DS3 Blowing only on number 5

This is the Forum for all your DS Automobiles Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Shabbaranks
My Cars: Mazda - but fiddle with a Citroen now and again

DS3 Blowing only on number 5

Post by Shabbaranks »

Hi guys,

First question - and excuse my ignorance, isn't a DS classed as a Citroen? I just notice there is a Citroen section and a DS Automobiles section - is this because although its a Citroen they are quite different?

And my main question :)

Im trying to find the location of the heater resistor in a 2015 DS3. I took the glove box out and had a look towards the lower trim but I couldn't see it - is it this side or the drivers side? Im convinced after doing some Googling that its a failed resistor causing the blower only to work on number 5 and nothing else?

Cheers
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Re: DS3 Blowing only on number 5

Post by Paul-R »

Hi and welcome. Some others will come along and answer properly but a little information first.

Yes DS is a Citroen and then it's not. Confused? Well originally the DS line was carried by Citroen as a slightly premium version of the regular Citroen line of vehicles. It wasn't an exact match - the DS5 was based on the C4 (Picasso?) not the C5 - but that was the idea. Later on PSA spun the DS line off into a Marque and now has its own dealer network.

The heaters don't have a resistor as such, it's a control unit which is given instructions based on the selection you make. On my C5 it's down in the passenger footwell on the side of the heater assembly but your car may be different.

Have a read of this thread for a similar problem. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=61293 I'm just off outside to my C5 which has recently stopped blowing!
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Shabbaranks

Post by Shabbaranks »

Hi Paul - thanks for the reply (and clearing up my confusion :))
I think this is where the problem is, it seems all the Citroens have the resistors in different locations. I went to a Citroen main dealer who looked up the part number 6441CT and printed off the parts diagram (just trying to find it on Google) and he said based on that image it was on the drivers side....
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

Did he show you the image? Quite often the images shown are for LHD cars.

BTW, My heater blower now works again in the C5 following the trick I detailed in the link
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Shabbaranks

Post by Shabbaranks »

Yeah he gave me the print out, I did have a look last night but it was dark so I plan to give it another go tomorrow in the day.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Here's the pic
ds3 heater.JPG
Note that these drawings are usually made from the perspective of looking from the engine bay. There's no line to indicate where the controller is, but the fact it appears on what is effectively the passenger side is where I would start looking. The similar diagram for the C3 does have a line, showing it on the pass side, under the blower....
C3 heater.JPG
Richard W
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

Yes that looks very similar in position to the C5. I'd wager that the control unit unscrews with a quarter turn like the C5 does as well.

Shabbaranks

Post by Shabbaranks »

Well guys after taking apart the drivers side and then going back to the passengers side the problem is solved :)

I got so excited when I spotted it and pulled it out I didn't notice how it came out and had a slight struggle to put it back in - but shes in. Blowers working like a beauty and we're back in business thank you soooooooo much for all your help on this its very much appreciated.
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

Did you find something specifically wrong or was it just a case of taking it out and putting it back cured the problem?

Shabbaranks

Post by Shabbaranks »

Hi, I had to replace the part. Given it was only £20 (off the internet) but Citroen wanted to charge £80... I wasn't too bothered.

Apparently they are known to go (as resistors do) and I could have probably re-soldered a replacement resistor for less than £2 but as said it as a cheap fix anyway.