Snow good!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Snow good!

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I have not had to drive today (I have a few days off, as if I did not use them up I would lose them), but I have snow chains in my van and in my car. I have only had to use them once, but they do work well when you know how to use them.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

Okay, that Land Rover looks like it could be a huge amount of fun in the current conditions!

I had a good old play back in the day when our road looked very much like that, driving this:
DSCI0098.JPG
Much to my surprise, it didn't even struggle with it...Was only when we got to the other end that we discovered that the road was actually officially closed.

That thing was absolutely epic in the snow. Classic combination I guess, light weight, skinny tyres, decent ground clearance, full-time four wheel drive with centre diff-lock and perfect gearing. Never did find what the limit was - sufficient that I always ran out of nerve before I reached it anyway.

It also had the most ridiculously effective heater of any car I've ever had. To the extent that it actually melted the louvres in the windscreen demister vents!

For all it made total sense at the time, I still really, really regret selling that car.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

IMG_20180302_092143820.jpg
Didn't have as much trouble getting our car out as our friends did! :shock:
Richard W
doctle
My Cars: 2008 Laguna 1.5 DCi

Post by doctle »

Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 03 Mar 2018, 09:23, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed URL Tag
Oh buggle
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Sally snow corniche!
Own Work
Own Work
I went for a lovely run in the snow this morning wearing knobbly trail shoes :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

CitroJim wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 09:11 Sally snow corniche!

saxocorniche1.jpg

I went for a lovely run in the snow this morning wearing knobbly trail shoes :D

Pfft, that's nothing Jim.

Here is the Xantia before I dug it out today... :-D
IMG_0590.JPG
She's all clean and clear now - and after a couple of weeks without being started and nearly a week buried under snow it started on the first turn of the engine! =D>

I decided to dig the Xantia out today as I need to use it tomorrow and I was worried the battery would be flat again!
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
doctle
My Cars: 2008 Laguna 1.5 DCi

Post by doctle »

I have 2 feet of snow on my lane and there's 4 feet of snow at the road. I have spent the last 4 days talking to only the wife, she has opinions about stuff and can talk for hours, who knew?
Oh buggle
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Mandrake wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 11:00 Pfft, that's nothing Jim.

:lol: Yes, but to us softie southerners it's a lot ;)

Yours is a seriously impressive load I must say Simon.. Amazed the Ion is still visible!
doctle wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 11:04 I have 2 feet of snow on my lane and there's 4 feet of snow at the road. I have spent the last 4 days talking to only the wife, she has opinions about stuff and can talk for hours, who knew?
:rofl2:

Sadly, our parkrun was cancelled this morning :( Not due to snow on the course itself - it was lovely powdery snow that's magical to run in - but because the roads approaching the area, especially the car parks, were so treacherous that they were considered dangerous for the large numbers of runners we were expecting... Safety of all is paramount at all times... Today we could not guarantee it...

I never got to wear this today as a result :( I was to be duty Run Director today and now have the dubious honour of being one of the very few RDs who has had to order a cancellation... In all our history it's only happened twice - both times due to snow and ice...
Own Work
Own Work
I get to wear it again on the 7th April :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

myglaren wrote: 28 Feb 2018, 17:34 2mph when moving at all but mostly stationary, cars blocking the T-junctions so a nice little gridlock - pillocks!
....crazy to see all the abandoned cars & vans, the slaloming off-roaders and madly spinning wheels gaining no traction.

Son generally has nothing but contempt for the C5 but today was full of praise, he had without difficulty driven past loads of stuck "posh" cars and was only late due to the roads being clogged with barely moving cars.
Saw plenty of that on our travels yesterday, noting plenty of the following ....

The "my 4WD won't get into trouble so I'll drive like conditions are normal" pillock. The worst offender was an Army Land Rover, with appropriate plates, as little as 3 cars lengths behind me at 20mph as we left Hospital after an appointment (I quickly let him by).

The "I'll come up to a junction and brake for it as normal from 20mph with 20yards to stop in" pillock.

The "I've had a very slight shunt and will leave my car in the middle of the lane of a main road where it happened; while at least a quarter mile tailback grows behind me.... I can't possibly drive somewhere out of the way to exchange details" pillock

The "my drive wheels are spinning as I pull away, so I'll give it the heavy right foot, rather than change up" pillock

Also noted lots and lots of cars in B&Q and Asda.... priorities eh! [try & use your local hardware store in preference where possible, in my experience they're usually cheaper and the service is far superior]

But full marks to the driver of the modern Nissan Coupe, something sporty (a 300 maybe) who did no more than 30mph on our local 60mph limit main road. Its 5miles to the Dual Carriageway and was treacherous at best. I can't imagine there haven't been many times he's driven it that slow for that long; shame it was grey.

