Xantia S2 Steering Wheel Photos

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Saraphee
My Cars: Citroen Xantia S1 Exclusive (Thai Version)
Citroen ZX 2.0i (Thai version)
Lotus Elite
Isuzu Grand Adventure
Rochdale Olympic
Scimitar SE5a

Xantia S2 Steering Wheel Photos

Post by Saraphee »

I have an XM, which at some point in it's checkered history has been fitted with a Xantia 2 wheel.
It's under refurbishment right now and one of the things I hope to do is connect the 8 (Yes 8!!) Control buttons to my about to be installed Pioneer Audio/CD/USB/Bluetooth Head Unit. I've got what I am assured is the correct connector kit BTW.

The wheel came off to go to the Upholsterer to have it recovered in Leather and I attach a couple of pics of the insides.
Seems to me that there are bits missing!

Can anyone oblige and show me what I should have inside there, and better yet tell me what I need to do to achieve my 'modest' objective?
IMG_20190518_102538 (Large).jpg
IMG_20190510_135206 (Large).jpg
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: Xantia S2 Steering Wheel Photos

Post by xantia_v6 »

The wiring ribbons for the radio switches have been cut off, there should be a small printed circuit board that they (and the horn switch wires) terminate on.
On the steering column there should be 2 rubber-covered ribbons to connect to the airbag (2 way) and the radio controls/horn (about 6 way) which go to the clock-spring rotary connector.

Depending on what radio and controls your XM was originally equipped with, it may not have the wiring for radio controls in the steering wheel.

you can see the ribbon cables and pcb and rotary connector in this post:
GiveMeABreak wrote: 19 Feb 2019, 10:58 They are similar but not the same according to parts:
Xantia S2 Steering WheelXM S2 Steering Wheel
Xantia MK II Steering Wheel.PNGXM S2 Steering Wheel.PNG
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Hi Rex,

You could try to get hold an XM steering wheel, which should be complete with the audio switches, wiring and the small p.c.b.

If you look over on club-xm, I recently did a write up of installing a new Sony radio/cd/usb etc into XM, and retaining the use of the steering wheel controls. In my case, the conversion/interface kit just didn't work, and the supplier was of no help at all. I found what resistive values the Sony needed, and just put together a small p.c.b. to provide them. Details in the forum post - Radio/CD update...., in Self-Help. It includes the resistive values for a Pioneer unit, and the switch wiring.
Chris
Saraphee
My Cars: Citroen Xantia S1 Exclusive (Thai Version)
Citroen ZX 2.0i (Thai version)
Lotus Elite
Isuzu Grand Adventure
Rochdale Olympic
Scimitar SE5a

Post by Saraphee »

Thanks for those two helpful replies.
As I've just paid the equivalent of £70 to have the steering wheel recovered I think I'll see what the local electronics whizz kids can put together to make both horns and audio work.
I'll certainly be printing out your notes Chris - if only to present a challenge to them!
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Do you have the multi-way connector for the steering wheel controls?

In this photo it is the black connector on the right. Your car may never have had one if it did not originally have steering wheel controls.

The orange connector second from right should be the connector for the air bag.