Peugeot RT6 navi - strange board screen pointer?

This unit is the eMyWay system, also referred to as RT6, RNEG2, or WIPNAV+ for the Peugeot platform and made by Magneti Marelli.
Main Features: The eMyWay colour satellite navigation has high resolution mapping, Bluetooth Telephone & Audio Streaming supported profiles, USB support for Media files & CD

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

Dodich155
My Cars: Peugeot 207 1.6 HDI - MY2007
Peugeot 308 1.6 e-HDI - MY2013
Peugeot 5008 2.0 HDI - MY 2012

Peugeot RT6 navi - strange board screen pointer?

Post by Dodich155 »

Hi to all :)

Have recently bought my 11/2012 Peugeot 308 e-HDI and a few times now it has come up with the attached photo symbol.
Can only be described as an ice cream cone with a scoop of ice cream on top.
Any ideas what it may mean?

Have obviously checked all possible handbooks and have tried googling to know. Got over hundreds pages with information, also asked official Peugeot service but no clue about this symbol.
A couple of times it's has pointed in another direction or upwards towards the right, if that makes sense.
The model I have has the Magneti Marelli RT6 sat nav fitted, know also as RNEG2 - w/out SD card.
Recently did upgrade from 2.85 to 2.86, went all fine (got the CD from Peugeot) ... but still the ice cream is on.

Another thing I did - upgraded part of the maps, not all of them, if this could help.

I will appreciate if you share solving this issue.

Thanks in advance
Attachments
20180205_191500.jpg
20180205_191449.jpg
furriegurrie

Re: Peugeot RT6 navi - strange board screen pointer?

Post by furriegurrie »

Looks like the needle of a compass to me....
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi and welcome

Are you aware that after this upgrade to 2.86 (which is a major update) that some vehicles require their configuration to be updated. It can in some cases change some of the ECU head unit settings / multifunction display settings IIRC. Other issues concerned the parking sensor sound volume and some other niggles. There was also a Bluetooth Calibration file that needed applying too after this update to correct the bluetooth sound issue. This can be applied by the dealer via a download.

So although the firmware update was available on CD from the dealer - the calibration file I believe had to be downloaded separately by the dealer. They should also be able to check that the correct settings are there for your customer equipment options using Diagbox.

That Pin symbol is likely to do with the compass / navigation - and again might be because the Head Unit or the Multifunction Screen ECU need to be checked for correct options.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Dodich155

Post by Dodich155 »

Hell, Marc!

Thanks for your welcome and prompt reply!

This pointer pops up when "unmapped zone" is shown on navi screen and is different arrow than compass arrow.
In order to solve this I did upgrade from 2.85 to 2.86, not from lower FW. Generally everything works fine and only thing I found after that is parking sensor sound level, looks like have been lower.
It is like the system cannot find something and shows the direction how to get there.
If I do the whole map upgrades, do you think can solve this issue?
... or only calibration and further settings in Peugeot service can be performed to solve it?

Thanks!

Regards,
Vladimir
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi Vladimir, it is a known problem after the 2.86 update. Some people have not had an issue, others have experienced varying levels of problems.

Was your RT6 factory fitted at new, or was it upgraded from another head unit?

I suspect that som of the ECU settings are not quite right, but always worth a check. I would also get the calibration file applied by the dealer at the same time.

Yes the BSI settings for the equipment options can only be done with Lexia / Diagbox.

One of the other issues related to the PIN symbol is if the dashboard display screen is also not configured correctly, this can affect the display of the navigation directions. I've seen people have this issue when it is not configured correctly in the BSI or the wrong settings for the wrong screen have been applied.

Marc
Dodich155

Post by Dodich155 »

Many thanks, Marc!

The RT6 is factory fitted, just had to replace it because old (original) one had worn buttons.
It was with FW2.60, then I bought another unit from RCZ (UK car) which had FW2.85.
The guy that sold me the unit said it was not upgraded.
The only thing I did with new RT6 was to put my VIN number ... and after I run the car on street - pointer came on.

After that I checked with DiagBox the settings but everything looks fine.

