2001 Berlingo seats

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Martinez
My Cars: Pug 407 2.0 hdi sport
Berlingo Nu Venture Surf 2.0 hdi

2001 Berlingo seats

Post by Martinez »

Firstly in an effort to improve my 01 bingo I bought some seats from a 2017 model.
Anyone done this conversion ?
I know I’ll have to make a beaker but that’s no problem.
Secondly, before I fit these I need to put the old ones back in but didn’t note where the plastic spacers went. Doh !
Anyone know ?
Martinez

Re: 2001 Berlingo seats

Post by Martinez »

No idea what a beaker is cos I typed bracket !
Anyway, looking at these new seats, there’s only drivers seat that has wire to seatbelt clip.
Also, there’s no pretensioners fitted unless they’re on the belt end.
So, do I need them ? Insurance might be bit touchy if I haven got them ?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Your likely trying to mix seats designed with side airbags. The pretensioners are fitted into the anchored portion of the seat belts if fitted. There are 2 types with and without pretensioners.

As for the seat - if you have the outer section with this panel and a small label - then it has a seat airbag.
Seat Airbab.PNG
Basically if you are modding any part of your car - but especially anything that concerns safety devices you really do need to let insurance know or you are effectively asking for trouble.

Obviously you can't connect a seat with airbag to a vehicle without the system - but be aware that you still have the explosives inside the seat, so don't be connecting the wires anywhere soon.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Martinez

Post by Martinez »

No airbags fitted. As it’s a campervan I may not have some of the issues with insurance that may affect more standard vehicles. It’s quite common for owners to swap seats and fit something more comfortable.
I will inform the insurance and will consider fitting either the other part of the belt to match the seat, or fit the pretensioners from the old seats to the new seats. I’m just confused as to why there’s no connection to seatbelt on passenger side ?
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

May have something to do with vans rarely carrying passengers (doesn't seem so long ago the seat was an optional extra)
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Martinez wrote: 12 May 2019, 09:02 No airbags fitted. As it’s a campervan I may not have some of the issues with insurance that may affect more standard vehicles. It’s quite common for owners to swap seats and fit something more comfortable.
I will inform the insurance and will consider fitting either the other part of the belt to match the seat, or fit the pretensioners from the old seats to the new seats. I’m just confused as to why there’s no connection to seatbelt on passenger side ?
You can't just go and fit pre-tensioners! The system is integrated with other components and the Airbag ECU. If they are not fitted as standard leave them. As for the seats if you didn't have side airbags in the original seats, then ignore the connections for those on the new ones. Trying to connect something containing a pyrotechnic that should not be connected is a sure way to trigger it unexpectedly potentially being lethal.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Martinez

Post by Martinez »

Sorry should have been clearer, neither seats have airbags so not an issue.
Martinez

Post by Martinez »

It’s been a while, but I’ve really got to get these seats sorted. After lots of design changes I finally settled on the best way to fit the 2016 seats to the 2001 van. Major issue was trying to keep the flip up option. After numerous attempts I realised it was a no go, so a more simple design where they’re just welded to new mounting plates bolted onto the original chassis points. A major problem I encountered was the angle of the seats bases. But I’ve made the new brackets to take this into account. Still stuck on the seat belts though. There are 3 options I can see. 1. Weld some plates onto the new brackets to bolt them onto. 2. Bolt them to the new seats where the newer unit fits (I’ve tried this and they do fit but will need a small bracket welding to the seat frame to secure) or 3. Try and fit the belts from a 2016 model Bingo. That would be my preferred option. So anyone know if the newer seat belts will fit, and if not can I modify them or the van to make them fit ?
Martinez

Post by Martinez »

D34AC64D-BC1E-4556-B997-6B68AA5D8D48.jpeg
I meant to post picture of the new seats but seems an age ago I did it. Anyway, Insurance Company didn’t charge me any extra for the new seats and the original pre tensioner fitted the new seats, only in different place and on opposite sides.
Flogeot
My Cars: 2CV - Ren Express I - Rover P6B - Honda Jazz I - Audi 200 T - Volvo V70 - Fiat 500e - Peu Partner I 2005

Post by Flogeot »

Hi, just registered on this forum for this (older) thread. Yesterday I had a look for these seats but measured the different mounting distances. How did you fix this? "Welded to new mounting plates bolted onto the original chassis points". Did you do that on both inside and outside chassis points? I measured about 10cm difference in width. Then there is the angle fixed with new brackets, tensioners.. Great to see it can be done, but I doubt about the hurdles to be taken to do this myself. But seating comfy will soon forget the amount of time putting into this I guess :)
Martinez

Post by Martinez »

Hi Flogeot. Obviously any modifications are at your own risk,
You are right about width issues and the newer seats are also longer too. The newer seats have a separate frame which bolts underneath the runners. I actually used part of this welded to part of the older seat frame on one side, and some 50mm steel angle on the other. There’s also an issue of the angle at which the seats fit and how far forwards you fit them onto the base. It was a game of trial and error until I was eventually satisfied I’d got the best compromise.
The seat belt tensioners were bolted onto where the originals were but if I remember right, I had to swop them over. ie. Os to ns. There are pros n cons to this conversion. The cons being I can no longer easily access behind the seats, and I can’t climb over them to get into the rear. They do fold forwards nicely though to give the extra foot room needed when I’m in bed. Remember though, modifying the seats could compromise your safety in the event of a crash. Any modification needs to be to a suitable standard. .
Flogeot
My Cars: 2CV - Ren Express I - Rover P6B - Honda Jazz I - Audi 200 T - Volvo V70 - Fiat 500e - Peu Partner I 2005

Post by Flogeot »

Hi Martinez, thank you for your quick reply. I noted the separate frame indeed. So a steel angle can do the trick. Did you do the welding on the gear tunnel side? (the door side has this higher attachment points). But than there is the seating angle as well. Can you explain how you fixed this without getting into details too much?
I found out there are companies producing compatible chairframes. Might be the better solution for me although still puzzels me if it will fit the newer seats on top. https://www.voorwindenparts.nl/stoelfra ... ra-91.html Off course I keep safety in mind, better seating also improves safety!
Martinez

Post by Martinez »

Those look good. Don’t know what year yours is but the 306 frame fits mine. You will still need to use the spacers underneath the frame. Tbh if I was doing it again I’d just build the subframe level and then fit spacers underneath to get angle correct. The newer seats will need to be fitted further forwards than the older seats and I can only suggest you build the subframe and bolt it in, the try the new seats remembering that they need to be able to slide forwards. I’ll post a couple more pictures later
Martinez

Post by Martinez »

Hers some pictures. I use parts from original seat bases and parts from new seat subframes. The difficult mount to make is the one at the front that bolts through horizontally, I just cut that part from old seats and welded it on.
I got a little sidetracked at start of build as I was trying to make passenger seat fold flat and flip up like the old seat did. But after numerous failed attempts I resorted to simplifying the build.
Attachments
IMG_0940.jpeg
IMG_0941.jpeg
IMG_0942.jpeg
IMG_0943.jpeg
IMG_0944.jpeg