Old Electrics (CitroJim maybe?)

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Old Electrics (CitroJim maybe?)

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

Having noted Citrojim's thread featuring his Radiogram and various other bits of older Electrical....

I was wondering if he, or anyone else 'in the know' with this sort of thing, could point me in the right direction regarding an old Turntable.

Its been ferreted out of the loft after at least 10years up there, in the course of clearing out. On testing, there's no sound.

I tried both connecting it up via RCA to my 1990's Midi/Amp*, and also tried connecting it directly to a 240v Hi-Fi speaker (of same Midi). Its controls do not include a volume function so its clearly meant to be teamed with an Amp.

There's a little sound 'leakage' (?) just audible close to the Stylus, but nothing through the wire; the connections there are all good. The wire itself is a bit weird, its got a pair of RCA's, simple enough, I did clean 'em up with wire wool, and a third wire in the middle of the three, looks a bit like a Radio Aerial wire, but can't be as the Unit is only a Turntable.
It appears to be a nice quality unit, the Missus remembers using it at her previous home (before I knew her) and its highly unlikely it was 'non-working' when put away.

If it can be made to work its going to be sold, if not if anyone wants to lay claim to it, Jim?, I'll make a note to drop it by next time I'm up that way.

I've not had it apart as yet. Other than the lack of sound, it spins up and the functions & arm all work just fine.

*Sony HST-D501
That's Boney M on the Turntable by the way.... strewth!
Attachments
20180312_142950.JPG
20180312_143154.JPG
Puxa
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Old Electrics (CitroJim maybe?)

Post by myglaren »

The third wire is an earth wire, should be connected to an earth point on the amplifier. Prevents mains hum (feedback loop).

You may need a phono preamp or an amplifier with a phono input for it depending on the cartridge - as it is a Dual this is almost certainly the case.
See if you can find a mate to try it on their equipment - presuming they have an amp with a phono input.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Yes - will need a "phono pre-amp" to lift the 3mV cartridge output to the 100-400mV level required by Aux/Line input. Also applies the correct RIAA equalisation for the signal.
Alternatively, use an amplifier with a Phono input, where the pre-amp will be built in. Bit rare these days.
Chris
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)

Thanks Chris & Steve, much appreciated you putting me 'in the know' ! 'tis good to know that its 'all good', I've just not got the correct equipment. I shall see if I can arrange use of the requisite Phono Pre Amp.
Puxa
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's a pretty decent deck... I have a phono preamp here that's surplus and is yours for the price of a forum donation :)

email me your address and I'll pop it in the post for you ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)

Thanks Jim, but we'd both only be throwing good money after bad.

As much at its a lovely bit of kit, it appears that like so much these days that's properly made, they have no value; this similar one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GARRARD-2025 ... 1438.l2649 failed to attract any bids at £25 start.

I've found a twin RCA to 3/8 converter and a Phono Jack, so I'm going to plug it into daughter's 1970's (approx) Guitar Amp, see if I get any 'joy'

but if you can use it feel free. Don't suppose Mike wants to pick it up at a convenient motorway junction along his very likely route for the welder? FOC. Can supply him contact details for easy liaison.

I've turned on the 'Email Notifications' for this Thread now, so I won't miss replies as I did your previous one. It'd be a travesty to just skip it.
Puxa
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 14:26 I've found a twin RCA to 3/8 converter and a Phono Jack, so I'm going to plug it into daughter's 1970's (approx) Guitar Amp, see if I get any 'joy'
You may hear it very faintly but if if it has a magnetic cartridge the output is so low you are unlikely to hear much at all on anything but an amp designed for magnetic cartridge inputs and as said earlier, they're rare now... Guitar amps are a little more sensitive than a modern stereo amp but not nearly enough to handle a magnetic cartridge plus the response curve is all wrong...

Records are mastered in such a way as to tailor the frequency response in such a way as to limit groove excursions and to limit noise - especially rumble from the turntable. This is called pre-emphasis and is standardised by the RIAA. On playback the signal from the cartridge is passed through a de-emphasis network to restore the correct frequency response... If you listen to a record without RIAA equalisation it sounds awful - very 'toppy' (thin) and lacking in bass...

As a side note, this is the basis of Dolby noise reduction on tape decks but in the opposite way... FM radio uses pre and de-emphasis too. Both tape and radio is to limit high frequency noise - something tape suffers from badly and radio too when the signal is a bit weak...

If you hear nothing at all from your deck then assume the cartridge is duff - good ones are now expensive and high output ceramic cartridges that will drive a modern amp ( and don't need RIAA equalisation) hail from China, tend to be a disappointment and may not even fit your deck...

What you hear when you place your ear very close to the deck whilst playing a record is not electrical at all but acoustic (mechanical)...
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 14:26 but if you can use it feel free. Don't suppose Mike wants to pick it up at a convenient motorway junction along his very likely route for the welder? FOC. Can supply him contact details for easy liaison.

It would certainly find a comfortable and loving home in my museum of old electronics here :) And if easy arrangements can be made on the way to/from welder collection that would be wonderful... I'd be happy to make a forum donation on your behalf for it ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)

CitroJim wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 16:33 It would certainly find a comfortable and loving home in my museum of old electronics here :) And if easy arrangements can be made on the way to/from welder collection that would be wonderful... I'd be happy to make a forum donation on your behalf for it ;)
I'll not bother trying with the Guitar Amp then. I'll send a PM to Mike with my phone number and we'll see if we can arrange something Jim :-D
Puxa
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 16:59
CitroJim wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 16:33 It would certainly find a comfortable and loving home in my museum of old electronics here :) And if easy arrangements can be made on the way to/from welder collection that would be wonderful... I'd be happy to make a forum donation on your behalf for it ;)
I'll not bother trying with the Guitar Amp then. I'll send a PM to Mike with my phone number and we'll see if we can arrange something Jim :-D

Brilliant :) Thanks ever so much!!!
Jim