Forums still dead ?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Re: Forums still dead ?

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

ekjdm14 wrote: 25 Mar 2018, 21:23There will always be a far better ratio of enthusiasts to nobheads on a dedicated forum
Peter.N. wrote: 26 Mar 2018, 10:13 My phone is for talking on.... my camera takes pictures
Definitely a :rofl2: for ekjdm and a =D> for Peter N in my book :-D

GiveMeABreak wrote: 26 Mar 2018, 17:56 ....I choose not to read the papers, cannot abide advertising
Probably best for one's sanity and a positive outlook on life too, much of the Media 'feed', be it overt or subliminal has nothing to do with a positive state of mind for the 'end Viewer'... often quite the opposite.

There used to be an old saying "Do Unto Others as you Would Wish to be Done Unto".
I fear these days that a whole generation are growing up thinking "Do Unto Others in Line with Your Negative Expectations of how they will do Unto You given half a chance"

I do use Facebook, but I wouldn't dream of putting my real name 'out there'. For years there was publicity about an "Identity Card" idea, are these social media sites just one of a number of ways of tools available to the Authorities for use in 'Tracking' individuals?
Puxa
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur wrote: 26 Mar 2018, 20:35

There used to be an old saying "Do Unto Others as you Would Wish to be Done Unto".
I fear these days that a whole generation are growing up thinking "Do Unto Others in Line with Your Negative Expectations of how they will do Unto You given half a chance"
I like that :lol:

For years there was publicity about an "Identity Card" idea, are these social media sites just one of a number of ways of tools available to the Authorities for use in 'Tracking' individuals?

Yep, but I don't s'pose the majority care about that. :roll:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

zucker.jpg
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

bobins wrote: 26 Mar 2018, 20:16 :rant2:
How can it be right that my contact details and - quite possibly - text messages that I've sent to friends are on FBs servers when I've never had anything to do with FB, or any other of the social media apps ? FCF is as far 'into' social media as I ever want to go, and I have no interest in FB, Twitter, Whatsapp, or any other cleverly designed data-acquiring peer-pressure driven apps....... yet still my 'data' has been mined. :rant2:
It is easy to forget that although we may take all the precautions we can regarding privacy at our end, there is nothing we can do about what happens the information at the recipient’s end!

If the recipient has lax security or has FB or another social media app, they may have allowed access to their contacts (WhatsApp) and of course that leaves you completely exposed - simples!

How many of us have spam email arrive from people we’ve never heard of? - not because we are necessarily the weak link, but because one of our colleagues or friends may not be very IT savvy and has used their email for every survey and freebie offer under the sun, and probably got infected with spyware / malware, laying open their contacts or address book.

That’s how a lot of this stuff gets about.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote: 26 Mar 2018, 21:23zucker.jpg

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Michel wrote: 26 Mar 2018, 16:52
I use facebook, but I've been well aware since the start that data is mined and used. That's why nothing about me that could be classed as useful has ever been accurate. My DOB for example, is actually the sort code of a long-closed bank account..

I don't profess to know the inner working of FB, but surely - if they've got the capapbility of harvesting your and your friend's messages (SMS and other sources ?) - they've got the capapbility of picking up messages that say 'Happy Birthday Mike' and building up a picture of when your birthday actually is ? Even if they don't actually do that now, surely they've got the capability ? <Genuine question, by the way, as I don't actually know what FB is capable of>.
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

bobins wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 07:09
Michel wrote: 26 Mar 2018, 16:52
I use facebook, but I've been well aware since the start that data is mined and used. That's why nothing about me that could be classed as useful has ever been accurate. My DOB for example, is actually the sort code of a long-closed bank account..

I don't profess to know the inner working of FB, but surely - if they've got the capapbility of harvesting your and your friend's messages (SMS and other sources ?) - they've got the capapbility of picking up messages that say 'Happy Birthday Mike' and building up a picture of when your birthday actually is ? Even if they don't actually do that now, surely they've got the capability ? <Genuine question, by the way, as I don't actually know what FB is capable of>.

I don't know. I've certainly had a load of people wish me happy birthday on the wrong day but none on my real birthday yet. It's irrelevant now as I've binned it off.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

bobins wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 07:09 <Genuine question, by the way, as I don't actually know what FB is capable of>.

I don't think any of us do Bobins... Although we're finding out...

I've just started a download of all my data and as a prolific user of Facebook I'll be most interested to see what it contains...

As I've said before, there is nothing on Facebook I'm not happy for the whole world to see so I'm not that bothered...

And, anyway, it's far too late now... In the 10 years I've been on Facebook any damage will already have long been done and there's precious little that can be done to mitigate that...

This means there is no reason to suddenly stop using an social media - the horse has well and truly already bolted...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Just downloaded my Facebook Data.... No surprises found within...

I'm happy...
Jim

bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

CitroJim wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 07:59
As I've said before, there is nothing on Facebook I'm not happy for the whole world to see so I'm not that bothered...

And, anyway, it's far too late now... In the 10 years I've been on Facebook any damage will already have long been done and there's precious little that can be done to mitigate that...

This means there is no reason to suddenly stop using an social media - the horse has well and truly already bolted...

But what of us people who've never had anything to do with FB (and other social media), has our data been harvested via contact with people who do use FB ? I don't have an account with FB so I can't just click a button to get a download of 'my' dataset :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

bobins wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 08:13 But what of us people who've never had anything to do with FB (and other social media), has our data been harvested via contact with people who do use FB ?
I can only comment on my dataset but I see nothing in mine to suggest it knows anything about people I know who do not have accounts on Facebook...

My contacts list includes a few names and phone numbers of non-Facebook people/organisations but that's it... Nothing else and especially not email addresses...

That data should be private to me... And not accessible to anyone such as CA and the like. That is the real question we need an answer to: just how private is this data?

That, for me, has not been adequately answered yet.
Jim

Quackers
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5 3.0 V6 Exclusive + Navi
2009 Citroen C6 2.7 V6 Exclusive + Lounge Pack
2007 Citroen C5 2.2 (173) Exclusive + Navi
2000 Citroen Xantia Activa

Post by Quackers »

I much prefer forums instead of Facebook. They have the advantage of pinning posts for information and its easier to search for past posts and are just generally better organised. I'm not a fan of facebook, i did delete my account a few years back but came back on due to all my friends organising things like wedding events and stag parties on it and i was the awkward one. I would delete again in a flash if it was not for the Xantia Activa, Citroen Car Club and C5 Owners facebook groups being on there, sometimes you see things pop up you don't here, especially car's for sale.
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

A question for those with a better understanding of the situation than I have:
*IF* FB have harvested data about me from contact I've(1) made to FB users, then how does the data that's produced differ from data gathered during the paper's phone tapping scandal ? It's the concept I'm asking about as opposed the actual nitty-gritty of what's acquired.
(1) - I'm not a registered FB user.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

While there's argument that people willingly give their personal data to companies which profit from it, it's a master stroke of FB to introduce "tag a friend" where you name people in any photo's uploaded.

"Six degrees of separation is the idea that all living things and everything else in the world are six or fewer steps away from each other so that a chain of "a friend of a friend" statements can be made to connect any two people in a maximum of six steps."
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

The whole concept of FB is a masterstroke. If you don't sign up like all your friends then you'll be a Nobby-no-mates and no one will contact you or like you any more.
Superbly engineered peer pressure at it's best whose primary function is revenue generation for other people. Fantastic !