C5 II loss of power CODE P2562

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

estateFan

C5 II loss of power CODE P2562

Post by estateFan »

Hi,

I thought I would post my experience to date relating to errorcode P2562 on my 2006 C5 2.0 exclusive estate facelift in the hope that it will either benefit others and/or attract useful advice from someone with similar problems.
Mileage is 92,000 now, bought with 29,000 four years ago.

In August 2016 I had an almost total loss of power. Hills required 1st gear. The Lexia showed only one error, permanent fault P2562 "Turbo valve position copy signal Value lower than setting" . I needed the car running properly because it was booked on a ferry for the annual holiday in 10 days so only option was official Citroen dealer. Mileage was 62,000 .
New turbo fitted, car running fine, £1,246 .

In May 2017 I replaced the timing belt myself ( SOHC engine ) over a weekend which went well, however no overtaking power again. Lexia said P2562. It could only have been something related to the belt change so spent an hour inspecting wires, connectors etc. until I discovered the vacuum pipe running from the solenoid to the turbo had been dislodged. Pushed it back on and everything fine again.

Last week, September 2018 no power again. I can hold motorway speeds up to 80 but cannot accelerate for overtaking or hold speed on hills.
Starting the car from cold it feels like the power is back to normal but after a while, give the throttle a big push and the car is back to lack of power again. Also, when turning the ignition off the engine seems to judder a fair bit, almost as if it's trying to run-on . From reading other posts on this site, the last two symptoms appear to be associated with EGR valve problems, but I don't have any related error codes and no warning lights on the dash. I have had no DPF warnings either. The car has been returning 40 mpg average all the time I have owned it although the computer says 45.

This weekend I plan to spend a day investigating. For what it's worth, I service the car and do all repairs myself if time allows. It gets an Oil and filter change every 10,000 miles. I'v had the ususal issues, serviced the rear calipers but found no corrosion, replaced the boot lid struts last week, replaced one rear parking sensor last year but now the parking warning sound is on everytime I put the car in reverse. If I run the car for more that 20 miles after the low fuel warning appears, then filling it up gives a DFP warning message which disappears after a few miles, so i fill up promptly now. Had the starter motor chew it's gear box. Replaced the rear suspension arm bearings on one side. Replaced the plastic engine undertray as the original one came off on the motorway after collecting the car from it's new turbo in 2016. Wasn't impressed. Also had the CV boot done at a Citroen main dealer and the steering vibrates on partial lock ever since.
Still outstanding, I will have to get my son with very long slim hands to change the front side light bulbs before the MOT next month. Clutch needs replacing as it's slips ocasionally.

Bad engineering/maintenance/design decisions aside, the suspension is the reason I bought the car.

Hopefully my next post will have more details on the outcome of my efforts. Any advice would be welcome.

Regards,
Tom.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: C5 II loss of power CODE P2562

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi Tom, I take it you have the DW10BTED4 138 engine?... If so, this is what I have on P2562:

Do you have a Lexia / Diagbox? Check the Turbo Position Reference Value against the Turbo position Repeat value - they should be closely matched. Rev the engine when looking at the live data / brake a couple of times - if you have a vacuum leak, after braking a few times the the Turbo position Repeat value will drop and take some time to get back up to the reference value.

This can be the vacuum solenoid air filters getting blocked. On the Peugeots they have a couple of these with sponges inside that can get clogged up with oil.
Fault codeP2562
After sales description of the fault codeTurbo position copy signal fault: Positive gap between the reference turbo position and the position measured
Description of the diagnosticsThe fault is forwarded if the difference between the reference value is above 30% at the actual position (For at least 8 seconds)
Conditions of activation of the diagnosticsEngine speed above 1500 rpm
Engine torque higher than 120Nm
Conditions of disappearance of the faultDriving for 5 minutes
Down-grade modes if fault presentInhibition of the flowmeter plausibility faults
Torque limitation for traction control
Deactivation of forced regeneration of the particle filter by the diagnostic tool
Switching on of the warning lamp and/or warning message-
Main customer complaints likelyLack of power
Noise
Smoke from the exhaust
Suspect areasTurbocharger position copy sensor
Electrical harness
Connector
Vacuum problem
The variable geometry of the turbocharger is locked
Particle filter
Air metering valve
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

It is also worth checking carfully for a leak in a turbo hose.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes, definitely wise to check all the unions and pipes they can crack with age and leak.

Marc
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Post by EDC5 »

Is it not a bit extreme to replace the entire turbo based on that fault code? I would suspect the issue is with the vacuum actuation system controlling the turbo rather than the turbo itself.
estateFan

Post by estateFan »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 04 Sep 2018, 15:49 Yes, definitely wise to check all the unions and pipes they can crack with age and leak.

Hi Marc,
that's the engine. Yes, I have a Lexia. When I ran the engine with the car stationary and reved it slightly the live data showed
RPM turbo pos. setting turbo pos. copy
1. 1120 rpm 85% 58%
2. 2688 rpm 62% 58%
3. 2752 rpm 58% 58%
4. 2240 rpm 65% 58%

I have no idea if those values are meaningful. I would prefer to see a sensor A has voltage 1, sensor B has resistance 2 type of output. Anyway I have a hand vacuum pump and gauge on the way so I should then be able to go through the hoses and look for leaks this weekend.

