Sticking Turbo C5 x7 ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

petef
My Cars: DS DS5, C4 Coupe, DS23 Pallas, Xantia Activa

Sticking Turbo C5 x7 ?

Post by petef »

I now have another problem with my C5 Tourer - 2litre HDI 138 with DW10BTED4 engine and AM6 auto. When pushing on and accelerating hard, there is the dreaded 'boing' and the 'Engine Management Fault' light comes up. There is from then on some loss of power which is not returned until stopping, switching off and restarting; clearly the engine has gone into 'limp home mode'. The engine management light stays on however after restarting. This has happened in the past several times and I have dosed the fuel tank with Forte Diesel Turbo Cleaner which seems to have worked.
for a while
Attaching the Lexia shows two relevant faults : P11AA related to the turbo pressure being greater than permitted. And P0100 related to excessive air flow. This second fault is indicated as permanent but does clear on the Lexia.
Question is: are these faults symptomatic of a sticking turbo and can much be done without dismantling? Possibly the DPF is starting to clog up? The car has just turned 80.000 miles and these days is not used very much. with the car being an automatic and me being a grandad it does not often get driven in 'Italian' mode unless the red mist descends.

I had a similar fault with my previous C5 Estate - an 06 facelift model with near identical engine and autobox. That was only cured with a new turbo and cost a lot to fix. Perhaps another dose of Forte and a 100 mile thrash is called for???
turbo 1 fault.jpg
turbo 2 fault.jpg
turbo 3 fault.jpg
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Re: Sticking Turbo C5 x7 ?

Post by Paul-R »

How many miles has the car done?

EDIT

Sorry have just seen it's 80,000 so unlikely the need a new FAP. It is possible that the Eolys needs topping up/replacing though.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Have you a split pipe after the air flow meter that is allowing more air in than is being measured by the air flow sensor .
I am having issues with my X7 2008 1.6 so just thinking along the lines i have been down.
Think there is another sensor post air flow meter that confirms what has been measured by air flow sensor is what has been received so as a permanent fault it is always present ?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Paul-R wrote: 05 Dec 2018, 17:58 How many miles has the car done?

EDIT

Sorry have just seen it's 80,000 so unlikely the need a new FAP. It is possible that the Eolys needs topping up/replacing though.
I believe there is a specific warning for that Paul.

According to the fault code the Mass Airflow Meter would seem to be at fault. If that is not providing the correct readings to the ECU then it will cause the file air mixture to be wrong.

Ignore the glow plug fault, but I would give the MAF a careful clean with some MAF cleaner first, as that is the cheapest option to try first.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc