Remember these.? All our yesterdays

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: Remember these.? All our yesterdays

Post by Gibbo2286 »

CitroJim wrote: 31 Jan 2019, 15:02 I just love all of this and how one thing leads onto another in the most random and tenuous ways...

Magical 👍💛😄

That sungreen site that I borrowed the Ruardean story from is set up and run by an old gentleman from the village I live in, if you go to his home page you will find lots more links to interesting (for some) Forest stuff.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 01 Feb 2019, 10:22
CitroJim wrote: 31 Jan 2019, 15:02 I just love all of this and how one thing leads onto another in the most random and tenuous ways...

Magical 👍💛😄

That sungreen site that I borrowed the Ruardean story from is set up and run by an old gentleman from the village I live in, if you go to his home page you will find lots more links to interesting (for some) Forest stuff.

I must go and look... Sounds like my kind of site :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Can you remember the days before self-service when you used to drive your car into a petrol station, and you would run the wheels over a rubber hose lying across the forecourt entrance (s), and there would be a ding on a bell which would summon the petrol attendant to meet you and greet you fill you up dispense a couple of shots of redex if required and maybe even check your oil, and water?

Oldclassiccar.com has probably the only images on the internet of "Peters' Servisignal" and as ever a nice bit of detail on the said item!

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/servisignal.htm

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Trafficounters used (and still do) the same hose system for laying across roads to count the axles passing over them. The outboard end of the hose had a stopper with a small hole in it (over-pressure escape/balancing), and at the box end was a simple (and adjustable) diaphragm pressure switch, which clicked and operated a counter each time something went over the hose.

As an understudy traffic engineer in 1966-7, for London Borough of Ealing, I went out and helped install lots of these. One thing was necessary, though: to have a live vehicle-count check for about an hour, so that the total recorded by the Trafficounter (which also had a clock, and recorded its totals on a paper roll) could be corrected.

Doing this at 2am one night on Popes Lane, South Ealing, I was sat there waiting for the traffic to pass, and record its type, and number of axles. There was no traffic! Just before 3am in the deathly silence, there was a clip-clop, clip-clop approaching . . . a rag-and-bone man on his cart! Crouching down, I made a note of its progress: two axles only, with the horse neatly stepping over the outstretched hose. Job done, went home to bed.
Chris
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Remember them well.
The garage my dad was associated with had an either/or option.
The firm I worked for had their cars and vans garaged there overnight and as I passed by on my way to work I usually took one out to take to work. Always filled up myself but was known to them on two counts.
The other garages in town and around the countryside were all attendant service only for many years.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 02 Feb 2019, 09:50 Can you remember the days before self-service when you used to drive your car into a petrol station, and you would run the wheels over a rubber hose lying across the forecourt entrance (s), and there would be a ding on a bell which would summon the petrol attendant to meet you and greet you fill you up dispense a couple of shots of redex if required and maybe even check your oil, and water?

Oldclassiccar.com has probably the only images on the internet of "Peters' Servisignal" and as ever a nice bit of detail on the said item!

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/servisignal.htm

REgards Neil

I had one on my forecourt right up until I sold the business in 1988..........life was ruled by bells in those days, the telephone, shop door bell and forecourt bell (all somehow linked to the lavvy seat) :) problem with the peters bell was the hose getting punctured, bell didn't ring and customers got irate.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 02 Feb 2019, 11:31life was ruled by bells in those days, the telephone, shop door bell and forecourt bell

Bells sound a lot lovelier and are a lot less stressful than the multitude of electronic bleeps, squawks, shrills and wails we suffer these days :evil:

I really lament the passing of bells and even the old traditional two-tone horns of the emergency services...

I love visiting a timewarp tearoom that has a proper bell on the door :D Open the door - ding-a-ling ling - magical :-D

I live with bells anyway - always have - courtesy of my clock collection...
Gibbo2286 wrote: 02 Feb 2019, 11:31 all somehow linked to the lavvy seat :)
:rofl2: As ever was and will always be...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

A good selection of old-type Shop Door Bells on Amazon :monkey:
Chris
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Most of the shops in our town used mechanical ones.

Peter
NewcastleFalcon

Here's a bench seat that should be familiar to Gibbo/Peter......up for auction on Saturday at Matthewsons

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

Peter.N. wrote: 03 Feb 2019, 10:59 Most of the shops in our town used mechanical ones.

Peter

Really?

Surely all shop doors (other than automatic/revolving ones) are open whenever the shop is! :roll:
As for forecourt attendants (Shell reintroduced them a couple of years ago, remember - except they didn't do anything useful; didn't last long) it was my 1st p/t job while at school: drivers of cars with locking filler caps seldom gave you the key when they told you wha t they wanted. #-o
If they said "fill 'er up" you'd have the time it took to walk from the filler to the driver's door to work out, e.g.,how much 11 7/10 gallons @ 5/1 1/2d was, it was only afterwards they'd ask you to check the oil - but then you'd have to calculate, & add on, the cost of, say, 3/4 pt of XL (or whatever), while you were replacing the filler cap& closing the bonnet. Of course, you could always ask if they wanted the tyres checked, which might buy you a little extra time for calculations - & earn you 6d, if you were lucky. :)
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
NewcastleFalcon

Excellent post Van! Never thought about the mental arithmetic side of dispensing fuel in old money.

Cant remember the price of petrol when we first had a family car in the early 60's., or when I first started driving in the 1970's.

ESSO used to have Esso Plus, Esso, and Esso Extra, Shell had Shell-Mex Shell and Super Shell with its nice pale blue Globe as far as I can recall.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 06 Feb 2019, 09:33 Cant remember the price of petrol when we first had a family car in the early 60's., or when I first started driving in the 1970's.
REgards Neil

According to the AA.....here are the average fuel prices/gallon from 1886 to the present day should anyone wish to look up their own fuel price significant milestones :-D

https://www.theaa.com/public_affairs/re ... allons.pdf

So, first family car 1964 ish (Ford Anglia 100E) it was around 60d per gallon (5/- , 25 new pence!)
1978 My first car (Austin Mini 1000) it was around 76.5 new pence per gallon.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

6d wasn't bad in those days, probably buy you a cup of tea and a sandwich. :wink: I started work in London in 1954 for the princely sum of three pounds a week and had to pay my train fair every day. On the odd Saturday morning I worked if I ran to Cannon street station I could catch a steam train, first stop Orpington and then an electric one back to Petts wood.

I used to travel to school, two stations to Chelsfield for the exorbitant fare of 4d, what could you buy now for the cost of travelling two stations on BR.

The garage we used in Orpington had a rack of bottles of oil on the forecourt which they refilled, Castrolite, XL and XXL and don't forget the Redex dispenser 1d a shot.

Peter
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

When I first stated selling petrol (1950) it was all 'Pool' only one grade, a very low grade, there were four pumps at the garage and they had the company globe for Shell, BP, National Benzole, etc. the price was 1/11d a gallon.

The government added 4d a gallon tax later in that year and the word around said it would mean the end of motoring for the UK.

When I bought my own business in 1965 I was selling petrol four gallons for a £1.00 and throwing in a pair of ladies tights for buyers of four gallons as an incentive.

Our margin was just 2d a gallon.