C5 Mk3 X7 Autobox Interlock Relay

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

milleplod
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 2.0HDi Exclusive Tourer
(Previously, in order....Dyane, 2CV6 x 3, Visa 1.7D, GSA estate, GS Pallas, CX TurboII, Picasso...all fondly remembered!).

Re: C5 Mk3 X7 Autobox Interlock Relay

Post by milleplod »

Video of how easy it is here -

Pete
Last edited by myglaren on 21 May 2018, 21:03, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: YouuTube link
Nocto Diuque Venamur.
petef
My Cars: DS DS5, C4 Coupe, DS23 Pallas, Xantia Activa

Post by petef »

I have managed to remove the bezel using a credit card sized piece of plastic. The video shows everything springing out easily. In practice, for me, the gear lever top stayed firmly in place on the shaft - perhaps there is a knack to remove this>?
Any way I have sprayed silicone lubricant around the release mechanism, we will see if the interlock now behaves reliably. If not it will mean finding and replacing the relay - was a part number for that ever identified?
petef

Post by petef »

If no part number is known perhaps someone - EDC5? - could tell me the colour of the relay. I might be able to trace it from that.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Pete I don't have your VIN, so this is based on an early X7 Auto with DW10BTED4 engine - should be the same. Now you know the location, you should be able to identify the connector to the correct relay.

Click to Zoom
X7 AM6 Shift Lock Relay.png
  • 1642 is the gear lever blocking actuator control relay
Note: It is connected to a 10 pin black connector
  • 1603 is the assembly (automatic gearbox control)
10PR.PNG
10PR is the main harness which goes into the glovebox area
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
petef

Post by petef »

Thanks Marc. Very useful. The item 1642 is clearly the bit I'm after but is not the part number - seems to be the wiring harness reference number. Just looking at it it would appear to be a pretty standard 4 pin relay. But my old - and possibly incomplete - Citroen Service doesn't show anything. Could you give me the part number? My VIN is VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff].

Thanks

Peter
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Post by EDC5 »

It's a generic SPST 4 terminal relay. I don't remember the part number off the top of my head but it's installed in a block with a couple of other identical ones.

He only way I could trace it was with someone pressing and releasing the brake pedal as I listened for the click and eventually removed the offending relay.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I think it's a pretty standard relay - there are no part numbers that I can see apart from the buzzer and flasher unit relays - so best to remove it and id it, or see if Elis can remember where he got his - but I would suggest you replace it with the same power ratings.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

Actually, I now think it was a 5 pin relay, very similar if not identical to this:

petef

Post by petef »

Thanks guys.
Looking at the diagram showing relay 1642 it does seem to have 5 terminals - just that one is not used.
I am now limbering up for the contortions required to get to it. Does the glove box have to come out or can you get to it from underneath?
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

Yep, there is a high current 25 amp NC contact and 10 amp NO contact on that 5 pin relay.

Don't take the glove box out, its a swine to refit properly (including the cool air feed).

Just take off the panel under the glove box, two twist clips I think at the front and maybe the side of the centre console that goes into the foot well (T20 bit required).
Then at the very back left hand side of the foot well (when looking towards the front of the car) look up from there and you should see some plastic bracket holding a couple of relays.

I wish I’d taken some pictures at the time but it didn’t occur to me.
petef

Post by petef »

So...... panel removed under glove box. Found bracket holding just one green relay at back LHS ( and 5 unterminated wires bound together - perhaps for another relay for goodies not fitted on my car). However when I removed it the interlock still works - intermittently as before - so it can't be the one. Couldn't feel it clicking when my wife operated the brakes either and the pin configuration is not the same as the pic above . Have a feeling the one I need must be nearer the central console - but where?
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

petef wrote: 23 May 2018, 16:27 So...... panel removed under glove box. Found bracket holding just one green relay at back LHS ( and 5 unterminated wires bound together - perhaps for another relay for goodies not fitted on my car). However when I removed it the interlock still works - intermittently as before - so it can't be the one. Couldn't feel it clicking when my wife operated the brakes either and the pin configuration is not the same as the pic above . Have a feeling the one I need must be nearer the central console - but where?

When I press my brake pedal I hear the interlock under the gear stick click as well as the relay click under the glovebox.

That was the only way I could find it.

From memory it was a long way up behind the glovebox, I'd try and see if there is another bracket even further up behind the BSI area.
petef

Post by petef »

Yes I can hear it clicking too and certainly seems to be behind LHS rear of glove box.
Even had mirrors involved (no smoke though) and still couldn't see it. Will have another look tomorrow when neck has recovered a bit!
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

petef wrote: 23 May 2018, 19:47 Yes I can hear it clicking too and certainly seems to be behind LHS rear of glove box.
Even had mirrors involved (no smoke though) and still couldn't see it. Will have another look tomorrow when neck has recovered a bit!

I'm glad you can hear it, and I hope when you find it, it is indeed the source of the problem.

As I said in a previous post I had to be practically upside down in the bottom of the footwell to even get close to it :shock:
petef

Post by petef »

Curiouser and curiouser. I have now bent these old bones sufficiently to look right behind the glove box in the search for more relays. Cannot find any, but did observe that when my wife pressed the brake pedal it rotates a round horizontal steel bar in the passenger footwell - presumably a consequence of RHD build in what is essentially a LHD bodyshell - to which is attached a lever which operates a switch. Seems to be spring loaded and when the brake pedal pressed it allows it to springs out a touch. This in turn seems to operate the interlock. Maybe I have got this all wrong and it is just the brake light switch, but cleaning it with Servisol switch cleaner/lubricant now results - however temporarily - in the interlock working every time. Maybe the relay/interlock design was changed at some point? - mine is an 09 car RP 11495.