Remember these.? All our yesterdays

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: Remember these.? All our yesterdays

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I remember Esso Golden, I also remember Esso oil being sold in pint and quart glass bottles, I don't think there was a deposit charged.

You could never quite get all the oil out of those bottles when topping up customer's cars on the forecourt so we used to stand them upside down in a gallon measure and use the dregs in the workshop until we were warned off by a trading standards officer who said we were short measuring the customers.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Love the MK1 Austin A40 Farina in that picture....

Others are an Anglia... An MO Oxford? and a Bedford CA Van if my eyes don't deceive...

I noted our local antiques /curio shop had some Esso memorabilia in the other day - including some enamel signs and some tiger tails :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Apologies folks I never tire of pictures of old petrol stations...what's with the white coat :?:

Yes Super Shell with the light blue globe must have been a cut above ordinary Shell, and miles better than Shell-Mex! (tongue in cheek of course!). The relevant prices 1964 could be 5s 0d for Super 4s 9d for Shell Gasoline and 4s 4d for Shell-Mex.

© National Railway Museum and SSPL Non Commercial Use

From the NRM/SSPL British Transport Commission Collection

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I love pictures of old petrol station forecourts, especially when they have a nice picture of an ADO16 standing at the pumps and sporting a rare 'A' suffix plate :)

Spot the Red-X dispensers too :)

is the Van a Standard 10?

Super Shell eventually became 5-star if I remember correctly... The 5-star pumps had bits of blue trim and blue globes...

Cars like the Rover P6 and other performance cars demanded the use of 5 star fuel whereas Japanese cars were quite happy on 2-star - one of their early selling points as 2-star was cheaper...

Anyone remember the 'mixer-pumps' that enjoyed some popularity in the 70s and 80s? They'd dispense either 2, 3 or 4-star fuel at the flick of a switch...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 17:48 Anyone remember the 'mixer-pumps' that enjoyed some popularity in the 70s and 80s? They'd dispense either 2, 3 or 4-star fuel at the flick of a switch...

Remember them Jim but the world wide web is devoid of pictures of them. Gone for ever now!

This is along the same linesbut not the three black buttons at the side of the pump!

https://www.shannons.com.au/library/ima ... stored.jpg

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

That van is certainly a Standard - & based on the 8/10 BUT whether that makes it a 10 (or an 8, for that matter) I'm not sure. Car model names tended not to be carried over to their van versions.

I've still got one of those "ICA" signs (they were self-adhesive plastic) - should I put it on eBay?

I got my 1st 3500S after the demise of 5* - I don't recall it being a problem.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'99 Cadillac Seville STS

Post by van ordinaire »

bobins wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 09:26 Public perception plays a big part in what type and colour of plastic are used in food packaging. The black food trays used in 'ready meals' is a good example. Although it would be perfectly acceptable to package them in any colour of tray to make recycling easier, tests always showed that the public perceived food looked better in black trays and would be put off buying them in other coloured trays.
As the saying goes : People are intelligent, but public are stupid. #-o

All of that goes out the window if all ready meals come in white, or clear, trays - & if that takes regulation, then so be it.
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'99 Cadillac Seville STS

Post by van ordinaire »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 09:54 The problem I see with plastic recycling is the coding, If they'd forget the HDPE, PVC, et-al and just have a simple numbering system at manufacture "Items numbered 1 to 5 go in the green bin, items 5 to 8 in the black bin." the public would be quite capable of sorting it before dumping it out.

There was such a system with a triangle arrow icon I think but it seems to have fallen out of use. . . .

No, still, in use - see Lidls' large yoghurt tubs! BUT what do those numbers mean?

What puzzled me though was there are 4 components, the tub, the foil top, the plastic lid & the card sleeve; the recycling info. is printed on the sleeve - which isn't mentioned; once that is removed (to be re-cycled sparately - applying common sense) there is no info on the tub or the lid to identify the plastic.
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
NewcastleFalcon

van ordinaire wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 23:35
I've still got one of those "ICA" signs (they were self-adhesive plastic) - should I put it on eBay?

You can get them for £11.99 at "I Say Ding Dong"

Maybe not a genuine antique like yours though!

Now what is ICA presumably the A is for Additive? edit...yes I found out-anyone else know or care to guess?

Google search brings up quite a few adverts and images which don't actually say what ICA stands for.

https://www.google.com/search?q=shell+w ... 88&bih=518

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Yes and why not throw in a bit of monochrome and a French car with one of the best "faces" ever put on a car if a touch glum looking, a group of happy workers and a petrol pump with an ICA sticker on it as a tenuous thread to our ramblings :-D

Keeps me amused :-D

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 01 Apr 2018, 09:15, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's a lovely atmospheric picture Neil :) Did it take all those mechanics to fix it I wonder?
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Remember these..?

The Car Sticker (you can still get them for that retro touch!)

https://sites.create-cdn.net/siteimages ... 00x300.jpg

What I would term a classic.....there are some awful ones though

I'm sure the FCF can come up with some examples...

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'99 Cadillac Seville STS

Post by van ordinaire »

I always liked Saab's "Made by Trolls in Trollhattan" - Of course when there were Saabs, trolls were an altogether more engaging species.

b-t-w, while that "I Say Ding Dong" "Shell with ICA" sticker is remarkably similar to sign on the French pump it is nothing like "mine" which appears on the (rather later) English one.
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
NewcastleFalcon

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 00:30
Now what is ICA presumably the A is for Additive? edit...yes I found out-anyone else know or care to guess?

Google search brings up quite a few adverts and images which don't actually say what ICA stands for.

https://www.google.com/search?q=shell+w ... 88&bih=518

Regards Neil

Just to tie up that loose end.......ICA stands for Ignition Control Additive. Certainly well promoted by Shell at the time.
http://archive.commercialmotor.com/arti ... e-ignition

Shell Premium petrol will in future contain what is termed ignition control additive (I.C.A.). Distribution of the new petrol through the pump started last Monday.
The chemical employed is tri-cresyl phosphate and its effect is to convert lead compounds deposited on the surface of the combustion chambers and the sparking plugs into lead phosphate complexes which are of higher melting point and greater electrical resistance. This prevents shorting over the pine insulation and the burning of the lead deposits which normally cause preignition, pinking and rough running of petrol engines.
The I.C.A. virtually fire-proofs the deposits, preventing them from glowing. Shell Petroleum, the parent company of Shell-Mex and B.P., Ltd., is responsible for the research behind this technical advance.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

ICA - interesting stuff...
Jim