On your Bike

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

On your Bike

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

A thread to mop up your two-wheeled activity inspired by Citro Jim's fine example., pictures, rides, purchases, renovations, anything goes. Anyone got a french bicycle for starters, just to keep things marginally connected to the French element of the FCF? Must be someone with a Peugeot!

In How many miles have you done this month, I have committed to doing an achievable target raising my cycling activity from zero miles to 5 miles in February.

I will have to dig my bike out though! Is your bike in a similarly unloved "never used for ages" state as mine?

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 06 Feb 2019, 21:15, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Re: On your Bike

Post by bobins »

I managed to cycle more miles last weekend than I did in the whole of 2018 :) I borrowed a very low mileage electric bike from work and went out on both Saturday and Sunday for a small cycle ride. I like the bike a lot, but I don't actually think it's going to do much to reduce my waistline :lol: After a few more goes on it I might progress back to my old mountain bike.... but then again :^o
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

My last activity on a bike was also on an Electric bike.....thanks to my random postings on the FCF I know exactly when...August 2nd 2017!

Here's my original post in a spoiler...saves cluttering up the new thread!
Spoiler: show
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 02 Aug 2017, 19:05 Todays post is in the Electric Bikes part of the thread.

Always fancied giving one a try, and it couldn't have been simpler and was the best £5 I have spent for ages. :-D

For £5, I got the use of one of these for an hour, and in that hour, I cycled all round Derwent Reservoir on a mixture of quiet roads and cycle paths I guess around 10-12 miles. It was one of those days as well where the reservoir was more like the Bay of Biscay, and the cold driving drizzle, soaked me to the skin. But it was just a brilliant way to spend an hour..bracing but energising.

The cycle itself was simplicity. 8 gears on a twist selection with your right hand, and on the left hand the electric assistance which you could set at zero, eco, tour, sport, or turbo. On the way back round into the wind flicked it up to turbo....why not!....nice feeeling and no need to push yourself unnecessarily. Probably over 12 months since I last sat on a bike..it was a decent workout without the puffing and panting.

I did make an electric bike schoolboy error though. Had it in top gear (8th) gradually slowing up climbing a hill, flicked the electric to turbo, but nothing much happened. Yes it was as hard for the electric motor as me to generate the necessary power when all momentum had been lost and you are trying to pull up a steep hill in top gear.

Flicked it down a few gears and whoosh we are away again, and the electric motor is doing the job i expected of it again.

£5 for an hour.....absolutely brilliant value....well done North Pennines Electric Bike Hire

Regards Neil
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

The one I've borrowed is an A2B Obree. Nice enough to use, but it's flat out at about 20mph as it only has 9(!) gears so your legs are whizzing 'round at 20mph :-D Allegedly a 60 mile range at its lowest setting. One fine day I might have to see about using more than just a few miles of the range up :lol:
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

I intend to get back on my push bike this weekend! I've got a Voodoo Limba CX bike, it's decent for road and off-road.
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Post by EDC5 »

I once had a purple Peugeot BMX as a child.... until it was run over by a 5 ton tractor :o :?

Something like this:

bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

EDC5 wrote: 06 Feb 2019, 22:20 I once had a purple Peugeot BMX as a child.... until it was run over by a 5 ton tractor :o :?

In one of my sheds I've got a Grifter* :-D Just needs a clean and new brake cables and it's fit for use.... but not by me I hasten to add :lol:

*- at least I think it's a Grifter :?
NewcastleFalcon

bobins wrote: 06 Feb 2019, 22:28
EDC5 wrote: 06 Feb 2019, 22:20 I once had a purple Peugeot BMX as a child.... until it was run over by a 5 ton tractor :o :?

In one of my sheds I've got a Grifter* :-D Just needs a clean and new brake cables and it's fit for use.... but not by me I hasten to add :lol:

*- at least I think it's a Grifter :?

Is it a Black and Gold Limited Edition MKII?
ACA auction results
ACA auction results
REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

I'll have to go and have a look, but as it's 5 miles away... that won't be tonight :-D
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

The forks on a Grifter were bizarrely insubstantial compared to the rest of the bike. I had a BMX but two of my friends had Grifters. They both had the forks bent back from heavy landings! Raleigh hadn't quite got the concept right until they brought out the Raleigh Burner.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Great to see this thread :D
bobins wrote: 06 Feb 2019, 20:55 I managed to cycle more miles last weekend than I did in the whole of 2018 :) I borrowed a very low mileage electric bike from work and went out on both Saturday and Sunday for a small cycle ride. I like the bike a lot, but I don't actually think it's going to do much to reduce my waistline :lol: After a few more goes on it I might progress back to my old mountain bike.... but then again :^o:
Excellent! E-Bikes are opening up cycling to many who thought it was beyond them and I'm all for that :D

You can get good exercise if you pedal it more than you use the electric assistance ;) Especially if you go and find some decent hills!

And if it gets you back on your old mountain bike than that's just magic :D

Electric assistance speed should be limited to 15mph... If you get 20mph out of it you'll have been pedalling very well ;)

Here's my rides from yesterday...
Strava/Own Work
Strava/Own Work
Strava/Own Work
Strava/Own Work
More to come today... Currently, weather permitting I'm nearly doing 1,000 miles a month :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Last weekend... snow on the Beach at Millport on Cumbrae
beach.jpg
photo bombed by my bike (and Son's cycling helmet!)

Later in the day, sunset over Arran
arran.jpg
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

RichardW wrote: 07 Feb 2019, 07:47 Last weekend... snow on the Beach at Millport on Cumbrae

Great pictures Richard :D

I've seen you've been cycling a bit on Strava! Excellent :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Michel wrote: 06 Feb 2019, 22:11 I intend to get back on my push bike this weekend! I've got a Voodoo Limba CX bike, it's decent for road and off-road.

Mike, come up here one fine day and we can ride round the more scenic parts of MK :)

Or you can come out on a BCG club ride with me and sample a nice cafe for coffee and cake ;)
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: 07 Feb 2019, 06:18 Here's my rides from yesterday...

Ride 2?
temp5.png
REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey