Remember these.? All our yesterdays

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Remember these.? All our yesterdays

Post by CitroJim »

I love how that old pump is now serving as a plant stand :) makes it look quite lovely...

Not seen on of those 'modern' AA boxes for ages now... I wonder if any remain in service?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

That 'Duchess of Atholl' rings a bell with me in the distant past, don't quite remember why. I remember seeing the 'Golden Arrow' when it first started service. my grandparents had a small holding alongside the Victoria line at Bromley and I remember us all rushing outside to see it go past (the train not the smallholding).

Peter
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

My dad had an Hornby "00" model of it, as with most of the more significant locomotives he and my grandad worked on.
Remember it well.
Saw it in York station many years ago.
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

I like the Duchess of Atholl painting, lovely capture of the smoke and steam, and appropriate for now a wintry scene.
Peter.N. wrote: 04 Mar 2018, 10:59 I remember seeing the 'Golden Arrow' when it first started service. my grandparents had a small holding alongside the Victoria line at Bromley and I remember us all rushing outside to see it go past. (the train not the smallholding).
Peter

Here's a picture I found of the last steam hauled "Golden Arrow" on 11th June 1961 at Bromley South.

From Here http://www.germansteam.co.uk/1962/Bulle ... ds-SE.html and taken on a Brownie 127 as the photographer recounted
These are amongst my very earliest photos, all taken with a Brownie 127. They are of the last days of Bulleid pacifics working the Golden Arrow and Boat trains on the South Eastern Division of the old Southen Region of BR. Quality not good, but they are cherished memories to me. One of which is a very clear memory of the last steam hauled up Golden Arrow on June 11th 1961: the 4 EPB on a local train meant those of us on the bridge at Bromley South has to rush to change sides to get a clear photo of 34100!

Bulleid West Country Class pacific number 34100, "Appledore", heading the last steam locomotive
hauled down Golden Arrow pullman train through Bromley South on 11th June 1961.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's a gorgeous picture of Appledore hauling the Golden Arrow Neil :) And considering it was taken on a 127 Brownie - fantastic quality and having a great atmosphere about it...

Old monochrome pictures like that are wonderful ;) They're what vinyl records are to CDs...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Lovely picture. Look at all those tracks! There are four at Petts wood where I lived as a kid I thought they were all like that, third rail electric too. Axminster until fairly recently only had one - now we have two :shock: There was a huge marshalling yard when we came came in 1070, its an industrial estate now :(

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

We have four tracks on our railway here; the fast and slow lines. Effectively they're two lines running parallel and just past Milton Keynes they diverge... One carries on as the West Coast Mainline and the other, the local commuter line, becomes a branch-line loop to Northampton before rejoining the West Coast Mainline again at Rugby...

Pendolinos ply the fast line and little, but incredibly fast, electric multiple units run on the local line.
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 04 Mar 2018, 16:37 A brownie 127

Another example of the one billion and one uses found for Bakelite ;)

127 film was quite a large format and thus even cheap little cameras could produce good images... Unlike the horrid little 110 and to an extent, 35mm...

I once acquired a 127 Brownie that had been my grandparents. It had a partially exposed film in it...

It had been perhaps 20 years since that camera had been last used. Out of curiosity I developed the film and was rewarded with some quite good and hitherto unseen pictures of my family from long ago :D
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Peter mentioned Milk Churns, on the Snow Good thread. They are now a relic of the past but I remember them well at the roadside. The one I most remember was a wooden platform, easy climable height designed of course for easy loading onto wagons.

This looks a more sanitised and maybe staged image from wiki, but many were also brick/concrete/stone contructions. Many probably remain as unnoticed roadside architecture overgrown or rotted away. Now that I've thought about it next trip out I'll be noticing them now!

Milk churns on stand, Hollybed Street - geograph.org.uk - 833701 [CC BY-SA 2.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)], by Bob Embleton (geograph.org.uk), from Wikimedia Commons

Like this wagon too coutesy of DM Clarkson Biggar Scotland...

and these are nice too

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Three Fords and four Bedfords, the one on far right is of the type that was my daily drive in the army in Egypt Bedford RL the one next to it is a Bedford of the O type possibly OY depending on its length.

I was doing vehicle inspections back then and we were 'ordered' to find reasons to class a hundred trucks a month as BLR (Beyond local repair) so that they could be disposed of locally instead of shipped back to the UK when Colonel Nasser called time on the British garrisons there.

BLR was found when a vehicle had three category C faults, a category C fault could be anything from a single broken leaf in a road spring to a loose rivet in a chassis.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Oh that brings back memories. Every farm round here had a milk stand, in fact there are still a few in existence, a farm just up the road has one but its used to put the recycling on now. There were I think six or seven dairy farms in the village when we moved here, there is one now.

The farm we have to drive through to get here had Dairy Shorthorns and the farmer could tell you the history of every one, he bred most of them. He is long gone, in fact the farm has changed hands at least four times since we lived here, its now largely a vineyard. I miss the animals but not the six inches of slurry you had to walk through to open the gate. :o

I remember those Thames Traders, noisy things, a bit later we got the Bedford TK they sounded lovely.

Peter
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Not a stand for milk churns, although there were lots of them around but mostly wooden constructions but a thing for mounting horses.
It was much bigger in the past and IIRC contained a water trough for the horses.
Here in Whitby, but a shadow of it's former self.
NewcastleFalcon

I will have walked past that many times and probably not even noticed it!

Last time we were in Whitby had coffee and cake here and fish and chips here

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

You won't see milkchurns abandoned by the side of the road - have you any idea what they fetch at antique fairs?

I've still got my Hornby "00" Duchess of Athol, probably collectible - but not worth as much as a churn.

Ian Allen published a whole load of bus books too AND aircraft - I think.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o