C5 2.0hdi dual climate control problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tomandsophie
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0hdi 2006

C5 2.0hdi dual climate control problem

Post by tomandsophie »

I have just bought a 2006 C5 which has the common problem with the air blowing cold on the driver's side and hot on the passenger side. I took the motors out on from behind the glovebox and found that they are both working fine (or at least they appear to be). I then turned the 'female' part of the cog that the motor spline fits into, and the upper one appears to change the flaps to control the direction of airflow (windscreen, body, or feet), while the lower one doesn't seem to do anything at all. So I'm guessing it's the lower one that controls how hot the air is. Am I right?
My main question is this: seeing as turning the cogs with a screwdriver doesn't seem to make any difference, am I right in thinking that the problem won't be sorted by fitting the updated motor with the elongated spline? Is spline even a word?!
All suggestions gratefully welcomed! Thanks.
triumphtoledo

Re: C5 2.0hdi dual climate control problem

Post by triumphtoledo »

on pre-facelift C5s, the issue tends to be the motors. Facelift C5s inherited the Peugeot 407's heater box, so the issue tends to be the flaps, as they snap. Parts are about £80ish. Remove steering column, dash, heater box, split, replace flaps. Job done. Takes between 1 and 2 days if doing on your drive.

R
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

tomandsophie wrote: 18 Apr 2019, 19:00 I have just bought a 2006 C5 which has the common problem with the air blowing cold on the driver's side and hot on the passenger side. I took the motors out on from behind the glovebox and found that they are both working fine (or at least they appear to be). I then turned the 'female' part of the cog that the motor spline fits into, and the upper one appears to change the flaps to control the direction of airflow (windscreen, body, or feet), while the lower one doesn't seem to do anything at all. So I'm guessing it's the lower one that controls how hot the air is. Am I right?
My main question is this: seeing as turning the cogs with a screwdriver doesn't seem to make any difference, am I right in thinking that the problem won't be sorted by fitting the updated motor with the elongated spline? Is spline even a word?!
All suggestions gratefully welcomed! Thanks.

On mark 2 C5s with dual climate control, the reduction motors are items 1 & 2 on the diagram.

One set operate the air distribution flaps and the others the air hot and cold mixing, so you need to do some tests to ascertain which ones are playing up. Try diverting all air to the driver and then passenger side, and see if the air flow distributes on all of the positions on each side as commanded. Then try and alter hot one side and cold the other and then vice verse to see which is not responding.

4A0392FF-04F6-42AC-81B4-8790D3B783B6.jpeg
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
tomandsophie

Post by tomandsophie »

Just a quick update. I fixed the problem, hooray! I watched a couple of youtube videos about how to cut a hole in the heater box behind the glovebox and fix the flaps. Lo and behold, the spline for the flaps was snapped in two, so I whipped it together using twine and epoxy, glued it all back together, and it worked! Hooray!
moizeau
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 91 BX TZD Estate. Dead but loved
407 HDI 136 auto
C4 2l petrol coupé
2010 Dispatch III HDI 90
AND a 1980 Z1000ST
AND a 1983 GPz1100 inj
AND a 1995 Zephyr 1100
AND a 1980 Z650 (my moped)

Post by moizeau »

I've watched those videos in anticipation of mine breaking. Was it as straight forward as they showed or was it more like the 'unscrew 3 nuts and remove' BOLs instructions?
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone
tomandsophie

Post by tomandsophie »

I watched these three:

...and it was quite an easy job really, about two to three hours in total. The hacksaw tip is definitely a good one (first video I think). I would recommend cutting a bigger hole than you think you're going to need. I ended up having to enlarge the hole twice, which made it a little more tricky to glue back together.
It all works as it should now, so fingers crossed it lasts...
Last edited by myglaren on 22 Apr 2019, 18:34, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: YouTube links
moizeau
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 91 BX TZD Estate. Dead but loved
407 HDI 136 auto
C4 2l petrol coupé
2010 Dispatch III HDI 90
AND a 1980 Z1000ST
AND a 1983 GPz1100 inj
AND a 1995 Zephyr 1100
AND a 1980 Z650 (my moped)

Post by moizeau »

Thanks, I hope I'll never need the advice........
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone
whinlands
New User
My Cars: C5 2001 hdi 2.2

Post by whinlands »

Here is the cheapest cure for worn socket in bottom flap ......
motor extension repair.jpg
Bit of wood and some patience... extended motor drive is very expensive...