Diesel Emissions Scandal (VW) Diesel v Petrol

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Diesel Emissions Scandal (VW) Diesel v Petrol

Post by CitroJim »

Neil, that's lovely :) Thanks for finding and posting it...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

GiveMeABreak wrote:Could the recent VW Diesel Emissions scandal re-ignite the Petrol v Diesel debate - what do you think?

1) As a Diesel owner, would you be more likely to consider reverting back to a petrol?
2) Does the extra MPG / KMH you may get justify many of the maintenance costs of the DPF system and all the related issues and problems of those components?

It would be good to get some feedback.
I've had 2 diesel Xants and I've now got my current diesel C5 - at the time I bought my C5 I didn't think twice about any 'complications' that may arise from owning another diesel. My motoring tends to be long-ish distance in relatively short times - I like the fact that I can go from here to York and back on one tank of fuel and still have loads left over, and whenever I do my European trips it's always running a full tank to nearly empty to maximise the run between fill ups. I may only do 10k a year in my car, but 8-9k of that is long runs with only 1-2k being 'shopping runs'. I'm hoping [-o< that this driving style (and annual servicing by me !) will minimise any problems with the DPF etc, but only time will tell on that one. I bought the C5 with the intention of keeping it long term so I'm hoping it will be another 5-10 years before I need to consider another car, I'll have to see what the situation regarding diesels is then !
If I had to go out and buy another car now, I'd probably opt for the same again - a lot of car for the money, but I'd be looking to do as much of my own maintenance as possible in order to keep running costs down. I don't 'fear' owning a PSA diesel at the moment as I know I could get help on this forum if something odd went wrong with the engine. I'm not sure I'd be so confident if I owned a different marque.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

It looks like VW not only have not learned their lesson, they appear prepared to put lives at risk. If the following article is to be believed VW is using cadmium in some of their plug in hybrid and electric cars!

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/the ... spartanntp

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/ca ... us-element
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Surely that's a non story, NiCad batteries can be bought in any shop/supermarket in the world, rechargeable for use in the home.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Bick

Post by Bick »

back on topic

im hanging on to my 1.6hdi without dpf for as long as i can then i will see whats out there and my yearly mileage to decide what to get next.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

My thoughts as well. NiCads are more difficult to obtain nowadays having been superseded by NiMH but it's still possible.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​