault?

Otherwise what could the problem possibly be. The only electrical loom I disconnected was the engine speed sensor which I reconnected, don't think any coolant touched that after water pump removal.

So there I am, beautiful car I'm doing the work for (local Citroen garage appear not to accept anything but there own parts at twice the price, plus twice the labour charges of the UK) ) but it won't start, how ungrateful. Plenty of top grade fuel in the tank too!

Any thoughtful suggestions would be appreciated.

Kind Rgds
AJ

AJ - That guide was specifically for the DW10CTED4 163 engine - which you won't have being a 2009. Pop up your VIN so I know what you have. I'm sure the procedure would of been similar, but this is an entirely different engine.

Secondly always a good idea to follow the battery disconnect procedure before undertaking any jobs like this where you need to unplug any electric - as the car is 'live' even with the engine switched off for a period of time. This would restart all the ECUs on battery reconnection properly, and avoid electrical issues.

I suggest you follow this guide exactly - this will reset all the ECUs properly - but very important not to skip timings, fiddle with switches or open doors etc or the procedure will fail.

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=61997

See how you get on.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

The first place I'd look at is the Engine Speed Sensor down behind the crank pulley. Either check the connector, positioning, or it's gone broken.
Item 22 below.
Engine speed Sensor - PSA, fair use
Engine speed Sensor - PSA, fair use
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
AJM C5
(Donor 2019)
My Cars: C5 Tourer Exclusive 2009, 2.0 HDi
Land Rover V8 LPG 1994
TVR Chimera V8, Tornado cam, Semi race

Post by AJM C5 »

moizeau wrote: 28 Jun 2019, 17:13 Sorry, not answering your post but, how did you undo the crank pulley bolt, was the car on the ground? Cheers
Regarding your post, have you got access to a Lexia ?

Hi, I used a 2ft Sampson bar on ratchet entensions leveraged off the back of the calliper with a bit of 2 * 2 in between. The bolt has to be all of 100 ft lbs...

Yes, car was on three chocked wheels, an axle stand, and trolley jack backup taking 1/3 weight at rear of sub frame.

No to the Lexia.

Cheers.
Last edited by AJM C5 on 29 Jun 2019, 06:02, edited 1 time in total.
AJM C5
(Donor 2019)
Land Rover V8 LPG 1994

Post by AJM C5 »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 28 Jun 2019, 17:57
AJ - That guide was specifically for the DW10CTED4 163 engine - which you won't have being a 2009. Pop up your VIN so I know what you have. I'm sure the procedure would of been similar, but this is an entirely different engine.

Secondly always a good idea to follow the battery disconnect procedure before undertaking any jobs like this where you need to unplug any electric - as the car is 'live' even with the engine switched off for a period of time. This would restart all the ECUs on battery reconnection properly, and avoid electrical issues.

I suggest you follow this guide exactly - this will reset all the ECUs properly - but very important not to skip timings, fiddle with switches or open doors etc or the procedure will fail.

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=61997

See how you get on.

Hi Marc,

Thanks for that. I will carry out that procedure later this morning. After de greasing myself and cleaning up last night I went through the work done in my mind's eye and concluded that it must be either electrics or fuel supply, or both.

FYI the car had been sitting unlocked, bonnet up, nothing activated (doors etc) for 7 days or so before I began disassembly, but still point taken on battery disconnect 'generally', for ECU/systems as you say, even mechanically for this job.

I hope there is no radio code to worry about.

VIN : VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Cheers.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No the radio is VIN coded, no need to worry about that.

As I suspected you have the DW10BTED4 138 engine. I’ll have a quick comparison between the two procedures to see if there is anything specifically different.

Update: Yes, as I thought, different procedure, similar but different - I will post it up in a different section later on along with the other engine as these are referred to quite often.

Marc
AJM C5
(Donor 2019)
Land Rover V8 LPG 1994

Post by AJM C5 »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 29 Jun 2019, 10:03 No the radio is VIN coded, no need to worry about that.

As I suspected you have the DW10BTED4 138 engine. I’ll have a quick comparison between the two procedures to see if there is anything specifically different.

Okay.

Sad to say but having carried out the Ecu resets four times to the procedure (2nd time forgot lights already on) on the link, turns over beautifully but still no joy starting. Additionally the central locking now clunks on unlock only but nothing on lock and doesn't lock the car, neither do the wing mirrors retract. The Service light is off & on but it was before anyway when the self levelling needed attention.

:rofl2: Excuse me but I have to laugh, they MAY have got to the moon using a 1st gen pocket calculator once upon a time, but 50 years later the chips appear to have taken over my car. Or maybe that's the plan. :shock:
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That's if you can believe they actually went as you indicate - an unmanned rocket perhaps but that's another topic...

