CO2 Nonsense

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: CO2 Nonsense

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Michel wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 07:25
GiveMeABreak wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 07:14 We're used to having to boil water though from living abroad so no loss there.

Where did you live where that was necessary Marc? I think I've drank tap water in just about every country I've been too and never suffered any ill effects over the years. That includes Hong Kong, China and Sri Lanka more than 35 years ago when hygiene "wasn't the best"..
The Dominican, Haiti, West Africa, Mombassa, Tunisia, Turkey as some examples where we lived and stayed. Singapore & Malaysia areok, as was most of Europe of course :-D
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Michel wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 07:34
GiveMeABreak wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 18:42 So what's with all this CO2 malarky then?

Can't believe the country is being held to ransom by CO2 factories all deciding they are going to undertake maintenance at the same time! Well done the management on that score :roll: :roll: :roll:

So out shopping yesterday and no fizzy water, no lemonade, no flipping meat (and who would of thought they put C02 in your Sunday roast anyway?), no cake and no bloody crumpets!

Well that's me stuffed as I won't drink tapwater, so will likely be overdosing on vitamin C now as I consume vast quantities of OJ. :evil:

Well, I don't drink alcohol, I don't drink anything fizzy, I'm no fan of crumpets... and ... I can simply catch my own dinner as per this pic taken yesterday...

I hope you won't be dancing round a sacrificial alter or doing anyything dodgy with that chicken Mike :-D

Marc
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 07:55
I hope you won't be dancing round a sacrificial alter or doing anyything dodgy with that chicken Mike :-D
[/quote]

Bizarrely, this was taken at my son's school yesterday. He was at a small birthday party at the school swimming pool, and I am a "spotter" - read voluntary lifeguard/pool attendant. After the party, the kids were using the benches outside the pool area to have their food, and the school chickens were roaming free and terrorising the kids and trying to nick their food. I had to catch a few and stick them back in their pen. The chickens get to roam free in the daytime, and go in their very secure pen at night. These are hard, fearless chickens. There's 300 kids at the school and the chickens roam free at break times!
Michel
(Donor 2022)

Post by Michel »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 07:51 The Dominican, Haiti, West Africa, Mombassa, Tunisia, Turkey as some examples where we lived and stayed. Singapore & Malaysia areok, as was most of Europe of course :-D

Yeah, I'd be boiling my water there too! People expressed surprise when I was drinking tap water in Porto Alegre in the South of Brazil, but it didn't do me any harm. More likely to get chlorine poisoning off that than cholera !
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Indeed, and despite my best efforts and being a very fussy but plain food eater, I still managed to be hospitalised and on a drip in Kenya as a result of some pesky bug / parasite thing. I usually have a cast iron stomach - but when it comes to mother nature, none of us are invulnerable :cry:

Marc
Michel
(Donor 2022)

Post by Michel »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 08:31 Indeed, and despite my best efforts and being a very fussy but plain food eater, I still managed to be hospitalised and on a drip in Kenya as a result of some pesky bug / parasite thing. I usually have a cast iron stomach - but when it comes to mother nature, none of us are invulnerable :cry:

I've only every had food poisoning once, and it was a most unpleasant experience. I ate some undercooked chicken at a restaurant in Athens. I thought it was a bit iffy at the time, but it was quite late at night and back then I did drink alcohol, and had drank rather a lot of it that evening.
I'm the opposite. I'll eat pretty much anything. It's never affected me adversely apart from that chicken, as long as it's been washed or cooked where appropriate.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I think anyone who won't drink tap water in the UK is just a faddist :-D bottled water is more risky in that it doesn't have to go through the stringent tests that tap water has and sits un-refrigerated in store and on shop shelves for...…………..well who knows?

Water from the tap under a tenner for a cubic metre (220gallons) or bottled water 10p - 20p per litre approximately, more if they give it a posh name.

And for the 'greenies' amongst what about the environmental costs of moving all those bottles?

Evian is Naïve backwards, think they were taking the p when they named it. :-D
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Michel
(Donor 2022)

Post by Michel »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 09:33 I think anyone who won't drink tap water in the UK is just a faddist :-D bottled water is more risky in that it doesn't have to go through the stringent tests that tap water has and sits un-refrigerated in store and on shop shelves for...…………..well who knows?

Water from the tap under a tenner for a cubic metre (220gallons) or bottled water 10p - 20p per litre approximately, more if they give it a posh name.

And for the 'greenies' amongst what about the environmental costs of moving all those bottles?

There's currently 10 litres of bottled water in our fridge!

All out of the tap. It's just to keep it cold, as it's currently coming out the tap warm
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 09:33 I think anyone who won't drink tap water in the UK is just a faddist :-D bottled water is more risky in that it doesn't have to go through the stringent tests that tap water has and sits un-refrigerated in store and on shop shelves for...…………..well who knows?

I don't but that branded stuff, just the flavoured fizzy stuff - and our Aldi store is ALWAYS running out - so I have no worries about it hanging about. As for green green credentials, we have to recycle everything here - food compost bins weekly, and fortnightly alternating between blue and black bags - blue is for all paper, cardboard and plastics, cans and the black for non-recyclable stuff. I have to say that our collection of black bags has diminished considerably and we rarely have 1 bag a month as do many in the community here as most stuff is recyclable. Garden waste we have a scheme where you pay £42 a season for a supplied large green wheelie bin that is collected fortnightly for all your garden waste - so that all goes into composting too.

So I'm quite content I'm doing my bit :-D

Marc
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Your recycle scheme is near the same as ours, our green bin though is £30 a year. (I guess that will change if our council gets wind of your price.) :)

I recycle plastic, paper/cardboard, cans and glass bottles, my black bin takes about eight weeks to have enough in to be bothered with.

I don't have any food waste, only buy and cook what I can use, potato/veg peelings go in my compost bin and any meat scraps are consumed by the birds in my garden.

I've never bought a bottle of water.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Michel
(Donor 2022)

Post by Michel »

I have a huge issue with all the current fuss about plastic and pollution - it's not OUR fault. We weren't told it was being dumped in oceans by waste companies!! Now we are all being vilified for our use of plastic, when it's those massive waste corporations who should be taken to task about it. Plastic itself is a very, very useful material, and used/recycled properly could go a long, long way to solving many problems rather than creating them.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It's just really sad to see how so much of it ends up in the sea - but I have a real big gripe with our Local Authority that don't put any refuse bins on any of the public spots near the beaches. They have plenty of parking on the cliff top overlooking the coast and also down on the beaches - but not a single bin! So what do some people do? - open their car doors and leave a nice deposit by the side of the car - I've seen it happen plenty of times and gets me really angry. But the Authority should put a bin there - as it is on the main road and collections already take place for the residents opposite - completely insane.

Marc
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Post by EDC5 »

I wish I could caitalise on the apparently huge amounts of CO2 my C5 makes, might make a dent in the huge road tax bill :(
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

I have not seen, much less suffered, any results of this CO2 shortage - but it has got me my own thread on the Cadillac Forum!

"Water, never touch the stuff - fish fornicate in it!" or, as my mother used to say "It rusts tin cans & rots your boots - God knows what it does to your stomach" Seriously though, I will not be taken in by this huge con foisted upon us by the bottled water companies: there is absolutly no need, ever, to drink any water. We do need a certain minimum daily fluid intake (I think it's less than a pint) but anything will do as they are all 90-odd% water.

Most of that plastic on beaches is not litter but flotsam & jetsam.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Post by EDC5 »

I do drink a lot of water generally. It can keep my appetite at bay during the lunch time and reduces your chances of kidney stones so it's a win-win :-D