LDS Tank Bursting Warning Labels

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jay-Bruce
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: BMW 635D
Citroen C5 Tourer (X7) 3.0HDi Exclusive
407 Coupe 2.7vh HDI
206 gti180
206 GranTurisme (Sold)
BX Gti16V (Phase2)

Re: LDS Tank Bursting Warning Labels

Post by Jay-Bruce »

Quick question, when we switch off our c5's engine, it lowers the suspension a smidgen, I presume this is to do with making it easier to get in and out? However it makes me wonder, does the engine need to be running, with the suspension set to max height, as the weight is transferred from the wheels to the 2 poster? And does it also need to be running, with the suspension set to max height as the weight is transferred back to the wheels?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

jay-bruce wrote: 17 May 2019, 18:24
Quick question, when we switch off our c5's engine, it lowers the suspension a smidgen, I presume this is to do with making it easier to get in and out?
No, the vehicle adjusts the ride height slightly to account for rougher surfaces. when it is back on 'normal' ground according to conditions, or when switching off, the car will lower back to normal position. The same as when you unlock the car in the morning, it will check the height and if needed raise the car a little to normal height settings.
However it makes me wonder, does the engine need to be running, with the suspension set to max height, as the weight is transferred from the wheels to the 2 poster?
If the car will be lifted off the ground with the wheels unsupported - i.e. hanging freely, then yes, the suspension must be raised to high first, with engine running until the max. height is reached (once suspension has been raised you can switch engine off - height will be maintained), then remove the LDS cap.
And does it also need to be running, with the suspension set to max height as the weight is transferred back to the wheels?
The car will already be at max height if you followed the guidance before lifting the car off the ground. When it is lowered back to the ground, the max. height will be maintained. You can then start the car and return the height to normal position and replace LDS cap.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Jay-Bruce
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: BMW 635D
Citroen C5 Tourer (X7) 3.0HDi Exclusive
407 Coupe 2.7vh HDI
206 gti180
206 GranTurisme (Sold)
BX Gti16V (Phase2)

Post by Jay-Bruce »

Thanks Marc, I was going to give your post a like but couldnt bring my self to break the sequential score you currently have...

If I clicked like that would raise your score from 1234 to 1235, and erm, I'm a little OCD :rofl2:
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Well spotted so am I!

Marc
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

jay-bruce wrote: 17 May 2019, 21:11 Thanks Marc, I was going to give your post a like but couldnt bring my self to break the sequential score you currently have...

If I clicked like that would raise your score from 1234 to 1235, and erm, I'm a little OCD :rofl2:

Get yourself joining in on the significant milages thread Jay! There are a decent crop of "number noticers" on here :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Doo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2000 Range Rover V8 4.0
2004 Jaguar XK8 4.2
2007 Citroen C4 1.6hdi SX
2012 Berlingo Multispace e-hdi XTR (nice drive :-)
2016 Suzuki Burgman AN650 Executive
I miss my Renault 5 Gordini Turbo....

Post by Doo »

As the owner of a Range Rover P38 with functioning airbag suspension I make it my priority to alert lesser clownage of the position of my car suspension in that it MUST NOT be touched by stupid people!

I usually don't let anyone near it unless they actually understand that they can damage my system by allowing the wheels to hang.

I take care to explain that any jacking of my vehicle needs to be done on the axle, one wheel at a time.

My car is 20 years old & immaculate & I intend keeping it that way.

Do you also do stickers for other marques :-D

Good show though, I like this forum 8-) 8-)
Has anyone seen the plot? :?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

May not apply to your model but when I mentioned it to the people doing my tracking they were aware and also mentioned Range Rovers being similar - the trick being to open the tailgate if the wheels were to be hanging.
Doo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2000 Range Rover V8 4.0
2004 Jaguar XK8 4.2
2007 Citroen C4 1.6hdi SX
2012 Berlingo Multispace e-hdi XTR (nice drive :-)
2016 Suzuki Burgman AN650 Executive
I miss my Renault 5 Gordini Turbo....

