Good Looking Modern Cars?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Good Looking Modern Cars?

Post by Zelandeth »

Thought it could be interesting to see what some of you see as the best looking of the current (or recent) market...

We had this home as a demo a few days back.
IMG_20180226_225204.jpg
IMG_20180226_225221.jpg
IMG_20180226_225244.jpg
It's one of those designs which for me just works. Especially in such a vivid colour like that. It's big, it's butch, it's in your face in the same sort of way as the Mustang. Somehow not falling into the "trying too hard" camp like things like the BMW M-series and suchlike.

It's a great looking car I think - and very nice too inside - the only thing any of us could come up with as a niggle was that it was a bit dull inside. Just needed a little splash of colour, though it's entirely possible that could be sorted in the options list. I reckon we just some yellow stitching on the (black leather) seats would have made it perfect.

In case you wondered, it's a Kia Stinger. 300+bhp V6, RWD (and yes, you *can* turn the traction control off for hooning about on a track), and in the full-day spec (even including a heated steering wheel and heated seats in the back) is somewhere around £35K. Sounds a lot...

...until you realise that an equivalently specced Audi S4 (which still misses several toys, only has a 4-pot rather than a V6, and is about 25% down on power) would set you back north of £50K once you've added the extras.

Know which one I'd have.

Aside from everything else...just look at it! The Audi would just be so boring almost no matter how you spec it. Plus it would break your spine every time you hit a bump. This thing has firm ride...as you'd expect from a big 300+ bhp sports car. It however isn't jarring like Audi's seem to be. It's firm yes...but still manages to be comfortable.

I love the attention to detail as well like how the shut lines from the rear doors line up with the tailgate and things like that. The devil is in the detail they say...and there's a lot of carefully considered details on this car.

Never thought a Kia would make it onto my wishlist...this one just did though!

Got to be that colour though. Know if that lived in the driveway it would make me smile every time I saw it.

Okay folks...what else is there that looks this good these days?
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Good Looking Modern Cars?

Post by CitroJim »

Zelandeth wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 23:08 Okay folks...what else is there that looks this good these days?

Firstly I don't think that one does look good Zel, It doesn't do it for me; sorry :(

The Lada looks far better...

I'm stuck fast trying to think of ANY modern car that looks good to me at the moment... I shall try but I fear I may be on a fools errand...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

A new topic on OTCL, I am going to give it a go and open my eyes a bit to see if I can come up with anything,

The last modern car to turn my head was the volvo XC90, but not in a good way, parked alongside it it towered over my little Vectra, and the one before that was a Mini 4x4 thing which again stopped me in my tracks thinking is that the size of a mini now!

I will survey the supermarket car park, but am not particularly hopeful. A first generation Clio in yellow took my eye as the pick of the car park, and in general I am childishly drawn to brightly coloured things, which probably rules out 99.9% of the car park modern stock!

Maybe I should next time just take a picture of "The best modern in the supermarket carpark" while not necessarily saying that I actually like it!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Skoda Yeti, 2017 ?
Chris
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

On my walk to the swimming pool and back this morning - a half mile or so - I looked at all the cars along the way, both parked and moving...

The most attractive to me was a red new-style Citroen C1...

I find the Pug 208 fairly tolerable as well...

Cars these days generally lack nice feminine curves and all look like they're obese, lardy-arsed and need to go on a serious diet and get a bit of exercise...

Still, that's to be expected given the news that the so-called 'Millennial' generation are on course to be the fattest and most obese in history so I suppose the car designer are just following the trend!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

I think the difference of opinion between people is half of what should make this an interesting topic. Beauty is very much in the eye of the beholder, and different people will like different things.

I don't envy the job of the designer these days given how many conflicting requirements that they have to reconcile. By the time you've made something which satisfies all of the pedestrian safety requirements, is streamlined enough to shave every millimetre out of every gallon of fuel and has room to package all the equipment people have come to expect these days...it can't leave much room for design flair.

I think something which draws my eye to the Kia is that like the design of not...it actually does look to have been designed by a person rather than a robot, and does look like it's own thing rather than just yet another largish car.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
NewcastleFalcon

Of course when darkness falls, and you can't make out either the dull colours, or the identikit shapes, the modern car really does offer a visual feast (really there aren't any decent emoticons for sarcasm!) :-D This is when they show their true individuality (really there arent any decent emoticons for sarcasm...can we invent/agree on one!)

Oh dear have to admit it. I quite like the Alfa lights branding and do play a bit of I-spy tail lights on nighttime drives!

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 27 Feb 2018, 12:22, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Post by EDC5 »

Might not be a popular choice, but the curves at the back of the C class coupe are delightful.
Fake Concern
My Cars:

Post by Fake Concern »

This looks quite nice for a new car. Not too keen on the rear lights mind.

http://www.davidbrownautomotive.com/mini-remastered/
Fake Concern, Volvo C30 T5 2011
Mrs Concern, Renault Moodus 1.6 Privilege 2004
Ms Concern No1, Pug 207 1.4 2008
Ms Concern No2, Citroen C4 VTS 2007
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Fake Concern wrote: 27 Feb 2018, 12:20 This looks quite nice for a new car. Not too keen on the rear lights mind.

Agreed. Lights look wrong, as does the swage line down the side and the bump in the boot... Is it pregnant and expecting a spoiler?

Smooth that lot out and put some decent lights and it'll look fairy decent then...

Those exhausts look wrong too... Exhausts, like arseholes, should always be hidden...

But then it being a Merc it'll be driven by arseholes so I guess they'll appreciate and identify with them :lol:
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

The supermarket survey has been completed....ASDA to be precise, and I have chosen in my opinion the "best of the Moderns" on display today 27th February 2018.

..and the title "Asda Carpark Modern Car of the Day" goes to....

This

Regards Neil

PS on the drive home did notice the latest rear light offering from Jaguar. Its sort of a squiggle.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Fake Concern
My Cars:

Post by Fake Concern »

CitroJim wrote: 27 Feb 2018, 13:54
Fake Concern wrote: 27 Feb 2018, 12:20 This looks quite nice for a new car. Not too keen on the rear lights mind.

Agreed. Lights look wrong, as does the swage line down the side and the bump in the boot... Is it pregnant and expecting a spoiler?

Smooth that lot out and put some decent lights and it'll look fairy decent then...

Those exhausts look wrong too... Exhausts, like arseholes, should always be hidden...

But then it being a Merc it'll be driven by arseholes so I guess they'll appreciate and identify with them :lol:

Look again Jim, I wasn't talking about the post above mine haha!
Fake Concern, Volvo C30 T5 2011
Mrs Concern, Renault Moodus 1.6 Privilege 2004
Ms Concern No1, Pug 207 1.4 2008
Ms Concern No2, Citroen C4 VTS 2007
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I quite like the Mercedes CLS 600 but the old one was better.
Otherwise, not much at all.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

I do think that Tesla cars have a good profile.

As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Fake Concern wrote: 27 Feb 2018, 19:03 Look again Jim, I wasn't talking about the post above mine haha!

Sorry, thought it was the Merc you meant :oops:

'Remastering' such designs as the Mini doesn't count! They're old traditional styles that have stood the test of time ;)

It's cheating for any manufacturer/designer to pass them off as modern, current styling schemes...
Jim