C5 2.0HDi antipollution fault + revs limited

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

russell37uk
My Cars: Citroen C5

C5 2.0HDi antipollution fault + revs limited

Post by russell37uk »

Hi i have a 2003 C5 2.0HDi , approx 137,000 miles, and have a problem which i hope someone can shed some light on - im not very tech minded to keep the answers simple (ish)

My C5 has developed a Antipollution Fault, and the revs are limited to approx 3000rpm, which isn't too bad once up to cruising speed, its just getting to that speed.
Car does pull ok but a bit slow and lacking in power, not a big issue on the flat but its hard going uphill, have to use 2nd a lot!

A garage has taken it for a test drive and said that its not running to its full advantage, which i can see and appreciate, i just didnt notice the big loss of power as im driving daily and if the power has slowly reduced over time (a little at a time) then you tend not to notice small changes.

Anyway garage took it for said test drive, and confirmed (as i knew now) about the loss of power and i just put it down to being related to the antipollution fault, bot myself and the garage, took it for granted that it would be the EGR valve so had this replaced, however this has made NO difference - antipollution fault still present, and the loss of power.
Garage then also did a test drive with the MAF sensor? (under the air intake/filter) disconnected, but this made no difference to either issue.

Any suggestions on where to look next, and ideas on the possible costs?

I would add that the garage has offered to do a full diagnostic test at no cost due to wrongly diagnosing a EGR fault. but just want to know what costs i could be looking at.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: C5 2.0HDi antipollution fault + revs limited

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The engine ECU will put the car into what is often termed ‘limp mode’ when it detects issues with anything that can damage the engine or the emissions equipment.

This basically limits the power available to reduce damage, and is telling you to get it sorted basically.

Do you have your VIN code or registration so we can determine your exact model, engine type and emissions equipment fitted. You really need to get it to a garage with a Lexia 3 diagnostic and provide us with the fault codes, but in the interim, the VIN or reg will help.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
russell37uk

Post by russell37uk »

Hi GiveMeABreak,
Thanks for your reply.
I do not have the VIN code at the moment, and would prefer not to post my Reg on a public form, so will pm you the reg if thats ok with you.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes, PM it, that’s fine.

Marc
russell37uk

Post by russell37uk »

Sent
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so you have the C5 2.0 HDi 110 (DW10ATED) with Manual gearbox 5, and no Particle Filter.

So that's the good news, no particle filter clogging up or Eolys to refill. So what you really need now is to get some diagnostic codes as I mentioned earlier - As you've already found, replacing parts without doing this can be expensive and unnecessary. There could be issues with the air flow meter (MAF), the air or fuel supply / pump, a Turbo hose leak or one of a number of sensors. So we really need to get some fault codes from a Lexia to understand what it is not happy about and this may save you some time and money by pointing you in the right direction.

Marc
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I occasionally got an Anti Pollution fault on my C5 Mk1, and it turned out that the rubber pipe that connected onto the EGR had a pinhole leak at one end. Michel found it, nipped the pipe back by about 1cm, and the fault has not returned since. It could be worth checking the rubber pipes along the firewall bulkhead.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
russell37uk

Post by russell37uk »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 13 May 2018, 17:34 Ok, so you have the C5 2.0 HDi 110 (DW10ATED) with Manual gearbox 5, and no Particle Filter.

So that's the good news, no particle filter clogging up or Eolys to refill. So what you really need now is to get some diagnostic codes as I mentioned earlier - As you've already found, replacing parts without doing this can be expensive and unnecessary. There could be issues with the air flow meter (MAF), the air or fuel supply / pump, a Turbo hose leak or one of a number of sensors. So we really need to get some fault codes from a Lexia to understand what it is not happy about and this may save you some time and money by pointing you in the right direction.

Thanks for the info, i am hoping to get it on a lexia in a couple of weeks, so hopefully that'll shed some light.
russell37uk

Post by russell37uk »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 13 May 2018, 17:51 I occasionally got an Anti Pollution fault on my C5 Mk1, and it turned out that the rubber pipe that connected onto the EGR had a pinhole leak at one end. Michel found it, nipped the pipe back by about 1cm, and the fault has not returned since. It could be worth checking the rubber pipes along the firewall bulkhead.

How would i check for a leak like this? - would there be a hissing sound? sorry if its a stupid question, just im not sure, as I can (and do) do basic repairs but still a novice :)
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

You are chasing smoke if you do not get it read by a Lexia (not bog standard reader)...Lexia/Diabox systems are cheap and should be a basic part of the toolkit if you drive Pug/Citroen/DS
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting