Remember these.? All our yesterdays

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Remember these.? All our yesterdays

Post by myglaren »

I don't recognise the coffee shop, nor much if Silver Street, despite going to school a couple of hundred yards from where that photo was taken.
Rarely go there anymore, only to visit brother every few years and don't go into town if I can avoid it. Awful place :(
The Nationwide used to be a café run by my schoolfriends parents. Maric's café (Mary & Richard, their eldest daughter was also called Maric)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Ram pump.jpg
I did have a milk churn laying at the bottom of the field, it has mysteriously disappeared, that's obviously why. We were using it when we reinstated the well about 6 or 7 years ago.

We found this ram pump in a shed by a river deep in a forest in the far north of Scotland, I believe it used to supply water to a nearby hotel on the A9. There were a number of smaller ones down here a few years ago but this is the biggest one I have ever seen.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That ram pump is a lovely find Peter... I have an old plumbing book in my collection and it describes, in its chapter on wells and water supply, exactly how those work :)

It's a book that I've had since I was a kid as it was (is) a subject that always interests me... It's 'The complete Plumber and Sanitary Engineer' and goes into great detail on every aspect... Including septic tanks...

The making of wiped joints on lead pipes is a particular interest and something I'd love to have a go at doing...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

CitroJim wrote: 06 Mar 2018, 08:28 That ram pump is a lovely find Peter... I have an old plumbing book in my collection and it describes, in its chapter on wells and water supply, exactly how those work :)

It's a book that I've had since I was a kid as it was (is) a subject that always interests me... It's 'The complete Plumber and Sanitary Engineer' and goes into great detail on every aspect... Including septic tanks...

The making of wiped joints on lead pipes is a particular interest and something I'd love to have a go at doing...

I've done a few of those Jim, those old lead pipes didn't like the frost so quite often needed patching up, also used the same stuff on car bodywork before the advent of two pack fillers.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 06 Mar 2018, 10:49
CitroJim wrote: 06 Mar 2018, 08:28

I've done a few of those Jim, those old lead pipes didn't like the frost so quite often needed patching up, also used the same stuff on car bodywork before the advent of two pack fillers.

Excellent :) Using tallow and a proper wiping cloth I trust ;)

What did they call it on cars? lead loading was it? I recall they used to roughly shape it using a rasp!!!

When I was a kid and deeply into sea-fishing I used to make my own lead weights by melting down scrap lead in a proper plumber's ladle and heated over a Primus stove or a paraffin blowlamp...

I'd then pour the molten lead into a sand mould with a loop of heavy-gauge copper wire (recovered from old electrical cable) to tie the line to...

Today's H and S brigade would chap their hands from all the wringing they'd do at the thought of such a thing today... :lol:

I'll get them a nice tub of Vaseline to heal them...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

On balance it goes in here, although Edvard Greig, of Piano Concerto fame, does supply the music :)

The best bit....has to be spotty dog’s walk, excellent aerobic exercise if you give it a try. About 7 mins in Spotty makes his entrance :-D

Probably one for the over 50’s although spotty dog was a big hit today with our newest generation :)

Regards Neil

PS and if you hear anyone up here use the phrase "spotty dog" in general conversation it means excellent, brilliant, great etc.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

just in case anyone's unaware, the HCVS http://hcvs.co.uk/ do various Lorry 'Runs' throughout the year in various locations, they're well worth attending. 'tis lovely to see the old wagons being used.

I've been to the London-Brighton and the Henley-Quainton a number of times. One day I'll get to the Trans-Pennine.
Puxa
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 11:02 just in case anyone's unaware, the HCVS http://hcvs.co.uk/ do various Lorry 'Runs' throughout the year in various locations, they're well worth attending. 'tis lovely to see the old wagons being used.

I've been to the London-Brighton and the Henley-Quainton a number of times. One day I'll get to the Trans-Pennine.

Now I'd enjoy that as again, in my view the older lorries and commercials are far easier on the eye than the modern stuff :D
Jim

van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

Bit harder on the biceps & calf muscles though.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

They're coming back, and in the news today.

What, I hear you ask?

Deposits refundable on return of bottles.....(cans too i think)

But as well as pop bottles, the humble lavatory cleaner in the 1960's also came in "bottles" for which you could get your deposit back on return. As this advert proudly proclaims :-D

https://marketlavingtonmuseum.files.wor ... e00233.jpg

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 28 Mar 2018, 16:58 They're coming back, and in the news today.

What, I hear you ask?

Deposits refundable on return of bottles.....(cans too i think)

About time too!

Last Saturday we did a litter pick in Linford wood - the venue for my local parkrun - and we were all shocked over the number of drink bottles (both plastic and glass) and drink cans we picked up... In an hour we'd filled 24 large sacks with litter :shock: :evil:

If there was a deposit on those bottles and cans we'd have come away from the litter pick millionaires...

I always thought fast-food packaging and Costa cups were the biggest problem but our litter pick disputes this...

We were all utterly shocked and disgusted at how badly littered 'our' wood was and how so many seem to disrespect a local beauty spot and green area within the city...

On one litter pick we once found a full box of medical 'sharps' :evil: How the hell do they end up in a wood?

Just like on this particular pick a whole stash of half-used tins of paint were uncovered in the undergrowth...
Jim

bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

It'll be interesting to see if the planned introduction of refundable deposits on bottles (and other recyclables) comes to fruition. The kerbside collection of recyclables, certainly down this neck of the woods, includes bottles - and those bottles go to the West Sussex materials recycling facility and are recycled by a private contractor who no doubt signed a multi-million pound multi-year contract to recycle all they can and sell on those recycled materials for profit - that profit helps to fund the contract. Take away a chunk of that profit (due to less recyclable material coming through the plant), and the contract becomes a little less viable, with the effect that kerbside recycling either is reduced, or the local authority has to make up the financial shortfall - or both. If the local authority has to make up the shortfall..... have a guess who'll pay for that in the end !?!! :roll:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Our local authority collects almost everything bottle and can related for recycling so in Milton Keynes at least there's no excuse...
Jim

bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

CitroJim wrote: 28 Mar 2018, 17:49 Our local authority collects almost everything bottle and can related for recycling so in Milton Keynes at least there's no excuse...

Yeh-buttt....... my point being, if the local authority gets less recycling through its recycling plant because everbody is getting their 5 pence refund on their bottles and tins at the shops, then the local authority's recycling operation suddenly gets a lot less profitable. Something's got to give - do you close down the authority's recycling operation, or do you make the residents pay more to keep it going ?
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Ah yes, I see now Bobins...

Good point and presumably why the Government are going for a bit of consultation with the relevant bodies before implementing anything...

Or one hopes that is what it is...

But again, those recycling operations will still be needed to recycle the stuff returned under a deposit scheme - and their funding for that will presumably come from the companies responsible for the contents of the bottles and cans...
Jim