Snow good!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Snow good!

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Labrador leg deep snow
DSC00037.JPG
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Rode my bike home from work this afternoon and in 10 miles I encountered everything from bright sunshine to a blizzard!!!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

The Xantia now looks like a hand sculpted model ready for wind tunnel testing... :lol:
The attachment IMG_0589.JPG is no longer available
The attachment IMG_0589.JPG is no longer available
Snow still falling by the bucket load since I took those pictures this morning, we're getting the first ever snow red warning in Scotland from 3pm today until 10am tomorrow, which is a very definite stay at home... so looks like we'll be at home tomorrow as well! :mrgreen:

Edit: any mod know why when I upload two pictures it keeps telling me one of them is no longer available after submitting the post ? Attachment quota perhaps ? :? It appears in the preview but is gone after submitting.
Attachments
IMG_0587.JPG
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

snow.jpg
On my abortive trip to work this morning - I had in fact made it almost all the way there, when SWMBO rang to say the council slackers had closed the school, and she was feeling awful, so I had to come home. Interesting in places :lol:

Simon, the picture thing is something to do with the update the earlier in the week - Mike is working on it!
Richard W
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Zip, nowt, bu55er all here
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Slight dusting here, but when I was in Kintbury (near Newbury, visiting Mum on her narrow boat) yesterday evening it was -7C at 20:00.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

A light dusting here too now...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I had a bit of an adventure yesterday.
Had to go to my daughter's to fix lights.
Would call at Screwfix to collect parts and was dreading it - traffic at tea-time is horrendous - except it wasn't, I was in Screwfix ten minutes after leaving work, bought the bits and off to daughters, five minutes away.
Wrong parts (MCB with wrong plug).
Back to Screwfix, fifteen minutes, all downhill, following a very slow CR-V.
Returned the MCB, no alternative available, ordered standard cartridge fuses and left - sort of.
Snow had practically obliterated everything in under ten minutes. 2" of it covering the car and on leaving, all the roads were at a standstill.
Snuck out the back way, a longer return journey but probably faster.
Except the road was closed and despite that, jammed with cars that had ignored the notice.
Much slippy slidey going on, but not the C5.
Continued to another way back, even longer but still only a couple of miles, all went well (better than a normal day) until a mile from destination.
2mph when moving at all but mostly stationary, cars blocking the T-junctions so a nice little gridlock - pillocks!
Almost there, after two hours and just around a blind bend, cars parked on the opposite side of the road and traffic trying to move in both directions and failing for the most part, a double decker bus broken down on the 1-in 3 to daughters.
I let the three cars struggling to get past the bus pass it - Volvo 4x4 all over the place, allowed the stream of cars and vans that had been waiting to come down the hill then drove pas the bus and into her road with no drama whatsoever.

Left to come home an hour later without any problems - bus still stuck there though.
A1 was a mess. Lane 1 crammed with cars waiting to turn off - should be my turnoff but I never use it, too silly for words.
Lane 2 - everything proceeding at 30mph.Lane 3 empty.
Went into 2 until past the turnoff than dropped into 1 to the next turnoff at 50mph, no problem, could have done 70 without problems.
Crazy to see all the abandoned cars & vans, the slaloming off-roaders and madly spinning wheels gaining no traction.

Son took the car to work last night, as usual.
Didn't get home until after eight this morning (I was supposed to be at work at eight :(
He generally has nothing but contempt for it but today was full of praise, he had without difficulty driven past loads of stuck "posh" cars and was only late due to the roads being clogged with barely moving cars. Said it drove as though there was no snow there at all, something of an exaggeration but still.
Took me an hour+ to get to work, same reason, roads clogged with cars going nowhere.

I credit the Sailun Atrezzo all weather tyres, cheap as chips and proving to be excellent (£38 each).
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Do you think our old friends the Car insurance purveyors, will start latching on to the various colours of weather warnings as an excuse for knocking back any claims? (particularly "Red"!)

The good old advice from the boys in blue...."don't travel unless it is absolutely necessary" may lead our insurance companies to get claimants to justify why they chose to travel when warned not to, and assess the necessaryness of their journeys in the light of any claim.

Yes the poser springs from some "punter bloke down the pub type BS" which I came across quite plainly pontificating that if a "red" weather warning is in force and you choose to drive your car then you are effectively not insured should you put it in a hedge!

I'm sure people on here know the "facts"

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 28 Feb 2018, 18:52 "don't travel unless it is absolutely necessary"

I always subscribe to that piece of advice, whatever the weather and when I have to travel I only use a car if absolutely necessary...

Today I needed to travel a mile or so to the dentist so strapped on my trail running shoes (very grippy as they're designed for running off-road) and walked.

Glad I did as the vehicles were making heavy weather of it...
Jim

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Decided to hit the snow-covered lanes today "for fun" (I could have gone on the main road which was clear), I took the AX. FUN FUN FUN :) Light as a feather, skinny tyres and FWD, still got a smile on face.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

This will be us later on - saving a few quid on the heating bills, now that Storm Emma is heading up.
Snow Hut.PNG
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I built a little igloo once when the kids were small. Great fun!

They work too... They loved it...
Jim

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Apparently there are low gas supplies in the country as a result of this weather... Honestly, when I was abroad in Germany in the 70s, we had very cold winters with snow half way up the front doors - not a problem. Regular household items were a snow shovel - as common as a spade or fork. They haven't got a clue over here how to deal with things - panic ensues instead of common sense.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 13:41They haven't got a clue over here how to deal with things - panic ensues instead of common sense.

That's true Marc, the whole country has become a bunch of wimpy, risk-averse snowflakes :evil:
Jim