Thanks,
Tom.
estateFan

Post by estateFan »

EDC5 wrote: 04 Sep 2018, 21:04 Is it not a bit extreme to replace the entire turbo based on that fault code? I would suspect the issue is with the vacuum actuation system controlling the turbo rather than the turbo itself.

Totally agree. I had no option as I didn't have the time to diagnose the problem myself. A turbo failure at 62,000 miles was improbable but another turbo failure 30,000 miles later is not possible so I'm commuting on my motorbike until I find the real problem.

Thanks,
Tom.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes, you can see that at low revs the second value is well below what it should be. If you apply the brakes on and off and watch the data, you may see the second value drop further as the vacuum circuit starts to deplete - then as you rev her up, the vacuum will start to restore, and slowly stabilise in line with the first values. That will cause a lag, so worth checking the vacuum solenoids and the filters inside the caps - this can restrict the air flow.

Look forward to seeing the results.

Marc
estateFan

Post by estateFan »

Results of weekend investigation.
Start the car with hand down the back of the engine from the top, finger on the turbo vane actuator rod. Get helper to start the car. Rod should move but it doesn’t.
Connect vacuum hand pump to actuator vacuum pipe on solenoid end, rod moves in proportion to vacuum, 20 inHg pulls the rod out as far as it can go. Rule out turbo problem.
Check vacuum pressure on vac input side of solenoid, 8 inHg . I compared these figures with the same engine but in a Peugeot. Vacuum should be 30 inHG constant as soon as the engine starts.
Check vacuum pump. Disconnect plastic fitting by pinching the sides. Comes off easily. Connect the gauge to the vacuum pump. Getting 30 inHG so the pump is good.
Identify which pipe is leaking starting at the vacuum pump end. By checking vacuum at the rubber pipes leaving the vacuum pump, I ruled out leaks in the brake servo and servo vacuum pipe and also the narrow vacuum pipe that comes off the servo pipe right beside the vacuum pump. Followed the remaining pipe to under the inlet manifold. Proved no leaks in that pipe to where it’s connected to a little plastic box under the inlet manifold, by using the hand pump.
Pipe exits the plastic box into a short pipe to a plastic Y connector ( from there it runs to the turbo actuator solenoid ). Went to move it and the connector snapped. Same problem found here viewtopic.php?t=55650
So it looks like the Y piece. At the very least I have to replace that anyway to continue further investigation should it turn out not to be the problem and the Y piece just happened to break.
Will update when I get the Y connector.
Regards,
Tom.
estateFan

Post by estateFan »

Just noticed my post title is C%. Must have had caps lock on. Shame as it will make it more difficult for users to find if looking for C5 related posts.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Excellent work there Tom. Following a methodical approach is paying off it seems.

I’ll amend the title for you.

Marc
estateFan

Post by estateFan »

Bad news. That part is not available from Citroen/Peugeot. Only the complete harness. Parts guy printed me the part number for the harness and a copy of an eBay listing from Poland. Dragged his feet when I asked for the Citroen price, I didn't have the heart to insist. I didn't see the point anyway. Lots of money just because you need the £2.00 part it's connect to. Need the car for this weekend so have to find some solution before then.
Many thanks for showing an interest and making suggestions.
Tom.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Is the part on the diagram below?

Click to Zoom
C5 MK II Emissions Piping.PNG

Marc
estateFan

Post by estateFan »

Thank's Marc. I took a photo of the parts printout when I was at the dealer yesterday. The part numbers on your diagram are slightly different but I think number 10 on your diagram is the complete harness. The actual Y-piece would be hidden somewhere below the number 74. I made a fix last night based on this post http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/peugeo ... p0299.html
which has some nice images of the y-piece and the fix I used. Aquarium air T-piece and tubing over the existing vacuum pipes with the stubs of the old Y-piece left in place.
Thanks again for your input. No doubt I will be posting again, hopefully later rather than sooner. The clutch will need replacing so I will try and write something up for that job when I get round to it.
All the best.
Tom.
nonnus
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 2.0HDi Activa
Citroen C5 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by nonnus »

Hello... This post describes a similar problem as my C5... so I will expose my similar issue.
Today when I started the car and start to drive, for a few minutes when I hit the gas to go up the street I realise that I had lack of power boost, very slow engine revving, and also I have no check engine light on the dash or any information error on the screen... so when I parked home I connected my little handy ODBII to see rightway what was going on... and it read the error P2562 Turbocharger boost control position sensor circuit. Same error but I think it is not described as the same problem as above, but maybe has the same resolution.
I have Lexia3 and I will maybe tomorrow use it to see more information.
If the problem is near the turbo... is it hard to fix??!... I'm asking, because I have lack of space and means... I have tools, but for a more complex problem is difficult for me.