Hi I'm Burnie new to the group

This section is for General Enquiries or for Systems not Covered Above

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

Burnie
My Cars: Citroen Relay Van 2012

Re: Hi I'm Burnie new to the group

Post by Burnie »

Unbelievable... I have never come across anyone more helpful .. Thank you!! I m just about to venture out so will report back..
Burnie

Post by Burnie »

Ok here's for the update.... and don't laugh... I made my radio removal tool from the last wire coat hanger I found in the house. It worked well with a bit of jiggling. I checked the 10A fuse on the back, which was fine... BUT ... I noticed there are two new red wires that have been connected to the wiring harness on the plug at the back of the radio. That's odd I thought.. someone has been at this before which would explain me having problems. I traced the red wires back down behind the dash then under the floor all the way back to the leisure battery connection which is located at the rear of the van.... and you guessed it...no leisure battery connected. I have been disconnecting the leisure battery as I'm doing the electrics in the back of the van. I connected the leisure battery to it and hey presto the radio works. I guess the previous owner wanted the radio to run from the leisure battery and not the vehicle battery as you need the keys in to do that. and you have the possibility of running the starting battery down. I hadn't considered this was the problem but the day it did work was probably the day I had connected the leisure battery back up.. The van has been a campervan before but the previous owner has ripped everything out of it including electrics which is why I took the battery off to save any electrical problems. I'm hoping the pictures have attached so you can see my project. Anyway the radio is fixed and I'm feeling like a bit of a tit. I just didnt occur to me it would have been rewired. Thank you very much for all your help with this and I will continue to post as I'm sure I will be needing more advice. You are a star and if ever in Newcastle I'm going to buy you a pint..
Attachments
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Just as long as it's not that Newc'y Brown stuff, that sounds a good offer. :beer:
Glad you got to the bottom (or back, in this case) of it all.

Have just fitted a new radio to the car here. Radio itself doesn't allow operation with the IGN off (which the original mid-'90s Philips did), so have added a simple changeover switch to the centre console to power it up with IGN off, or to operate as normal via the key.
Chris
Burnie

Post by Burnie »

That's a good idea. I see you are down in Spain Chris. Hope its warmer than here, a blistering 2 degrees today..
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Andalucia, 5km from the coast. 9°C at the moment, with a wind of 30-40km/h, so not so nice. The wind has been blowing for a week, much the same as the UK's icy spell. Ten days ago, daytime temp was 19-21°C, more typical for January here.
Log-burner doing its stuff; don't tell Gove.
Chris