I did take the precaution of packing a Spade and of having the 'Dash Cam' on (which is actually my phone, on Video mode, on a Windscreen Bracket), its a bit 'Heath Robinson' but for £2.49 for the bracket, it works well.

A bizarre moment for me.... coming down a 60mph rural road, wanting to turn right to visit MiL, I noted that the HGV behind me had heeded my extremely early signal and backed off. However, having slowed to about 10mph on a slight downhill, to my horror a stream of 3 cars appeared coming the other way (there's a bend, so 'visible range' is only about 200yards); can HGV man stop? ....am I gonna take the risk? No. Continue beyond the turning, switch to the wrong side of the road immediately beyond the traffic stream to let him by... blooming eck, a fourth car has appeared and I'm on his side of the road, a 1970's Volvo (haven't seen one of them on the road in yonks!) in an appropriate period shade of orange. Stick it in reverse, back it into Mum's junction, get out of the way

No such posh tyres, or posh car for me but a 405 with Kumho's on the front driven sensibly, with 'crazy long' stopping distances allowed, very light use of brakes & throttle, plenty of gentle gear-changes and 100% concentration particularly passing oncoming traffic and junctions, no problem for 30+miles, 2/3 of it on urban and country roads.
Attachments
Local Scene FCF.JPG
Local Scene FCF 2.JPG
Local Scene FCF 3.JPG
Dash Cam FCF.JPG
Puxa
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

CitroJim wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 12:33 :lol: Yes, but to us softie southerners it's a lot ;)

Yours is a seriously impressive load I must say Simon.. Amazed the Ion is still visible!
Only because it was cleared off and driven earlier that day. :lol: The Xantia has sat since before the snow arrived and therefore had a full accumulation of snow... :twisted:

The roads are clearing up nicely now, all the roads I've been on today are cleared and gritted so we're on track for work opening again on Monday!
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

FCF Car Snow Art

Bobins did a Number 1

and I've just done a number 2 :!:
N falcon Own Work
N falcon Own Work
Number 3's invited :-D :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Apparently a road full of 5ft drifts is no impediment to your cycle ride (it's not me!)
IMG_20180303_142601789.jpg
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

RichardW wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 22:15 Apparently a road full of 5ft drifts is no impediment to your cycle ride (it's not me!)

Tried it once on deep snow and I found it a bit lethal as all my bikes have clip-in pedals and I found that the finite time required between a slide starting, unclipping from the pedal and the getting a foot down was the difference between staying upright and in control or ending up in an undignified heap in the snow :lol:

It's all thawing rapidly here now... I went for a decent run this morning, still wearing trail shoes, and at times running in the deep wet slush was hard work...

Some well-used pavements were covered in hard-packed snow and ice and that really was quite treacherous, especially as it was starting to melt...

At this rate of thaw I hope to be out on my bike later...

Throughout all of this, none of my cars have moved an inch. I've not driven since last Tuesday... I've gone everywhere I've needed to by bike or foot...

Riding a bike in a blizzard is great fun!
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Snow good can almost be put away now....little chance now of any more snow car art entries. Thimgs back to normal...not quite.

Had to do a bit of very early public transport this morning though only to find I had to walk 5 miles home as the bus company claimed that the roads had not been cleared sufficiently wide enough to allow safe passage for the bus on the country roads should anything be coming the other way. Hint these are not the world's busiest highways, and the road was clear!

There's only one word for that "Complete Bo**ocks" from our friends at Deutsche Bahn!
( acknowledgement for the attempted humour goes to Sid Wadell for his colemanballs..."There's only one word for it..."World Class Darts")

You could look upon it as a theraputic walk I suppose!

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 05 Mar 2018, 09:29, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 05 Mar 2018, 09:22 Had to do a bit of very early public transport this morning though only to find I had to walk 5 miles home as the buses claimed that the roads had not been cleared sufficiently wide enough to allow safe passage for the bus on the country roads should anything be coming the other way. Hint these are not the world's busiest highways, and the road was clear!

That's a very imaginative excuse I must say :twisted:
Jim