EGR exhaust clip removal and reinstallation

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Med_tech3
My Cars: Citroen C3 1.6 Auto
Peugeot 207 1.4 hdi

EGR exhaust clip removal and reinstallation

Post by Med_tech3 »

Since my last post I have decided my car problems on my C4 grand picasso are EGR related. I am planning on removing my EGR valve at the weekend to give it a clean up. I have had a dry run already so know how to get to it. I have even undone the two bolts that hold it to the block. The only problem I can see is unclipping the exhaust clamp and then getting the clip back in place when I reinstall the EGR valve. Is there any special tool or technique I need?
It is very limited space and I undid the bolts by feel as I cannot see the valve. I managed to get my phone in position to take a photo (attached).
Would it be better if I removed the windscreen wiper panel? Any advice would be great.

Thank you
Simon
Attachments
20181103_143413.jpg
Simple76
My Cars: Citroen Bx

Re: EGR exhaust clip removal and reinstallation

Post by Simple76 »

Remove scuttle under windscreen helps a lot. The clips are a pain I’ve spent more time replacing that clip then changing EGR valve. Sometimes when you buy a new EGR they come with a new clip. There is a special tool required for said clip.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Remove the battery (possibly the tray as well), air pipes, fuel filter and bracket, wipers and scuttle, air box, and possibly the cabin air duct (I think it just pulls off). Access is then not bad to the EGR. To get the clip off you need a pair of Clic pliers. In theory you can refit the old clip, but Citroen supply a repair clip that is bolt up. Mind you fitting that is not all that easy! You should get a new gasket as well - it's very easy to drop the old one...
Richard W
Med_tech3
My Cars: Citroen C3 1.6 Auto
Peugeot 207 1.4 hdi

Post by Med_tech3 »

Thank you both. I heard from somewhere else the EGR doesn't get clogged up and there is no point cleaning it, just replace it. What are your thoughts/ experiences?
Simple76
My Cars: Citroen Bx

Post by Simple76 »

Egr valve can just get clogged up preventing the movement of the internall mechanisms. However if you are having problems and taken egr of to clean may aswell replace with new. Worthwhile investing in a Valeo replacement as some aftermarket ones can be troublesome. You can get valeo ones from most motor factors don’t necessarily need to go to Citroen as there’s are also made by valeo.
moizeau
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 91 BX TZD Estate. Dead but loved
407 HDI 136 auto
C4 2l petrol coupé
2010 Dispatch III HDI 90
AND a 1980 Z1000ST
AND a 1983 GPz1100 inj
AND a 1995 Zephyr 1100
AND a 1980 Z650 (my moped)

Post by moizeau »

Regarding the clip, insert a small flat bladed screwdriver where it clips together and twist, to refit, use a pair of nail removing pincers (nail as in hammer and nail), these will reclip the tang, then strike the clipped tang, takes seconds.
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone