Please help! - Desperately seeking, not Susan, but 1341H2 (discontinued part) for Citroen C8

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Sid Tran
My Cars: 2003 Citroen C8 2.0i 16V SX

Please help! - Desperately seeking, not Susan, but 1341H2 (discontinued part) for Citroen C8

Post by Sid Tran »

Dear Frenchcarfans,

My wonderful Citroen C8 is destined for the scrapyard unless I can source a replacement part - 1341H2 pipe.

I am hoping that someone, somewhere might be able to help me to obtain one.

Why such a fuss over an old car?

Well, it is the first car I ever bought new since 2003. It has brought each of my newborn children home from the hospital and grown along with them, so I'm not ready to let it go without knowing that I've done everything possible.

The part looks like this
EW10J4 engine rear coolant pipe.jpg
And is number 13 on this parts diagram
image.jpg

Yours,

Sid
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Please help! - Desperately seeking, not Susan, but 1341H2 (discontinued part) for Citroen C8

Post by RichardW »

I reckon a collection of silicone hoses and joiners is the only way out of that....
Richard W
Sid Tran

Re: Please help! - Desperately seeking, not Susan, but 1341H2 (discontinued part) for Citroen C8

Post by Sid Tran »

Hello Richard!

Thank you so much for this. I recall you advising as such when I first had the problem with the pipe needing repair.

I did mentioned this solution to my car doctor and he said that high pressure will be carried with the pipe (hence it being made of metal).

I presume that the pipe is subjected to both high temperature and high pressure. Would the silicone hoses and joiners be appropriate for this job?

If so, I'll gladly head back to the garage to plead for this to be done.

With all best wishes,

Sid
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It's widely used underbonnet, can't see why it wouldn't be any good. Here's an example https://www.viperperformance.co.uk/ - they may even be able to make a replacement one piece, worth asking.
Richard W
31mev
My Cars: 2x CX familials (Gone)
Renault Espace (Gone)
Range Rover Classic
Isuzu Trooper
Family citroens
C5
C4
C4GP

Post by 31mev »

Hi Sid

Richards solution would in my opinion work up to a point. The silicon would be more than up to the job, remember the pressure in the water jacket is governed by the pressure cap (unless faulty) There might be variations in high flow areas but only a couple of pounds.
I think the reason for it being made of steel, is that if made of rubber the long runs might chafe against other components. Clearly steel holds its form and once secures in place will not move.
I would suggest that someone gets hold of the pipe and goes over it to ascertain where it is weak. It may only be in a couple of small areas. You have a couple of options then. 1.Weld them up if they are small or 2. Chop out a length of rotten pipe and replace with, you guessed it silicon hose. By retaining most of the steel, you retain the benefits of that material. You should only have to source straight silicon which comes in every size imaginable.
Having had your car so long you would be the man to ask about a C8. I need a people carrier. I had a Renault Espace for 17 years and got rid of it last year. Mistake. I need another carrier and was considering a c8. Are they generally reliable. In 160,000 miles my Espace let me down once for 5 minutes in a hypermarket in France, then mysteriously burst into life. C8's seem to be unfairly maligned by most people who only see german as the way forward. My children were raised in a couple of CX estates and then the Espace. I cannot bring myself to buy a Galaxy (jeerman) your advice please. Apologies for going off topic!
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

These folk (France) are showing stock for 1341H2, but check they actually have it...

If you need to fabricate one from scratch, you might be able to remake the metal part with copper (plumbing) pipe and elbows/tees, but braze the joints, or use high-silver plumbing solder.
Last edited by RichardW on 06 May 2019, 07:31, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link deleted as potentially a scam
Chris
moizeau
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 91 BX TZD Estate. Dead but loved
407 HDI 136 auto
C4 2l petrol coupé
2010 Dispatch III HDI 90
AND a 1980 Z1000ST
AND a 1983 GPz1100 inj
AND a 1995 Zephyr 1100
AND a 1980 Z650 (my moped)

Post by moizeau »

Here's another in Germany
Last edited by RichardW on 06 May 2019, 07:31, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link deleted as potentially a scam
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I wonder if that is something Pleiades could fabricate?
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Sid Tran

Post by Sid Tran »

Dear Gents / Messieurs,

I am overwhelmed. Thank you so much for the helpful advice and suggestions, and the links to suppliers.