Post by Doo »

myglaren wrote: 10 Sep 2019, 07:23 May not apply to your model but when I mentioned it to the people doing my tracking they were aware and also mentioned Range Rovers being similar - the trick being to open the tailgate if the wheels were to be hanging.
I'm more worried that they could damage the height sensors now that they're old and brittle. But I have seen airbags come off because the clip that holds them in place has come off. Then the fun & games trying to set it back in place and insert a new pin #-o
Has anyone seen the plot? :?
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Just my tuppence worth, think that there are good tyre fitters out there that know there stuff.
Yesterday the wife had a slow puncture front n/s on our ( yeah hers really ) C5 and she took it into Bathwick Tyres in Sterte ( Poole )
Yes admit that the tread on both was close to 2-3mm and this time of year i said just get them both changed for new.
However she did mention that when she was asked to drive into the bay she was asked to put the suspension to its highest setting before stopping the car.
Ours ( Hers ) is steel sprung but having the Xantia she understood and explained, but nice to see attention to detail from people we often bash

Colin

And before you ask, i paid for them by default :rofl2: :rofl2:
Redrich
My Cars: Moggy minor woody (first car..rotted but sold for profit)
Citroen GS estate 1025cc terminal rust an engine
2 Triumph 2000's used first for parts till tinworm got best of both
Fiat 500 great fun till Merc rear ended her
Viva ..yuck
Citroen GSa
Citroen Bx X2
Xantia1.9 and 2.1 TD
C5 MK1 best car I've had 170000 but someone smashed rear screen..offers?
C5 tourer 2.7 hdi V6 exclusive now

Post by Redrich »

Happened to me and I didn't have any wheels off the ground, just on high then low and ..bang!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

As I mentioned in my first post - it was probably weakened from previous operations where the procedure was not followed - which is what happens - and then one day it will just burst. It weakens along the seam.

Marc
alexrgs
New User
My Cars: Citroen C6
Peugeot 107

in the past
XM 2.0i (two cars)
XM 2.0i 16V cat VSX

Post by alexrgs »

I have questions about jacking the car up:
- If I raise the car to its maximum heigh, could I put four jack stands below the car, and could I set a lower heigh so that the car could rest onto the jack stands?
- when the car is jacked up on the four jack stands and its wheels are hanging, could I de-pressurize the hydraulic system?
RPekka
My Cars: Citroen C4 Cactus -19
Citroen DS5H4 -13
Citroen C-Crosser -12
Citroen C4 Picasso -07
Citroen 2CV -80
Citroen Dyane -75

Post by RPekka »

jay-bruce wrote: 15 May 2019, 18:17 most likely eploded our cars tank.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. I've never heard of this and I've had 4 Hydractive 3 cars that all have been "hanging freely". I don't see the theory of a hanging wheel sucking the oil out being very possible.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It happens - fact. Specifically on the C5 and C6 vehicles. This has been covered by many who have had this issue on many forums. Even the vented cap on the LDS tank is not sufficient to cope with the back pressure of a hydractive vehicle that has not had the suspension raised to the highest level and where the wheels have been suspended, returning to the ground in an uncontrolled manner.

In other words, if the garage lowers the car too fast to the ground and the suspension is not in the highest position, the fluid pressure under the weight of the car crashing down can force the fluid back to the tank in an uncontrolled manner. This can in some cases immediately cause a burst tank, or can and will over time weaken the LDS tank at the seam.

The labels we have produced are for the uneducated on these matters, and intended for owners or as reminders for third party garages / mechanics who do not understand the implications.

The main cause is not first raising the car to the highest position prior to lifting the car up (as specified in the owner manual). When the car is lifted up like this all the fluid is pulled into the suspension struts as the wheels are extended under their weight. Having the suspension on the highest setting prevents all the uncontrolled fluid returning to the reservoir when lowered, as the struts will remain on the highest position until the height is lowered using the control which lowers the vehicle slowly.

If you are careful how you return the car to the ground, then you likely won't have the issue.

Marc
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

My MOT place has instructions for them to avoid any problems.

Range Rovers with air suspension too, there is some trickery with the rear door being opened in conjunction with the car being lifted off its wheels.