CO2 Nonsense

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Re: CO2 Nonsense

Post by van ordinaire »

I'm sure I read somewhere that beer is best for flushing kydneys. Cheers!
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 11:22 It's just really sad to see how so much of it ends up in the sea - but I have a real big gripe ...

So do I... as stated, we are being made to feel guilty about plastic usage and disposal..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44905576

Like I said before, it's not OUR fault. It's the authorities that are urging us to recycle who are causing the issue.

You pay your council tax, do as they demand for your recycling, perhaps pay extra for more boxes, and then the waste goes abroad to be processed so the local authorities can cut costs, and is simply put in landfill.

*THAT* is a gripe.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Packaging does need to be designed for recycling. PET (eg water bottles) and HDPE ('polythene') are easily recycled, apparently, while others far less so. Do wonder whether we need to use so many different plastics (PET, PE, PU, PP....) for food and general packaging, all of which throws up separation issues for the recycler.

What does need to stop is the use of composite materials, where one material is laminated or bonded on to another - for example wine bottle neck wraps, many of which appear to be aluminium, but are actually a plastic-ali composite (tear one to find out). Ferraro Rocher wraps are another needless 'glue-together'.

The whole business of "recycle collection" needs to be simplified, so that households are not asked to make wildly varying separations, according to where they live. Probably, only three 'bins' are needed: paper, organic (eg food waste), and metal/plastic/glass. In France, I think I read that this has been reduced to just two.

Plastic film is a problem for the recyclers, apparently, so we must review its type and its use. Plastics may sometimes be cheaper to produce than paper, but paper is often the better choice. Packing eggs in plastic is just crazy. Whole-life costs must be taken into account, not just a manufacturer's ticket price.

Much of this, in the UK, requires government coordination and action (better at an EU level), so not a lot of hope there, largely because our so-called Environment Secretary is fully occupied getting is out of Europe, before he moves on to yet another ministerial post. Wonderful.
Chris
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

white exec wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 07:49In France, I think I read that this has been reduced to just two.
It obviously must depend on where you live, as in the UK, but our village in the Vaucluse (84) only has one bin per house for recyclables.

However this is tempered by the fact that there are multiple recycling points in the village where you are supposed to take newspapers and glass, both of which are collected in the one recycling bin in the UK. It does annoy me that in our area in the UK that Tetrapack containers can't go in the recycling bin whereas in France they can!

Another UK annoyance is that aluminium foil is not recycled even if it has no food waste stuck on. I can't believe that aluminium is so widely available that it can sent to landfill rather than melted down. I'm surely not the only one who remembers collecting milk bottle tops to buy a guide dog?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
white exec
Moderating Team
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Andalucia has local yellow recy bins for "Envases" - containers of all types: plastic, tetrapak, metal. Other plastic and metal items go in there too, including plastic film/wrap, coathangers, empty aerosols...
Another bin for glass (of all colours).
One more for paper/cardboard.
Last one for "Organic", which includes garden and food waste, and odds-and-sods (rope, wood...).

That last one gets roundly abused by many locals, who use it for anything they can't be bothered to separate.

We have no refuse collection, and live 5km from the nearest village bins - so have three large dustbins in the garage for recyclable plastic, paper and metals, plus a couple of plastic boxes for glass. When full, contents get taken to the village containers. Takes us about two weeks to fill a small pedal-bin in the kitchen with 'organic' garbage; surprising how little of this there is nowadays.
Chris
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Here in my County in Wales glass has to be taken to the village which has permanent containers for it. They also have containers for everything else including clothing for the Salvation Army.

In our recycling bags, we are not required to separate the stuff out, it all goes in one, so plastics, paper, cartons, plastic bottles, cans, lids all go in the one recycling bag.

I guess they sort it out at the centre. Also, about twice a year, they have rubbish ‘amnesties’ where you can bring down any old junk that you would normally have to take to the recycling centre / tip (although it’s not actually a tip). That’s all free too. My mate often accumulates kids bikes and worn out or broken toys that have been left in the field, so he takes the lot down in one go.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
white exec
Moderating Team

Post by white exec »

That would also seem to be the answer to Flytipping - just have local authority waste depots accept junk/waste free-of-charge. Has to be better than spending millions on clearing up after the flytippers.
Chris
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

We have an excellent 'tip' here, they have those huge containers all clearly marked separately for what can be put in them, everything can be dumped there from batteries to fridges and cookers, tvs and computers.

The fly tipping is due here to the fact that commercial waste is not accepted for free, builders and the like dump their trash in clearings in the forest or on farm tracks rather than pay a few bob to do it legally..

In Brisbane where my brother's family live they have a monthly sale at the tip where you can go along and buy for a couple of dollars anything from toys to furniture and tools.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Back to the Co2 - I'm now pleased that Aldi have replenished stocks of their fizzy spring water :-D

A dew weeks ago all the managers of the store were gathered round the soft drinks isle having a discrete moan about the CO2 crisis affecting sales....
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

Saw crumpets in Lidl's recently - so I suppose that particular panic about nothing is over.

Have to say though, it was a classic example of "the meeja" being on another planet!
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o