Reversing lights upgrade?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jbbu
My Cars: 2008 C5 (X7) Tourer VTR+ 2.0 HDi

Re: Reversing lights upgrade?

Post by jbbu »

Lenny wrote: 18 Dec 2018, 20:46 I'm toying with the idea of putting a separate bright but compact light under the bumper down near the towbar and feed it from the towbar wiring.
I use a small halogen lamp on the 2cv and it works a treat.

Technically illegal -- the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations specify no more than 2 reversing lamps are permitted. The other kind of white light you can have at the rear is a work lamp used "to illuminate a working area or the scene of an accident, breakdown or roadworks in the vicinity of the vehicle to which it is fitted."

There are also registration plate lamps, but these are prohibited from directly emitting any light to the rear of the vehicle according to the required type-approval spec.
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

Now THAT probably is the answer to reversing lights to illuminate the way behind,as opposed to warning others that you are reversing. Presumably that's why so many rally cars had a foglamp mounted at the rear (in fact there was a time when it seemed to be the principal application of the Lucas WFT576). Unfortunately, modern cars do not lend themselves to such additions, although some towbar installations might help. I had a rectangular fog mounted on the bar of my Niva & always intended to do something similar with the Cherokees. Tapping into the trailer a socket is a good way to pick up a feed, as multipin connectors make breaking into a loom much more difficult but a twist which minimises cable runs is to use a changeover relay in the rear fog circuit, with the supplemetary reversing light connected to the other terminal & the trigger terminal connected into the reversing light circuit. Then, having selected reverse, the rear fog switch activates the supplementary reversing light, instead of the rear fogs.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Just don't use that arrangement in fog, on a public road.
Think about it... :shock:
Chris
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Pop one of these on the back shelf. :)

https://www.screwfix.com/p/diall-led-re ... -5v/8719v
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

white exec wrote: 19 Dec 2018, 20:19 Just don't use that arrangement in fog, on a public road.
Think about it... :shock:

Fair comment (although this set-up was devised for, e.g. reversing into fields) BUT should you be reversing on a public road in the fog?
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

I had the same issue on my now sold C5 Tourer. Long unlit shared drive to back down. The bulbs were same as in our C3, the light output far less.

In a triumph of styling over engineering, Citroen went for a 'mock LED' look and there is a sort of egg-box style grid betwixt lamp and lens. All made worse by tinted rear windows. I wondered if I could open up the light unit and remove some of the plastic but it didn't look very sensible and I never got round to it. Sometimes reversed with the hazards and/or big red foglight on (its off the public road), also blopped some white paint on the gateposts at the right height. The standard design is pretty hopeless. I doubt a better bulb would help that much.

The C4 Picasso that replaced it is much better going backwards, its just the headlights that are rubbish .... stylists win again with among other things a grey tint on the lenses.
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
WillyR
Donor 2023
My Cars: Peugeot 504 2.0 diesel 1984 (built in South Africa)
Peugeot 505 GTI 1986 (built in South Africa, and brought to Britain 1988)
Citroen XM V6 (UK)
Citroen Xantia 2.0 HDi 1999 (excellent car but it ate suspension spheres)
Citroen C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Auto 2001
Citroen Grand Picasso II 150 HDi EAT6 Exclusive 2015 January - engine rattled until replaced. Gave it back at 1600 miles.
Citroen Grand Picasso II 150 HDi EAT6 Exclusive 2015 July - still going strong

Post by WillyR »

Evening all.
My 2015 Grand C4 Picasso 2.0 Bluehdi 150 EAT6 suffers like all the rest of the new Picassos with LED reversing lights do... Absolute rubbish illumination, made worse by the electrochrome rearview mirror reducing reflection and the ultra-poor quality reversing camera in low-light. Having read through everything in this string of posts, am I condemned to rubbish revering lights until I replace the car, or does a better LED or other arrangement exist? I have not seen any identification in the foregoing posts of a better LED. All revelations will be gratefully received and acted on.

Similarly, the front Fogs are a complete waste of time when cornering at low speed. The last iterations of the C5 had a discrete cornering light which was fabulous. Why it wasn't carried forward into replacement vehicles (I know, I know, the Picasso isn't a replacement for the C5), I don't know.
2015 (Jul) C4 Grand Picasso 2.0 Bluehdi 150 EAT6 Exclusive+ now running on 17" wheels - SO MUCH MORE COMFORTABLE AND SMOOTH THAN 18" - AND better fuel economy :) =D>
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I think you'll find that they aren't actual LED bulbs. My data shows standard filament lamps - it's just an LED look type of lens - like the C5 X7 has - they look really nice but aren't LED powered.

The only thing I can advise is I also changed my reversing lights on the X7 due to the piddly light output - although the electrochrome mirror lightens automatically when reverse is selected, I also have a factory fitted rear blind which I leave up all the time - so this prevents me seeing much at all. I did replace mine regardless with some LEDs. Here you can maybe see the difference between the original H21Ws filament at the top and an LED upgrade at the bottom.

