China's Car Companies-What do you know?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: China's Car Companies-What do you know?

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Geely have ambitious plans for their London Taxi wing

London’s black taxi occupies pride of place in Geely’s electric dream

London’s iconic black taxi, rescued from bankruptcy five years ago by China’s largest privately-owned carmaker, now occupies pride of place within the stable of its parent Zhejiang Geely Holding Group, in its three-decade journey from fridge maker to a leader in electric vehicles.

Assembled in a newly built factory five miles from its birthplace in Coventry in the British Midlands, the black cab now rolls off a refurbished plant that churns out 10 times more vehicles than before their takeover.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

With talk of "Trade Wars", Trade Deals and the like, who is going to be in the best position to win?

As far as electric vehicles go this is China's take according to the South China Morning Post today.

‘Made in China 2025’: world’s biggest auto market wants to be most powerful maker of electric cars

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 17:57 Made in China by SAIC, spotted on the roads of Northumberland on April 1st 2018...no kidding.

MG GS 01 China 2015-04-08 [CC BY-SA 4.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], by Navigator84 (Own work), from Wikimedia Commons

Regards Neil
Well another MG has made its way from SAIC's Chinese Factory, and shipped over 11,000 nautical miles taking around 50 days to the UK. It has made its way now to one of our local hotels in far flung Northumberland.
Couple of questions

So 100 points go to anyone who can work out what % tariff the UK charge on Chinese Automobiles sold in the UK?

This will not help its as clear as mud and ridiculously detailed EU Tariffs

and a further 100 points for working out what % tariff China charges on UK Automobiles sold in China.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

It looks like 10% Neil but 10% of what? The manufacturing cost or the retail selling price or some other invented value? #-o
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Gibbo2286 wrote: 01 Mar 2019, 10:00 It looks like 10% Neil but 10% of what? The manufacturing cost or the retail selling price or some other invented value? #-o

Thats probably as close as anyone is going to get to a right answer Gibbo. :-D There are a number of categories but that seems to be the case for most of them.

On the other hand, China used to require a 50/50 partnership with a Chinese (state-owned) Automaker for the UK or any other manufacturer to sell cars in China. Not sure if direct sales were just ruled out completely or faced prohibitive tariffs.

I often feel that the shipping companies mustn’t be charging enough to allow this sort of intuitively ridiculous model of world trade to function. Underpinning it of course are cheaper manufacturing costs in the far east.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

DEcent updating piece from the BBC on whats going on in China on ther electric vehicle front.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46745472
Shenzhen's fleet of 16,000 buses is now 100% electric and its fleet of taxis is almost completely electric too.
Shenzhen according to wiki has a population of 12.53 Million (2017). Bigger than London, Birmingham,Glasgow,Leeds and Bristol added together. The UK may have some catching up to do in the World Leader in electric vehicle development stakes!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Who knew Tesla's Model 3 has a chinese "brain"....
Tesla urges tariff exemption for Chinese-made computer car ‘brain’

"The Chinese-made computer, used by Tesla in the car assembled in Fremont, California, was among US$16 billion in imports that were hit with 25 per cent tariffs by the United States Trade Representative’s Office in 2018.

In a redacted request posted on a government website by the USTR on December 17, Tesla did not identify the supplier of the computer. But it said it had been unable to find another manufacturer “with the required specifications, at the volume requested and under the timelines necessary for Tesla’s continued growth”.

Tesla have also moved into China with "ground broken" on their "Gigafactory 3"

Tesla to produce cheaper versions of Model 3 electric cars in Shanghai, taking the competition to would-be ‘Tesla killers’
REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

a few stories from Bloomberg
yes but Tesla aren't a Chinese car company.....they are now!
Telsa Plant Key to Musk's future ambitions takes shape in China

Anyone believe that the US is the world leader in electric vehicles or sleeping while China dominates?

The U.S. Has a Battery Problem in the Race for Electric Car Supremacy

And how is Warren Buffett's investment in the worlds biggest electric vehicle maker doing? (yes BYD)
Very nicely thank you.

The World's biggest electric vehicle maker looks nothing like TESLA
..and in UK News if you manage to get through the articles above you will rapidly come to the conclusion that this statement was perhaps a touch inaccurate.

"We are leading the world in the development of electric vehicles" (T.May PMQ's Wednesday November 1st 2017)"

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Seen today at Dobbies Garden Centre......Newcastle has an MG dealer again 11,000 nautical miles/ shipping costs/10% tariff/unspecified dose of state-aid/ "from £9,495" (what was the phrase that used to be used.....ex-works!) 0% finance and all that palaver.

SAIC proudly displayed in small print on the window. Can't imagine many of the Dobbies shoppers would realise that the car was one of China's finest :-D
nf own work
nf own work
nf own work
nf own work
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

They seem to be using that display method a lot, we had the same display in the shopping mall in central Gloucester.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

SAIC's MG Motor UK are on a mission...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=57477&start=30#p608555

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey