Remember these.? All our yesterdays

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Remember these.? All our yesterdays

Post by Peter.N. »

I remember Ian Allen handbooks, little ones you could put in your pocket, I think they did them for things other than railways as well.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 22:10 Does the name Ian Allan mean anything to you....

Does it ever! It's a bit like asking if the name Eddy Merckx means anything to me :D

I still have a few 'Locospotters Annuals' from when I was a lad...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Peter.N. wrote: 28 Feb 2018, 11:45 1956 driving license.jpg1959 driving license.jpg
Peter
Sorry, the one where I passed is missing.
Peter, there was a bug in the new software upgrade that has been fixed now - it seemed to affect any more than one image being uploaded in the same post. If you re-attach the 1959 image in your post above, it should work now - I've removed the invalid tag, so just upload and place it in-line and it should work this time :-D

However - the image you have uploaded shows 1956 - but the image file name would seem to be 1959? So maybe you have the wrong years attached to the images - just in case you didn't spot it :)
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Thanks Marc

I had several attempts to upload both files and although they showed on the list they didn't appear on the preview. I had better put the other one on just to prove I have a license. :wink:

Peter
1959 driving license.jpg
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I think I still have mine kicking around here somewhere.
Pointless looking for it, it will only turn up when searching for something else.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 11:37
1959 driving license.jpg

Love it! Yours was issued just a few days after I was born Peter :)

I can just remember Dad's license like that and you know, I think, amongst his stuff I've archived, I may still have it...

I also remember him having a very similar looking and sized little book with two hearts on it... That as his blood donor record book...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

My dad never had a car Jim, very few people did in those days and the only teenagers you would see with one in the '50s were TV engineers. 8-)

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

My dad started riding motorbikes before he was legally old enough to Peter and he started driving cars as soon as he could... Bar his war years where he worked as a despatch rider and convoy mechanic, he was never without a car right up until 2013...

His first was a 1927 Austin 7 for which he had to carry three Magnetos... None of them were reliable and as one died he'd do a quick swap to one of the others and resume his journey :)

His last car, the Pixo, now resides with me...
Jim

Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Sounds a familiar story Jim. I used to carry a full set of tools round in my 1939 Prefect including three tyre levers, and a couple of spare innertubes, one to cut up for patches. all the tyres were bald but usually lasted until they wore through the canvas. I used to go down to Hastings or somewhere similar on my half day off and you might well see me at the side of the A21 repairing a tyre.

There was a common fault on those three speed boxes that the thrust washer behind 2nd gear would break, the initial problem would only be the loss of 2nd gear but if you put it in reverse, the gear would drop off its sleeve and jam it in reverse. Fortunately the floor came out and if you removed the gearbox cover bolts you could lift the cover high enough to get a screwdriver in each side and lift second gear back onto the shaft.

First gear was only good for 10 mph so you were perpetually in the wrong gear, but it beat driving home in reverse.

Peter
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Would be a shame to leave Ian Allan without a view of the Locospottters annual

That particular cover features "All Change At Crewe" a painting by Vic Welch and for me takes us to the time when magazines/annuals/posters etc featured the work of some fantastic illustrators and artists.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 15:30 There was a common fault on those three speed boxes that the thrust washer behind 2nd gear would break, the initial problem would only be the loss of 2nd gear but if you put it in reverse, the gear would drop off its sleeve and jam it in reverse. Fortunately the floor came out and if you removed the gearbox cover bolts you could lift the cover high enough to get a screwdriver in each side and lift second gear back onto the shaft.

Those were the days Peter :) Couldn't do that on toady's cars...

Dad's magnetos all chose their times when to work.. The best one for starting from cold would pack up when it got hot but the one that was best when the engine was hot was not good for starting...

Dad also told of the times he'd 'scrape in' white-metal big ends and mains by the side of the road! Once he had to do it whilst he, mum and my older siblings - before I was born - were on holiday... He did the job outside their beach-side chalet at Dunster...

I believe that was on a Ford 8... By the time I came along he had an Austin A35 van...
Jim

Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Yep, no shells in those days Jim, white metal bearings.

Peter
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Jigsaws, when did you last do one?

Nice one here of "The Duchess of Atholl" from a painting by George Heiron, an illustrator/photographer and painter connected with Ian Allan publications.

This website would you believe it dedicated to "Steam Trains and Jigsaw Puzzles" has a very nice slide show of similar such jigsaws

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Oh jigsaws and me just don't get on :(

They never have... Too bloody tedious and the end result never justifies the pain and suffering...

I have exactly the same problem with all board games, chess, all card games and anything allegedly recreational that I feel traps me into a sedentary spot I cannot easily escape from and seem to have no point to them...

Chess I hate with a most especial passion :evil:

I may enjoy extreme jigsaws - say doing one whilst running a half-marathon or something...
Jim

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

A couple from me, Fuel Pump and an AA Phone Box

the village of Withington and Coventry Transport Museum respectively

My missus has usually got a a Jigsaw puzzle on the go.
Attachments
Withington 1094.JPG
AA.jpg
Puxa