Lidl and Aldi Car accessories

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Lidl and Aldi Car accessories

Post by CitroJim »

MikeT wrote: 17 Mar 2018, 14:04 Besides, my C5 interior glass seems to get far dirtier than the Xantia ever did.

Do you or any of your regular travelling companions smoke in the car Mike? I ask as when i used to i found i was having to clean the interior glass on a very regular basis but since I stopped I hardly ever have to in any of my cars now...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

CitroJim wrote: 18 Mar 2018, 08:12
MikeT wrote: 17 Mar 2018, 14:04 Besides, my C5 interior glass seems to get far dirtier than the Xantia ever did.

Do you or any of your regular travelling companions smoke in the car Mike? I ask as when i used to i found i was having to clean the interior glass on a very regular basis but since I stopped I hardly ever have to in any of my cars now...

That's why I'm comparing previous vehicles Jim. It is far more noticeable on the C5 glass for some reason.
crapday69
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 Tourer 1.6 eHDi VTR+NAV

Post by crapday69 »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 10:58 The impact wrench looks interesting but I have to say I'm not too impressed with Parkside tools, I've bought a few and although they do the job they're pretty much in the Trabant style of German engineering.

I was reading this when my son messaged me telling he was in the local life to his work and they had impact wrench's. As I was going to pick him up, I popped in and bought on. He said there where about 8 when he was in a couple of hours before, when I went in there where only 2 left. When I left that was down to 1 :).

Not used it, but it's a solid pice of kit.

Gary.
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

Unusually, went shopping on Tuesday this week, what a surprise, only about 7:30 & all the tills closed - this in a branch that's open to 9:00. However, there was the small matter of Easter eggs for the younger members of the family - so I pressed on to the next branch (a colleague, whose local branch it is) had told me that always keep one till open (it's bigger - & open to 10:00) & they actually had one impact wrench left. Looked a useful bit of kit, the idea of it being mains quite appealed as if you're doing more than changing a wheel, say, not sure how long the battery in a cordless one will last. Besides I having one at each end, as it were, quite appealed - especially at that price!
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
crapday69
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 Tourer 1.6 eHDi VTR+NAV

Post by crapday69 »

van ordinaire wrote: 30 Mar 2018, 22:38Looked a useful bit of kit, the idea of it being mains quite appealed as if you're doing more than changing a wheel, say, not sure how long the battery in a cordless one will last.

What if you used an inverter to convert the car battery to 230v then you could used it mobile too.

Gary.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

My son bought me a mains powered impact wrench, they have the potential to me more powerful than the battery ones and of course are much cheaper, this one is fairly hefty and heavy! but it won't shift everything, I have come to the conclusion that it exerts about the same force as a socket on a 3 foot flexy bar. I have been trying to change the rear dampers on the wife's 206, the nut came off OK but the bolt was securely rusted into the housing and I eventually used the 3' bar plus a 4' jack handle, that wouldn't undo it but it did move.

As it was loose on the damper I did the nut up tight with the wrench and managed to get it to move lengthways I then beat a box spanner to death trying to knock the bolt back again which I eventually did and after an exhausting 15 minutes or so got it undone.

The wrench is fine on wheel nuts and particularly anything with a long thread that's tight but don't expect it to move very large bolts/nuts.

Peter
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I've got an air one so I don't need the Lidl offering, roadside stuff I can manage quite well with a spider brace which has followed me around in all my cars for the last fifty + years.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I also have an air one but its not as good as this mains electric - although it was only cheap and my compressor is not man enough for long.

Peter
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Was in Lidl yesterday and noticed they had both the heated electric seat covers that I bought for my Ion back in stock, and the computer controlled 12v battery charger and conditioner that I bought probably a year ago back in stock for £12.99 - at a glance it appears to be the exact same model I have with the membrane buttons and LCD screen.

I can recommend the battery charger - maximum charge rate is 5 amps but it's an intelligent charger that can do pulsed reconditioning, charging, topping off and trickle all automatically - perfect to leave on a car that rarely gets driven as it can be left connected indefinitely.

It has rescued the Xantia's battery at least 6 times now when it has been left sitting a week or two too long without use!
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Aldi this week had an excellent selection of caravanning accessories...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
andy5
(Donor 2022)

Post by andy5 »

I cracked and bought the impact wrench on Tuesday.

On Monday evening it was as if the nearest Lidl hadn't had any of the offers stuff from the previous Thursday, so I went a bit further the next day and found a much larger branch.

Going by the weather forecast, it looks like tomorrow or Monday might be the day to try this out, swapping all the wheels over.
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'99 Cadillac Seville STS

Post by van ordinaire »

crapday69 wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 06:14
van ordinaire wrote: 30 Mar 2018, 22:38Looked a useful bit of kit, the idea of it being mains quite appealed as if you're doing more than changing a wheel, say, not sure how long the battery in a cordless one will last.

What if you used an inverter to convert the car battery to 230v then you could used it mobile too.

Gary.

Had thought about that, as both the C15 & red Cherokee carry invertors (ultra cheap from stall @ Great Dorset Steam fair, primarily for running/re-charging the laptop) but my main issue was, not wanting to stop partway through a job to re-charge the battery)
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'99 Cadillac Seville STS

Post by van ordinaire »

Peter.N. wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 10:24 My son bought me a mains powered impact wrench, they have the potential to me more powerful than the battery ones and of course are much cheaper, this one is fairly hefty and heavy! but it won't shift everything, I have come to the conclusion that it exerts about the same force as a socket on a 3 foot flexy bar. I have been trying to change the rear dampers on the wife's 206, the nut came off OK but the bolt was securely rusted into the housing and I eventually used the 3' bar plus a 4' jack handle, that wouldn't undo it but it did move.

As it was loose on the damper I did the nut up tight with the wrench and managed to get it to move lengthways I then beat a box spanner to death trying to knock the bolt back again which I eventually did and after an exhausting 15 minutes or so got it undone.

The wrench is fine on wheel nuts and particularly anything with a long thread that's tight but don't expect it to move very large bolts/nuts.

Peter

Much cheaper for sure (even though I got my battery one for a ridiculous £45! :-D ) but surprised they're heavier - as had always assumed it was the battery that caused the weight penalty. Used my cordless one today for the 1st time (as opposed to a trial run) today & was surprised, if not a little disappointed, that it really stuggled with 2 of the nuts on the 2nd wheel - & one it wouldn't shift at all, despite (a) the wheel had only been put back, with Coppaslip, @ Christmas (b) it wasn't THAT tight!

Wouldn't have thought there were many 21mm+ nuts on your average car - unless you mean hub nuts?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'99 Cadillac Seville STS

Post by van ordinaire »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 10:30 I've got an air one so I don't need the Lidl offering, roadside stuff I can manage quite well with a spider brace which has followed me around in all my cars for the last fifty + years.

Well lucky you, but as a garage is still something I dream of, a compressor remains a fantasy.

Do agree with the roadside stuff though, as have a variety of suitable manual wrenches spread among the fleet (including a posh chrome, folding spider in the Eldorado. Saw a handy ratchet device, at Essen, that would fit any 1/2" drive - if I still had one of those 3 sockets + a 1/2" square spiders I'd have probably treated myself. That said, still toying with adding the cordless rattle gun to the stuff in the back of the Cherokee, simply 'cos I've got one & it is easier - especially off-road! :wink: :roll:
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Lidl are doing a few car bits next Sunday (15/04), which also coincides with a Citroen rally somewhere!:

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-Offe ... 614&week=2
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!