I think you really need a lexia session - the fact that the service light is on and off means there is an issue - intermittent or otherwise. These cars have so many electronics that it is essential to have a diagnostic device like a Lexia to problem solve. It is hard to tell if you have an immobiliser issue, a dodgy key fob, engine speed sensor or camshaft sensor issue - you get the picture and it will be purely guesswork without some diagnostics and fault codes.

Marc
AJM C5
(Donor 2019)
Land Rover V8 LPG 1994

Post by AJM C5 »

Thanks for all your help Marc, I will give it one more go with a different fob, having left earth off for an hour, otherwise I will find a Lexia (man) from somewhere. I will think of it as a static work of art in the courtyard in the mean time.

Yes, and what a massive 'topic' that is too. Well of course they went, we all saw it on TV so it must be true, and besides, all those Nasa execs and ground controllers monitoring it all in 'rehearsals' and then.. 'Live' (aghemm), well they would have said something...wouldnt they.

Have a nice Weekend.

Cheers.
AJM C5
(Donor 2019)
Land Rover V8 LPG 1994

Post by AJM C5 »

bobins wrote: 28 Jun 2019, 19:20 The first place I'd look at is the Engine Speed Sensor down behind the crank pulley. Either check the connector, positioning, or it's gone broken.
Item 22 below.

engine speed.jpg

Thanks for your suggestion, it's still in the mix of possibilities, one never knows until one knows for sure.

Cheers.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

AJM C5 wrote: 29 Jun 2019, 12:07 Thanks for all your help Marc, I will give it one more go with a different fob, having left earth off for an hour, otherwise I will find a Lexia (man) from somewhere. I will think of it as a static work of art in the courtyard in the mean time.

Yes, and what a massive 'topic' that is too. Well of course they went, we all saw it on TV so it must be true, and besides, all those Nasa execs and ground controllers monitoring it all in 'rehearsals' and then.. 'Live' (aghemm), well they would have said something...wouldnt they.

Have a nice Weekend.

Cheers.
Ok, so as promised - and I know it's a bit after the event - here's the guide on the timing belt for the DW10BTED4 engine. I've given it a separate post in the How To section. It may help you recap what you did compared to the official guide and recommendations to see if there is anything you missed:

DW10BTED4 Timing Belt Replacement Guide

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I can see further comments on the Supposed Moon landings, so created another topic for that in a more appropriate place and moved relevant posts there...

Moon Landings - Did they or Didn't They Topic

Marc
AJM C5
(Donor 2019)
Land Rover V8 LPG 1994

Post by AJM C5 »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 29 Jun 2019, 13:10
AJM C5 wrote: 29 Jun 2019, 12:07 Thanks for all your help Marc, I will give it one more go with a different fob, having left earth off for an hour, otherwise I will find a Lexia (man) from somewhere. I will think of it as a static work of art in the courtyard in the mean time.

Have a nice Weekend.

Cheers.
Ok, so as promised - and I know it's a bit after the event - here's the guide on the timing belt for the DW10BTED4 engine. I've given it a separate post in the How To section. It may help you recap what you did compared to the official guide and recommendations to see if there is anything you missed:

DW10BTED4 Timing Belt Replacement Guide

That's a lot of effort, well done.

What's different and what I did not do, such as removing fuel pipes, lower stabiliser bar, releasing the air hose, air inlet resonator, the impacter should have no bearing on my no start, but good instruction and reference for the next guy nevertheless.
AJM C5
(Donor 2019)
Land Rover V8 LPG 1994

Post by AJM C5 »

Marc,

Is this what I need, and will it fix the latest problems after ecu reset procedure of mirrors not retracting, window not closing and reprogramme the fobs do you think?

Rgds
AJ

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Professional ... ect=mobile
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I would avoid that!

You only need a half decent laptop, and the Lexia kit. The Lexia full chip kit is available at present with 16% off, so 1% cheaper than the Forum discount code for the present sale period., so £99.12. You can pick up a laptop on the Bay - one here would be ideal - similar model to what I use:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-Think ... SwIyxcxu3n

That has a 320Gb drive Win 7 installed and 1 year warranty - so together that's £200.... quite a saving. The software (Diagbox) will work with Peugeot, Citroen and DS vehicles and is an investment if you are going to have any of these vehicles in future.

There are other suppliers available of course, but I have a Lenovo laptop and my Lexia kit is a full chip one from Easydiagnostics.
https://www.easydiagnostics.co.uk/produ ... revision-c

Marc