These are crisper and brighter, and do throw a little more light out - but don't expect miracles! :-D
Reversing-Lights.png
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Cutac
My Cars: 2011 B7 Citroen C4 1.4 VTi
2006 Citroen C4 2.0 VTS

Post by Cutac »

I've got a pair of eBay LEDs with a projector/lens, and they work really well.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Canbus-No-Erro ... 5917e6f4f4
WillyR
Donor 2023
Citroen XM V6 (UK)
Citroen Grand Picasso II 150 HDi EAT6 Exclusive 2015 January - engine rattled until replaced. Gave it back at 1600 miles.

Post by WillyR »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 04 Feb 2019, 19:11 I think you'll find that they aren't actual LED bulbs. My data shows standard filament lamps - it's just an LED look type of lens - like the C5 X7 has - they look really nice but aren't LED powered.

The only thing I can advise is I also changed my reversing lights on the X7 due to the piddly light output - although the electrochrome mirror lightens automatically when reverse is selected, I also have a factory fitted rear blind which I leave up all the time - so this prevents me seeing much at all. I did replace mine regardless with some LEDs. Here you can maybe see the difference between the original H21Ws filament at the top and an LED upgrade at the bottom.

These are crisper and brighter, and do throw a little more light out - but don't expect miracles! :-D

Reversing-Lights.png

Thanks Marc
The Reversing and Brake light "bulbs" in my car (Exclusive+ Model) are both definitely LEDs, with no type number listed in the handbook. The only advice is that they should only be replaced / repaired by a Citroen dealer.
2015 (Jul) C4 Grand Picasso 2.0 Bluehdi 150 EAT6 Exclusive+ now running on 17" wheels - SO MUCH MORE COMFORTABLE AND SMOOTH THAN 18" - AND better fuel economy :) =D>
WillyR
Donor 2023
Citroen XM V6 (UK)

Post by WillyR »

Cutac wrote: 04 Feb 2019, 20:34 I've got a pair of eBay LEDs with a projector/lens, and they work really well.

Thanks
Before I buy any replacements, I need to know exactly what fitting the LEDs in my Reverse lamps are. Your LEDs look quite good, but I'm a bit puzzled that the Projector Lens doesn't gather the light from the last layer of LEDs closest to the bayonet.

Does anyone know the correct designation of the LEDs in the New Picasso (late 2014 onwards) Reverse Lights? The handbook doesn't list any type number and instructs that only a Citroen dealer can change / repair them. This would be a rather fruitless exercise as they would onlt be replaced by the dealer with the same unit - a waste of time and money.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

What's your VIN - I can check these out

I think you'll find the reversing bulbs are a W16W bulb and these are shown as filament bulbs....

Only the rear brake and sidelight bulbs are LEDs... the indicator and reversing are standard filament bulbs...

So you may be able to find an LED equivalent of the W16W.
C4 Lights.PNG

Marc
Cutac
My Cars: 2011 B7 Citroen C4 1.4 VTi
2006 Citroen C4 2.0 VTS

Post by Cutac »

WillyR wrote: 05 Feb 2019, 10:18
Cutac wrote: 04 Feb 2019, 20:34 I've got a pair of eBay LEDs with a projector/lens, and they work really well.

but I'm a bit puzzled that the Projector Lens doesn't gather the light from the last layer of LEDs closest to the bayonet.

They're there since there's a reflector in the lamp assembly.
Imagine it like a standard bulb + a projector.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That 'projector' is simply a plastic lens that covers another LED inside at the bottom and magnifies that light outward - it does nothing for the LEDs mounted around the bulb itself.

Example:
LED.PNG

Marc
WillyR
Donor 2023
Citroen XM V6 (UK)

Post by WillyR »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 05 Feb 2019, 10:51 What's your VIN - I can check these out

I think you'll find the reversing bulbs are a W16W bulb and these are shown as filament bulbs....

Only the rear brake and sidelight bulbs are LEDs... the indicator and reversing are standard filament bulbs...

So you may be able to find an LED equivalent of the W16W.

C4 Lights.PNG

VIN - VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Oh, how I wish you were right, but you have displayed the wrong model in this instance. I have the Executive+ which has all-LED (except the indicators) at the rear.

I went outside and "The Boss" switched the various lights ON/OFF, and I can confirm that all but the Indicators at the rear are LEDs.

I will hopefully attach a photo of my handbook (page 278) showing my rear lights (center set, labelled MODEL WITH LED LIGHTS). My firsat attempt destroyed the post and it vanished, never to be seen again.
C4 Grand Picasso (2015) Executive plus Tail lights.jpg
Ahhh, there's nothing like getting it right... eventually.