I shall try and get a new part, I think - my faithful C8 deserves the best!

I am just double-checking with my car doctor before ordering...

With heartfelt gratitude.

Bless you all!

Sid
Sid Tran

Post by Sid Tran »

I've had my C8 since November 2003 and have loved it every since.

However, I haven't done much mileage - it has only just passed 41000 miles.

I guess that when the youngsters were little, we have just been using the car for short, local journeys and haven't had much opportunity to go for long drives.

Now that they are older, I was thinking about planning a small adventure, with a long (for me) trip, perhaps to France, but since the problem with this pipe, we have lost confidence.

Anyway, things that I like about the C8.

Electric sliding doors are fantastic - I haven't had any trouble with mine.

Engine - I have a 2.0litre automatic, petrol engine. I've read about unfortunate incidents with the diesel engines, but I've had no problems with my car at all. I've been lucky.

The seats - I love being able to take the individual seats out and to move them to whatever configuration we want.

This could be from taking everything out, so that we only have 2 seats - then I don't need to give anyone a lift home after a dinner party. Unkind, I know...

At the moment, with 3 kids I have one seat in the second row middle position, and 2 seats in the third row. Everyone has their own space and the legroom is fine, even with 2 teenagers in the third row.

Actually, when I mentioned to my youngest that we'd have to look for a new car, he said that he wasn't looking forward to that because all his friends' cars have the narrow rear middle seat that doubles as a folding armrest.

I like that the car has a flat floor as well - it's like sitting in an aeroplane.

I wish that they would have carried on making the C8. I was looking at the nearest current alternatives - models like Peugeot Traveller (2 of the rear seats are joined together), VW Sharan - from the brochure, it seems smaller - and no electric doors, I think - Mercedes MPV - not for us - face to face seating and joined seats.

My perfect car would be a long wheelbase version of C8, with a more powerful engine.

It's just so comfortable!

Hope this helps.
31mev wrote: 01 May 2019, 13:42 Hi Sid

Richards solution would in my opinion work up to a point. The silicon would be more than up to the job, remember the pressure in the water jacket is governed by the pressure cap (unless faulty) There might be variations in high flow areas but only a couple of pounds.
I think the reason for it being made of steel, is that if made of rubber the long runs might chafe against other components. Clearly steel holds its form and once secures in place will not move.
I would suggest that someone gets hold of the pipe and goes over it to ascertain where it is weak. It may only be in a couple of small areas. You have a couple of options then. 1.Weld them up if they are small or 2. Chop out a length of rotten pipe and replace with, you guessed it silicon hose. By retaining most of the steel, you retain the benefits of that material. You should only have to source straight silicon which comes in every size imaginable.
Having had your car so long you would be the man to ask about a C8. I need a people carrier. I had a Renault Espace for 17 years and got rid of it last year. Mistake. I need another carrier and was considering a c8. Are they generally reliable. In 160,000 miles my Espace let me down once for 5 minutes in a hypermarket in France, then mysteriously burst into life. C8's seem to be unfairly maligned by most people who only see german as the way forward. My children were raised in a couple of CX estates and then the Espace. I cannot bring myself to buy a Galaxy (jeerman) your advice please. Apologies for going off topic!
31mev
My Cars: 2x CX familials (Gone)
Renault Espace (Gone)
Range Rover Classic
Isuzu Trooper
Family citroens
C5
C4
C4GP

Post by 31mev »

Thanks for that Sid. Glad to see someone else who has a sentimental attachment for his cars like me.

I tend to keep cars until they are scrapped. When this happens I remove a number plate and stick it on the wall of my garage. My kids now do the same (on my wall) for their old cars ( Xantia and 2x uno's) They both drive Citroens now. Son has C5 Estate and daughter has c4 and c4GP.

Once you have had a people carrier it is hard to get away from them, they really do everything. They are holiday machines par excellence.

I had read a few user reviews about the c8 over the years and there were horror stories about kids hands and the sliding doors, but these were probably user error. I think I will take a look. I fancy an auto for towing my caravan. Strangely the c8 is the only (nearly) Citroen auto that has the same towing capacity as a manual. Hopefully this is the sign of a strong box. It will be good to get a Citroen again, although my Espace was really very good.

Thanks for taking the time Sid, appreciated