Classic for under £10K

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Re: Classic for under £10K-what would be nice?

Post by Zelandeth »

CitroJim wrote: 28 Oct 2018, 04:21
Zelandeth wrote: 27 Oct 2018, 22:26 I really did have to sit on my hands to stop me bidding on an early Metro that I saw not long back...it went for well over a grand though so out of my league really.

Gosh! Was that an MG or just a standard 'cooking' Metro?

Standard 998cc Mk I in that case, though it did have pepperpot alloys from an MG on. Beige though, yellow is better...
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Zelandeth wrote: 28 Oct 2018, 10:24
CitroJim wrote: 28 Oct 2018, 04:21
Zelandeth wrote: 27 Oct 2018, 22:26 I really did have to sit on my hands to stop me bidding on an early Metro that I saw not long back...it went for well over a grand though so out of my league really.

Gosh! Was that an MG or just a standard 'cooking' Metro?

Standard 998cc Mk I in that case, though it did have pepperpot alloys from an MG on. Beige though, yellow is better...

Gosh, strong money even with pepperpots... They used to be terrible for loosing their centres when the wheels got hot through heavy braking...
white exec wrote: 28 Oct 2018, 07:20 Our '59 Mini had Moulton rubber suspension, and a later '70 Mini 1000 had Hydrolastic. Don't think the H. really suited the short wheelbase, and the ride was not as leech-like as the rubber.
Rubber was definitely better on the Mini... I thought that by 1970 they had reverted to rubber or was it a bit later?

I had a Hydrolastic 1300 and that was indeed good as you say Chris but some roads would upset it in a way a Citroen would never be upset... Let's say an old sailor of the high-seas would have felt well at home :lol:

Hydragas on the Metro, including the Turbo, I found to be above reproach... Quite excellent... It may have been the poor-man's Hydropneumatic but it worked well enough...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 18 Oct 2018, 23:52 Anyone fancy an Automatic Saxo?
I wonder how well the Saxo Auto fared?

The results of daughter's MOT on her C3 had me tapping away on eBay and AutoTrader for a preliminary idea of what's out there.

I was amazed and appalled to find that an all makes search of cars within 25miles of me, which I think is 'as the Crow Flies' with these things; produced just FIVE small hatchbacks of all makes for up to £500

The Banger is becoming an endangered species and I wonder whether with supply this thin, that will be reflected in higher values.

I've yet to investigate the seriousness of the rear Sub-Frame mount corrosion advisories, but my initial 'get rid of it while its got a year's ticket' advice might have to be retracted.
Puxa
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur wrote: 28 Oct 2018, 21:15
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 18 Oct 2018, 23:52 Anyone fancy an Automatic Saxo?
I wonder how well the Saxo Auto fared?

Not up for Auction until 24th November at Errol Airfield just off the Perth-Dundee road.
Full catalogue here (awful display on my desktop but may be better on other machinery!)
https://stock.morrisleslie.com/stock/?s ... /24?page=1

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur wrote: 28 Oct 2018, 21:15 I was amazed and appalled to find that an all makes search of cars within 25miles of me, which I think is 'as the Crow Flies' with these things; produced just FIVE small hatchbacks of all makes for up to £500

The Banger is becoming an endangered species and I wonder whether with supply this thin, that will be reflected in higher values.

Indeed, you see very few now... Within my local area my Saxo is the oldest car by far and most are less that five years old...

Bangers just no longer exist. If you see a car over ten years old it's normally very tidy and clearly enthusiast owned and/or something special.

Beats me where all the money comes from...

So, the C3 suffers from the same sort of rear-end rot as the Saxo then? I life, some things never change :evil:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

CitroJim wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 07:43
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur wrote: 28 Oct 2018, 21:15 I was amazed and appalled to find that an all makes search of cars within 25miles of me, which I think is 'as the Crow Flies' with these things; produced just FIVE small hatchbacks of all makes for up to £500

Indeed, you see very few now... Within my local area my Saxo is the oldest car by far and most are less that five years old...

Bangers just no longer exist. If you see a car over ten years old it's normally very tidy and clearly enthusiast owned and/or something special.

