C5 3.0 V6 240 hdi Oil Capacity/Over the Max Level - Did I f**k up?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tredy
My Cars: C5 X7 3.0 V6 240 HDi

C5 3.0 V6 240 hdi Oil Capacity/Over the Max Level - Did I f**k up?

Post by tredy »

So I changed the oil on the C5 3.0 hdi 2 months ago, car manual says oil capacity with filter change is 6.25L
I did everything according to the manual, put into the new oil 6.25L (supposing a mistake had been made it wasn't over 6.3L anyway!) and the stick level was slightly over the max level, the initial system oil check says "oil level correct " so I didn't empty it because it was just 3/4 mm over the max level and the system oil check said it was correct.

Now I'm getting worried and I don't know if the following 2 issues are related...yesterday while driving the car at costant speed around 90km/h the car for about 3 seconds lost rpm, like the engine was coughing. Today I start the car and the initial oil check say "oil level measurement invalid" which means, according to the car manual, the oil level indicator fault. I check the oil with the stick and it was 3/4 mm over the max level like it was when I changed it, I run the car and at 80/90 km/h it did briefly that rpm loss/coughing engine like it did before, I stop and check the oil level again and it's the same 3/4 mm over max.
Now the system oil check says the oil level is correct. Car is/was parked always straight when measuring and I waited 10/15 minutes before checking.

Dear fellows can you help find out:
A- what's the real oil capacity of the 3.0 V6 hdi engine
B- if the rpm/engine coughing episodes are related to the oil being 3/4 mm over the max
C- why the initial oil check always said it was correct except the day the engine lost briefly rpms (was the oil level indicator faulty all the way even though it says "oil level correct")
D- has the engine or any other part been possibly even slightly damaged for 3/4 mm of oil over the max?

I feel so dumb! Thanks!
moizeau
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 91 BX TZD Estate. Dead but loved
407 HDI 136 auto
C4 2l petrol coupé
2010 Dispatch III HDI 90
AND a 1980 Z1000ST
AND a 1983 GPz1100 inj
AND a 1995 Zephyr 1100
AND a 1980 Z650 (my moped)

Re: C5 3.0 V6 240 hdi Oil Capacity/Over the Max Level - Did I f**k up?

Post by moizeau »

Oil capacity and how much you put in are two different things. Capacity if referring to a dry engine, after an oil change some oil remains, so you need slightly less. I always put 2/3 quantity back in, run the engine for a couple of minutes, leave to settle then fill as per the dipstick readings. I'd drain or better still suck a little oil out to remove this possibility, though without knowing how much 3/4mm is in quantity it's hard to say but I doubt that it would cause an error. Next I would have a Lexia session done. There should be a code in there unless it's cleaned itself once normal parameters were met.The auto oil check gives you an 'idea' of the oil level and alerts you if it's low, always use the dipstick for accuracy.
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Engine oil capacity for the 3.0 HDi X7 is:
DesignationBy gravityBy suction
Oil capacity without replacement of the filter cartridge6,1 litres6,35 litres
Oil capacity with replacement of the filter cartridge6,25 litres6,5 litres

Capacity between minimum and maximum on the oil gauge1,75 litr
Always check oil regularly using the manual dipstick.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Jay-Bruce
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: BMW 635D
Citroen C5 Tourer (X7) 3.0HDi Exclusive
407 Coupe 2.7vh HDI
206 gti180
206 GranTurisme (Sold)
BX Gti16V (Phase2)

Post by Jay-Bruce »

3-4mm over the max doesn't sound that bad, but drain some out just in case. I doubt the slightly too much oil will have done much if any lasting damage. As for it being a possible cause of the coughing, maybes... I've dealt with lots of enigines over the years, most find their own level by evaporating off any excess, it gets splashed onto the sides of the block and underside of the pistons and the heat turns this excess oil into vapour and it usually isn't big deal. However, if the v6 3.0hdi ingests its own crank case vapour as part of the intake air, some of that oil mist might be interfering with the airlow meter or some other sensor in the intake air tract? The oil vapour would only leave a fine film of oil on the sensors if it is the issue, and can easily be cleaned off with brake cleaner / electrical contact cleaner or some such.

Put a fault code reader on your car and see what codes it flashes up? Even if you don't have one yet, a cheap bluetooth ebay special with a suitable app such as Torque on your phone will let you see basic engine codes on these cars. The faultcodes, if any are logged, will point you in the right direction to sort out the fault, if they don't try cleaning the air flow meter and intake air temperature and Manifold Absolute Pressure sensors.

I suspect however, that you probably did a fuel filter at the same time, and I wonder if the coughing it the car getting a little bit of air in the fuel system? If so it will probably work itself out in time. Also, if doing the oil and filter change, did you do the air filter? Could there be something not sealed up correct allowing some "unmetered air" in to the engine?

Don't beat yourself up about it, you haven't wrecked your car, whatever is causing the intermittent coughing won't be anything major and we will help you get to the bottom of it. If you are anywhere near me (north aberdeenshire) I could easily plug in a lexia/diagbox laptop and see what your car has to say for itself?
Jay-Bruce
(Donor 2022)
407 Coupe 2.7vh HDI
206 gti180
206 GranTurisme (Sold)
BX Gti16V (Phase2)

Post by Jay-Bruce »

AH! Just noticed the OP is in italy #-o

If he wants to pay my flights I'll easily come over with my diagnostics laptop for a working holiday, drinking wine, and playing with citroens in the sun sounds great :rofl2:
tredy
My Cars: C5 X7 3.0 V6 240 HDi

Post by tredy »

update: oil level increased because dpf was regenerating, so diesel was injected into the oil, the very brief coughing of the engine was probably related to this, it hasn't done it again, now oil level is 3/4 mm below max and I'll probably keep it at this level.

@jay-bruce thanks but hey I wish it was sunny!! we're having a true scottish weather this may!
Jay-Bruce
(Donor 2022)
407 Coupe 2.7vh HDI
206 gti180
206 GranTurisme (Sold)
BX Gti16V (Phase2)

Post by Jay-Bruce »

Glad you got the citroen sorted, but even if the weather was scottish rather than sunny, I'd still have relished the trip for access to real italian food :-)

There is nothing in the world, up to and including the outbreak of a full on nuclear war, that cannot be sorted by good lasagne and tiramisu.