Remember these.? All our yesterdays

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Remember these.? All our yesterdays

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 19 May 2018, 09:54 Rediffusion Vans?

http://www.rediffusion.info/vans.html

D l E l R Vans?

https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/wp-content/ ... 0/der1.jpg

Visionhire (1972 Advert)...."Colour the Olympics!"

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rpsmithba ... t6G-ryqezw

Radio Rentals "Colour TV ony 25/- a week"

https://www.shropshirestar.com/resizer/ ... YHKMA.jpg

Regards Neil

Those bring back a few warm memories!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

My rentals were 4/9 per week when we lived in Sevenoaks. That was 405 mono mind.

A link to your Facebook page came up on my sons account yesterday Jim, must be the name connection - I don't have one (an account not a name)

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote: 20 May 2018, 11:43 A link to your Facebook page came up on my sons account yesterday Jim, must be the name connection - I don't have one (an account not a name)

A shame Peter :( You should have one. I think you'd enjoy Facebook - especially with me as a friend... You'd see a different side of me there ;)

I'm still trying to recall the model of colour telly in the Radio Rentals advert...

When I do I'll be happy...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

CitroJim wrote: 20 May 2018, 16:24

I'm still trying to recall the model of colour telly in the Radio Rentals advert...

When I do I'll be happy...

I don’t believe it :!: It’s THE most famous name in TV :-D

Clag 19 inch colour on the end of it..and you have your answer.

Of course the exact model number would require a greater expertise than mine but how about a 718 dual standard

Close?

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Message given in no uncertain terms by a London Bobby
Switch off the colour sets you are causing an obstruction
..and the occasion....

Radio Rentals new Colour Television Centre Cheapside London December 1967

http://www.forum.radios-tv.co.uk/viewto ... 04#p138506

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

I have a very vague recollection of a 405-line b&w tv, with 26" screen size, being used at my school in the mid-'60s.
The gaps between the lines were visibly huge!

At the other end of the scale, by the early '70s, there was the fabulous little Sony 9-90UB tv...
Sony tv 9-90UB.jpg
...which had "everything": 405- vhf and 626-line uhf, mains or 12v operation, forward-facing speaker, telescopic aerial, and (on an available version) a small box on the LHS with audio/video/EIAJ connection for use as a video monitor.
The black lump on the right was a sturdy removable screen/panel protector.

Before our first colour tv at home (1974)...
KV2000UB.jpg
...a Sony KV2000UB, the little 9" was our only tv set - such were the first few years of paid employment!

Like a lot of Sony's, the 20" soldiered on faultlessly for over 20 years. Eventually, it blew out a capacitor. This was replaced gratis by Sony (at their Staines service centre), on the basis that it was the oldest Sony tv they'd seen that year. Lovely.
Chris
NewcastleFalcon

Can you remember when a slide show was literally a slide show requiring something like this, a darkened room and a cumbersome screen!

Kodak Carousel 4400 projector with 140-slide tray [CC BY-SA 4.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0) or GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html)], by Steve Morgan, from Wikimedia Commons

The thought crossed my mind as I fell victim to this headline from the South China Morning Post

A 26-year-old Singaporean geek turned down US$100m for his app. It was a great call

His app....Carousell named after the said projector.

and what does the App do to be so valuable? (Its now valued at US$500m hence the story)

Lets you list and sell stuff from your phone. Its not even an innovative idea. Must must be the case of being a "better mousetrap". It can suggest categories to put your stuff in direct from the picture you take. Saves you the bother of typing shoes if you have shoes to sell. Wow!

Regards neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

I still have three Kodak Carousel projectors boxed up here. In their heyday (70s and 80s) their S-AV2000 was the industry choice for AV presentations. Shows like The London Experience could use up to 96 of these projectors, with dissolves, rapid-fire and superimpositions all driven from taped multi-track audio.

With a list price of over £300 even then, we were purchasing the 2000 new for Educational use for around a third of that. In the late 80s, we bought a job lot of fifty of them, which had been used for a multi-screen show in Brighton. IIRC, they cost us £5 each!
Kodak_Carrousel_S-AV2000.jpg
The Kodak circular (carousel magazine) design won its creators several design awards, and a place in London's prestigious Design Centre. For those who did not want to use Kodak, there was the French-made Simda - a bright blue or grey look-alike, which accepted the same circular magazines, and offered slide-changes at twice the speed.
Chris
NewcastleFalcon

white exec wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 21:41 Shows like The London Experience could use up to 96 of these projectors, with dissolves, rapid-fire and superimpositions all driven from taped multi-track audio.

Good stuff Chris....and seeing as the carousel projector is enjoying its 5 minutes of fame on the "Remember These ? thread here's a bit more...

Nice snippet from this article....AV at 40: Slide projectors (written 2012)

Biggest show of the year was a 63-projector show launching the British Leyland Metro at the NEC. Prater AV made the show using 21 screens and Electrosonic control systems and its own rostrum camera facilities.
..and the people consuming the "show" would have had no idea of the toil which must have gone into its preparation!

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 06 Jun 2018, 22:21, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I still have a Rollei P11 dual format projector.
Can't get it to run without jamming though.
Rollei P11.jpg
We used a load of Carousel projectors at work too.
NewcastleFalcon

From the same article
The first big live presentation shows made their appearance. In October 1975 Gary Withers of Saffron Design (who went on to found Imagination) and production house Applied Audio Visual produce a 15,000 slide presentation (using 136 slide trays and 36 projectors) for a conference launching CBS Records’ coming releases from star bands such as Abba, Steppenwolf and The Wombles. All three groups appeared in the show via 16mm inserts.
star bands such as Abba, Steppenwolf and..... The Wombles :!: :!: :!:

Well thats today's selections for the PE Jukebox taken care of!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

You'll have to forgive me but, as you may have read elsewhere, I've been away & still trying to catch up.

Before TV, did Radio Rentals really rent radios? I can't recall ever having come accross any reference to such a thing.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Oh yes, I remember them well. I the early '50s most most people couldn't afford a television and even radios were expensive. I worked as a TV engineer for 50 years starting in '54, I was earning £5.00 per week and a new 12" Bush console TV - BBC only, cost 105 guineas, that's about £110.50p to you or 22 weeks wages. A good quality radio would have been £50.00 by the mid to late '50s.

Petrol was about 5/- per gallon or 25p so my entire wages would have bought about 20 gallons, how many can you get for today's average weekly wage?

Peter
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

As soldiers doing national service in Taunton (1953) each billet rented a radio from a shop in town, couldn't say though if it was Radio Rentals or just some enterprising local.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I recently got my Rank Aldis projector from the loft and set it up on the dining room table, gave the wall a wash down, so I could project some of the several hundred 35mm slides on to it, unfortunately the bulb had failed, got a replacement from ebay for £3.00 something.

Subsequently set it up with my camera on a tripod beside it and photographed the slides I wanted to keep, which included the front of the garage I used to buy my cars from in the '50s the 'Arthur Daley' of Bromley. They came out surprisingly well if the slides were in anything like good condition which sadly a lot of them were not.

Brought back a few memories though.

Peter