So, the C3 suffers from the same sort of rear-end rot as the Saxo then? I life, some things never change :evil:

It's borrowed Jim, even banger users don't actually own their cars these days. :(
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

Thanks Neil, its not good on mine either (Desktop running Opera) will check again after the auction. I'll have the blue (stock) X-19 or the red wedge Princess if anyone wins the lottery :)

Guess its no surprise with cars' very limited lifespan these days that I find eBay's Part-Finder tool goes back only to 2009

and Euro (always my first point of call for a 'Guestimate') list neither Anti Roll Bar Bushes or the exhaust mid-section (her other advisories); for her 2005 car.

Seems weird that its firmly in Banger territory, in my head that's fairly new [make your own assumptions 'bout the state of my head!] [-X
Puxa
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 12:59 Thanks Neil, its not good on mine either (Desktop running Opera) will check again after the auction. I'll have the blue (stock) X-19 or the red wedge Princess if anyone wins the lottery :)

Guess its no surprise with cars' very limited lifespan these days that I find eBay's Part-Finder tool goes back only to 2009

and Euro (always my first point of call for a 'Guestimate') list neither Anti Roll Bar Bushes or the exhaust mid-section (her other advisories); for her 2005 car.

Seems weird that its firmly in Banger territory, in my head that's fairly new [make your own assumptions 'bout the state of my head!] [-X

In our local free paper this week there is a 51 Xsara 1.4 at £450 and an 02 Peugeot 206 1.9 HDI FOR £950 and a couple of Suzukis, Alto at £950, Ignis at £800.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

My first car was a 9 year old Austin Mini 1000 MkII in 1978 I paid £380 for it. according to this little calculator thats the equivalent of £2,117.42 right now.

http://www.in2013dollars.com/1978-GBP-i ... amount=380

..and £2117.42 could well buy me a 9 year old mini one today.

Now going the other way in 2018 I bought my bargain basement 03 reg Clio for 6 bottles of M&S wine, lets say £60 retail would be equivalent...according to the calculator £10.77 in 1978.

Could I have bought a 15 year old car in 1978 for £10.77? I can remember being tempted by a Rover P4 at £25!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 09:14
CitroJim wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 07:43

It's borrowed Jim, even banger users don't actually own their cars these days. :(

Ahh... That explains it! I'm not familiar with borrowing money - especially to buy a car...

Interesting on the relative cost of cars now and then :)
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

I like this, and its well within the category of under £10K. Haven't had much of a paddle around Italian "Classic" sites yet, but have noticed a number of Italian imports being offered at UK auctions recently.
Interesting selection available here
http://www.citymotors.comm.it/en/european-cars/1/1/

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

I suppose there is a finite number of Fiat 500's available, so people start casting their nets wider.

Keep coming back to my first immediate reaction: £10,000 seems an awful lot of money to spend on a car, even one that should retain its value - & I say that as a natural born petrolhead.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 22:33 I like this, and its well within the category of under £10K. Haven't had much of a paddle around Italian "Classic" sites yet, but have noticed a number of Italian imports being offered at UK auctions recently.
Interesting selection available here
http://www.citymotors.comm.it/en/european-cars/1/1/

Regards Neil

I bought and sold a couple of Lancia Gammas, one like your pictured one and a saloon (Berlina)model, they were fine cars but the engines were subject to head gasket failure and camshafts seemed to be made of old iron, lobes wore off by 30k miles, so that's two heads and two camshafts to sort out on each before they could be sold.. :(
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I think I'd have to plump for the NSU RO80. I was fortunate to have a blast in one of these back in the 80s, where an insurance friend of mine was selling his. I think he wanted £500 for it at the time - and is was really nice. I was tempted by it and liked anything not run of the mill. It had leather seats IIRC and a semi automatic box with Wankel Rotary Engine. Although fraught with engine problems with the rotor tips wearing out, I passed at the time and ended up with another GS, but I see Quentin did a little bit on the RO80 here:

Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
NewcastleFalcon

GiveMeABreak wrote: 31 Oct 2018, 09:43 I think I'd have to plump for the NSU RO80......

Has also appeared twice as a subject of whatsthisthen?

whatsthisthen?...the orange one

and with only a automatic gear stick and a bit of quentin wilsons leg to go on...Dickie G identified the RO80 from a screenshot from that very video

Gorgeous lines, I would have one on my drive even with a knackered engine!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey