Remember these.? All our yesterdays

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

doctle
My Cars: 2008 Laguna 1.5 DCi

Re: Remember these.? All our yesterdays

Post by doctle »

When I started smoking it was on Park Drive, unfiltered cigarettes. Then I moved on to Embassy you got tokens in the packet 2 points in a 10 pack and 5 points in a 20 pack. If you saved many thousands of these tokens you could eventually send off for a cruet set or a boomerang stuff like that. I stopped smoking years ago by then I had moved on to B&H but when I have a few ales I always want a fag. As an aside there were dib dabs in Lidl a few weeks ago I got some for the grandkids they said they were Yucky, more for me!
Oh buggle
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

The Silver Cigarette Vending Machine, on a wall, outdoors

Is this the only one left in the world?

(Well it was there in 2017 when the google cameras passed)

Deal in Kent 148 ish High Street to be precise gets its 5 miniute of fame on the FCF
screenshot
screenshot
It was there 7 years ago, when a kindred spirit chose to photograph it for geograph :-D

Old cigarette vending machine, Deal

© Copyright Julian Osley and
licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I had one of those on my shop wall Neil, it was a waste of space, sold very few cigarettes through it.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Gibbo2286 wrote: 14 Mar 2019, 08:54 I had one of those on my shop wall Neil, it was a waste of space, sold very few cigarettes through it.
I am surprised it has survived on the wall without someone shoving it into an auction, or just nicking it for the hell of it.

We had one in our village, quite handy for an anonymous purchase of a packet as a 10 year old! Senior Service as I recall....the blue ones without the filter tip.

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

and two chewing gum vending machines like this outside the post office. 90% sure there was a Wrigleys and a Beech-Nut machine next to each other.

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 14 Mar 2019, 08:28 The Silver Cigarette Vending Machine, on a wall, outdoors
Is this the only one left in the world?
(Well it was there in 2017 when the google cameras passed)
Deal in Kent 148 ish High Street to be precise gets its 5 miniute of fame on the FCF

....er no is the short answer, not even the only silver cigarette machine, on a wall, outside in the UK.

It may be just one of 2 though. If you are ever passing through Hooe and fancy "Breakfast Baguettes and Drinks" glance to your left and there is the rare sight of a silver cigarette machine still in situ. (not working of course seeing as all such things were rendered obsolete from 2011 when they were banned in England
screenshot
screenshot
To add to the excitement, whats the car for sale immediately in front, none other than a Nissan Micra K12 in Blade Silver....like my lastest "Bargain Basement" purchase!
REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Hope you see this Gibbo...

Remember these....ICI petrol, and specifically this firm from Brum, and its owner quite a car collector
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I never actually attended the museum but I knew of it and Patrick Motors was big in the Midlands, ICI fuel didn't last as long as you would expect from such a huge business.

I've c&p'd this from a site called petrolmaps.co.uk, a site that might interest you Neil.

ICI, Imperial

Britain

Imperial Chemical Industries (ICI) started selling petrol in North-Eastern England in the early 1960s under the Imperial brand. By the end of the decade it had switched to the better known ICI name and the chain grew steadily to a peak of 475 stations in the mid-1980s. However, despite owning a Teesside refinery, petrol was not a core product so the chain was sold to Burmah in 1987. Imperial remains in use as a brand by Whitby-based W Eves & Son, a small former authorised distributor (jobber) for ICI, although by 2015 its stations were being slowly switched to Gulf.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Thanks Gibbo Interesting stuff. Maybe Steve will be familiar with the Whitby connection. Plenty of ICI petrol stations in the 1970's in Co. Durham.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Yes, my dad worked for Eves' although at the shipyard. Bought the first Morris 1100 through them?

Garage/petrol stations still operating - two of them now but the shipyard was bought by the infamous Keith Schellenberg and turned into a nightclub.
They were Esso purveyors and my dad wouldn't use it, claimed it was crap petrol. Looks like they are Imperial now.

Eves Guisborough Road
New Quay Road - oops, it's a specsavers now :(
Haven't been there for years though.
NewcastleFalcon

As mentioned in other threads Vauxpedia is a tremendous resource for information and original brochures.

I came across this which I found interesting a quite interesting list of prices and features of "competiors to the Vauxhall Viva HA. Of course the Viva HA outclassed the competition...or so they portrayed....
http://vauxpedianet.uk2sitebuilder.com/ ... road-tests
Give it a couple of clicks it gets bigger :-D
screenshot
screenshot
REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The only new car I nearly bought was a Vauxhall FC estate, first one with curved windows giving more shoulder room. Ambla seat material, whatever that was, looked and felt nice though. I seem to remember it was about 600 pounds all in I seem to remember.

Peter
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

Ambla was, I suppose, synthetic leather, not as "plastic" & much softer than vinyl, because it wasn't just a sheet but had a woven base.

Wait a minute - wasn't the FC the "101"?
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
NewcastleFalcon

van ordinaire wrote: 08 Apr 2019, 01:03 Ambla was, I suppose, synthetic leather, not as "plastic" & much softer than vinyl, because it wasn't just a sheet but had a woven base.

Wait a minute - wasn't the FC the "101"?

Yes, the FC manifested itself in the 101 and the VX 4/90. Ambla was obviously upmarket from Vynide It was fitted to the higher spec models with the base model getting Vynide
screenshot
screenshot
screenshot
screenshot
regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

My word you are taking me back a long time. It was a 101, dark green I think it was I don't remember if it had separate seats but if the Ambla was only on that one that must have been what it was. I don't remember if it was column or floor change either but with separate seats it was probably floor change.

It was in a big garage just at the top of Masons Hill in Bromley, I think I went and had several looks at it but was having a hard fight to justify it, don't really know if I could afford it, probably not.

So I never have had a new car.

Peter