Good Looking Modern Cars?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Re: Good Looking Modern Cars?

Post by wurlycorner »

Paul-R wrote: 27 Feb 2018, 22:31 I do think that Tesla cars have a good profile.

Yep, the model S is a great looking car
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

For me, one of the best looking modern cars is the Nissan GTR.
Screenshot_20180228-092925.jpg
If we are talking about cars I could afford, then the current incarnation of the Focus is about as good as it gets.
Screenshot_20180228-093729.jpg
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

now, at the risk of sticking my neck out, I rather like the 'Mustang-esque' Kia, and especially the colour, yellow, wahey! I can imagine its a 'Sea of Grey' inside though... shame.

Its a good job we're all different, because its the only car I like out of all the photos on this thread so far.

I don't suppose I'll ever be buying a Kia, but I note that I keep on hearing good things about the brand
Puxa
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

I have a theory that very few new cars have ever been attractive but a few, given at least 5 years, grow on you.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I'd argue that a CX defies that description.
I was staggered when I first saw one and that hasn't worn off yet.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

van ordinaire wrote: 28 Feb 2018, 20:55 I have a theory that very few new cars have ever been attractive but a few, given at least 5 years, grow on you.

I'd tend to agree but just like your CX experience Steve, some cars, like some women, create an instant and long-lasting attraction...

For me, the Pug 406 Coupe... The instant I first saw it I loved it and still do...

Ditto the H van...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
wurlycorner
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

CitroJim wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 11:43
van ordinaire wrote: 28 Feb 2018, 20:55 I have a theory that very few new cars have ever been attractive but a few, given at least 5 years, grow on you.

I'd tend to agree but just like your CX experience Steve, some cars, like some women, create an instant and long-lasting attraction...

For me, the Pug 406 Coupe... The instant I first saw it I loved it and still do...

Ditto the H van...

I've lusted after these since the first time I saw them when they came out (when I was 14) and I still absolutely adore them;
I own 2 (with a third in the household that was also mine) and every single day when I walk home and see them, I still absolutely love the look of it.

I've always from day 1 thought the Xantia s1 is a very pretty car too (which of course, I also own :lol: )
--
Iain

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

wurlycorner wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 11:59 I've lusted after these since the first time I saw them when they came out (when I was 14) and I still absolutely adore them;
I own 2 (with a third in the household that was also mine) and every single day when I walk home and see them, I still absolutely love the look of it.
Now that is one gorgeous looking car... All the right feminine curves in all the right places :D I'm in love with that one!

Another Honda I love is the S2000... And of course the NSX :D
wurlycorner wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 11:59 I've always from day 1 thought the Xantia s1 is a very pretty car too (which of course, I also own :lol: )

I quite agree :) And it's standing the test of time very well indeed...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
wurlycorner
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

Yep. Very with you on NSX and S2000 - both out of my price range, otherwise I would be adding those to my Honda collection :lol:
--
Iain

wurlycorner
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

Just to add to this... The C2 is a car that I absolutely hated the looks of when it was launched. It's only in the last couple of years that it's grown on me and now... I really like it!

I loved the look of the Saxo when it was first launched (much preferred it to the 106) but when they face-lifted it, I hated it (while conversely liked the face-lift to the 106 and my allegiance switched to that :lol: )
--
Iain

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

wurlycorner wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 12:26 I loved the look of the Saxo when it was first launched (much preferred it to the 106) but when they face-lifted it, I hated it

I agree about the S1 Saxo being the best looker...

But then I'm biassed as I have one :)
Jim

andy5
(Donor 2022)

Post by andy5 »

CitroJim wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 11:43 I'd tend to agree but just like your CX experience Steve, some cars, like some women, create an instant and long-lasting attraction...

Ditto the H van...

It's a pity the 406 wasn't built as a Xantia coupe with Citroen suspension. A 2.2 HDI Activa could have surprised some people.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Andy, yes, a crying shame :(

I believe the 406 coupe was originally intended to be the Citroen Activa...

Why it never happened I've never been able to determine...
Jim

van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

The CX may be the exception that proves the rule - except it's not a rule; I was very care to specify "few new cars".

BUT, mention of CX's reminds me of the "Opera" at Retromobile that I mentioned in my blog & promised to return to, having allowed enough time for guessing games. Apparently, it was one of 7 4-door saloons built, it had a very formal roofline, which really shouldn't have worked - but did & gave it a presence that the original never achieved. Far more impressive than any of the presidential Citroens "DS" had on display - except, maybe, the 4-door SM convertible.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
nimchimpsky82
My Cars: nothing French yet... just *cough*Japanese*cough*

Post by nimchimpsky82 »

EDC5 wrote: 27 Feb 2018, 12:15 Image

Might not be a popular choice, but the curves at the back of the C class coupe are delightful.

I agree; nice looking car.
CitroJim wrote: 28 Feb 2018, 05:45 'Remastering' such designs as the Mini doesn't count! They're old traditional styles that have stood the test of time ;)

It's cheating for any manufacturer/designer to pass them off as modern, current styling schemes...

That excludes a few American cars I would nominate, then: Camaro, Challenger, Charger, Mustang.

Disregarding these, a few small modern cars have got the design right to my mind: Audi A1, Renault Twingo and Vauxhall Adam.

Several big cars look good too: Infiniti Q50 and Q70, Maserati Ghibli (all of which look quite similar!) and Volvo V60 and V90 (which are of course similar to each other as well, if not to the Infinities and the Maser).

Not so much in between for some reason, although an Audi A3 saloon is nicely proportioned, and coming back to Mercedes, I like the CLA Shooting Break as well, though even more in the flesh than in a photo.

Also not many sports cars I like... Most of them I just find flashy and preposterous, with horrible, childish interiors. I used to like the RCZ but that's out of production now... The Mazda MX-5 RF does it for me, as does the new Alpine A110, although that is strictly speaking subject to CitroJim's constraint on cars inspired by the past...

Last edited by nimchimpsky82 on 19 Mar 2018, 16:29, edited 1 time in total.