The options for displaying the navigation instructions in RT6 menu are:
- Not displaying
- Displaying only on matrix instrument screen (my choice)
- Displaying only on head up display
- Displaying on matrix instrument screen and head up display

Of course my car has only matrix screen.

The options for Instrument panel menu are:
- Absent
- Present (my choice)

Do I need to look after another settings in BSI?

I will do the calibration as you advise and will ask Peugeot dealer to check display settings too.
Hope they will manage to fix it :)

Regards,
Vladimir
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

As the Head Unit has come from another vehicle, the ECU was / is programmed with the configuration from the original donor car and not your car. There can be very subtle differences between the display types and parameters. Although the Head Units are mostly the same between Citroen / Peugeot / DS, each model has a different electronic architecture (CAN system) and of course like the Peugeot, the screen is retractable but is fixed on Citroen like the C5 X7.... Also the dashboard LCD display is different to the Peugeot one - so the parameters are going to be different.

My knowledge covers mainly Citroen systems, so I can't advise you on the exact correct BSI parameters for your 308. But I can almost guarantee you that this is likely to be the problem, which is why I asked if it was original or an upgrade. :-D

The actual ECU is contained in the head unit so some of the options are stored in the memory of the unit - so when the Diagnostic tool is connected, the BSI is reading what is contained in the Head Unit ECU.

The donor vehicle that the RT6 came from may have significant or even small changes in specification, which may not match your car specification.

I hope that makes sense.

Things to check are Parking Assistance options, Type of Multifunction screen, Type of Dashboard Display, Directional Lighting. I the Audio / Head Unit / RNEG2 ECU, check the number of aerials are correct, the dual tuner options are set right etc. BUT be VERY Careful here - please don't guess at the options, because one simple change with the wrong option can leave the car inoperable or cause all sort of problems.

Sometimes there may be options that may seem like they should be changed, but you must not change any values that have DEFAULT values (the BSI technical programming document will state this that the dealer has access to) - as the same BSIs are used in several cars and have to be able to allow for the different car designs. Things like the temperature info, A/C settings and how / where they are displayed are very important to be set correct.

I hope you appreciate I can't go into specifics for your car as they will be different for the Peugeot. The dealer should be able to check this for you if they have experience of this - but in any case, they should have the correct BSI technical document for the 308 they can run through that tells them what the options should be set to for the RT6.

Marc
Dodich155

Post by Dodich155 »

Marc, I really appreciate your help!

All you have written sound logically and the best is to go now in Peugeot and let them do the settings with their dealer program.
Seems like they have all these information for each individual VIN code, as far as I understood from your message.

Now I understand why DiagBox is giving me on global test for RT6 - "Unit not recognized" and I need to choose it manually.
Suppose the unit doesn't correspond correctly with information in BSI :)

I will follow your instructions and will update you recently after I do the calibration and setting in Peugeot.

All the best!

Regards,
Vladimir
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, good luck!

Marc
Dodich155

Post by Dodich155 »

Hi Marc,

I want to update you with the situation with my "ice cream" on instrumental display.
The issue is solved!

Everything was coming from not properly done settings ... as you said in your posts :)
My type is a 16-character matrix display and doesn't show street names, the settings were with street names and was making some conflicts.
Because the unit was taken from RCZ, the option in DiagBox were only 16-character with street names or no navigation instructions. For my BSI the system gives three options - 9-character w/out street names, 16-char. w/out street names and 16-char. with street names.
Thanks to MiraScript and the guy behind this app, I managed to change it easily (w/out going to Peugeot and making totally new calibrations) to my settings and everything works fine now.
Also, a new menu is shown on main screen - water/oil temp. and TPM :)

After all, I plan to go to Peugeot to do the service calibration but now it is not an urgent :)

Hope this could be helpful to anyone that face such issue in future ;)

Regards,
Vladimir
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Well done - I didn't suggest Mirascripts initially, as I thought that might introduce another level of complication to the matter - but I'm glad you have now got it configured correctly. Thanks for the update, I'm sure it will help others :)

Marc